Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i went on a couple of hard runs to show a friend how horribly slow my slow ass car is, and afterwards i opened up the hood and saw that my turbo was glowing, crappy pic but it was at night with my crappy ass camera phone, but you can get the point haha. just being stupid. what exactly causes the turbo to glow red hot like that, could it be lean, or just overboosting the turbo. its the stock ct =-D time for a rebuild or trashing of it haha. o yeah, all the light is the glowing from my turbo, you can see how the turbo elbow is bright too. the heat shield was over the turbo too.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
your exhaust gases are like 1300F, so after long exposer to that heat the turbo and downpipe tend to glow...Its normal...just dont pour water on it :stickpoke

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I dont see any glow... But yea... turbo's get a lil hot!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
all the light in the pic, basically anything that wasnt black in that pic, was glowing red. and yes i know turbos get a little hot, but ive never seen my turbo glow like that, ever. ive ran my car hard many times and its never done that before. and it now doesnt feel nearly as good as it did before. doesnt have the kick like it used to. but ah well. i have a spare sitting around. i just thought it was interesting.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
my dads 280zx did that.. its normal. but as NegativeGeForce said dont pour water on it lol

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
I did that once with a 2.2 Dodge Shelby Charger -- was glowing bright enough to light up the entire engine bay! But didn't seem to damage anything......but I went back to using 20w-50 oil after that.

·
Registered
689 Posts
haha thats pretty sweet, i never realized it would do that. its hard to tell but what is that really bright spot? part of the compressor housing?

·
Registered
468 Posts
that bright white spot was the exhaust housing the little hole in the heat shield by the oil dip stick. i just got done racing some ford, then racing up and down my buddys street. i did get to about 135mph woot. haha fun, yet very stupid, good thing it was out in bfe haha.

this is skyline44_2001 on ippys name oops.

S

·
0 Posts
Glowing like that is fine. However, i believe that it indicates your exhaust gases aren't going out fast enough, thus trapping most of the heat. No damage occurs, but i'd still improve the exhaust flow.

·
Registered
689 Posts
sorcereur said:
Glowing like that is fine. However, i believe that it indicates your exhaust gases aren't going out fast enough, thus trapping most of the heat. No damage occurs, but i'd still improve the exhaust flow.

i dunnnooo i'd be afraid of this causing premature cracking of the wastegate hole.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
sorcereur said:
agreed but if that happened often I think it would severely shorten the life of the turbo

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
normal. happened on my old na all the time after a nice good run :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
MKIIINA said:
normal. happened on my old na all the time after a nice good run :)

the turbo on your old NA used to glow?? :dunno:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts