Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
open down pipe?

Hey guys i just put on a 3" down pipe i bought a wile back and i was woundering is their anything that i should be aware about?
my mods are a hks ssq bov and a k&n intake and this open down pip. and how long could i run open down pip before i pop something?
thanks

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Running on an open down pipe will hurt nothing. The turbo is actualy all the back pressure you need, so exhaust for turbo cars is really just courtesy towards other drivers if ya ask me. I ran mine off the turbo elbow for a while, funnest thing ever, sounded like a semi, scared people, and made other racers pee themselves.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
outofstep said:
Pip is a character from southpark. If you were to open him up, I imagine he would bleed.
thanks for pointing that out for me :bigthumb:

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
i have a Defcon DP... open. I said fuck the other drivers cuz id rather them hear me before they Merge INTO me.. plus, the CT26 makes some of the coolest noises in the world when it breathes thru an open DP.. only thing you need to worry about is how youre going to hang up the end of the DP so it doesnt drag on the ground or get hung up on speed bumps.

ive been runing open DP since the beginning of July. someday ill make the rest of my exhaust and muffler.

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
I too have been running open DP for a while now. However, prepare yourself by packing several aspiring if you are going on a long trip. The exhaust can get pretty friggin loud and obnoxious, though it is quite fun to see the looks and comments from other drivers.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Yea, running open DP is somewhat loud, but your floorboards REALLY start to heat up. Mine got so hot, i was worried about trafic jams. but the sound of the turbo spool is sooooo sexy

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,996 Posts
You can use a cut out like me!

Just get something like a Defcon, and cut off about 14-18" from the end.. put on the testpipe with the Y, and hook up the motor.. and keep the main cat, and when inspection rears it's ugly head... hit the button to close it up. ;) Lots of fun

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone ever got a ticket for open down pipe? mine is soo loud lol its like being under a simi!!!
thanks

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I got pulled over for it, but i got off, because i worked for the city i got pulled over in.....:D

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
93anthracite said:
I too have been running open DP for a while now. However, prepare yourself by packing several aspiring if you are going on a long trip. The exhaust can get pretty friggin loud and obnoxious, though it is quite fun to see the looks and comments from other drivers.
Any sound files of the open DP?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ran open header on my 442 big block. I cost me also $500 in fines.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wouldn't the carbon monoxide kill you? heh

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
I ran open DP for a week.....very cool sounding but damn, I couldn't stand more than 15 minutes of it. It was a lot of fun scaring the shit out of people that would look at you funny because of the whirring then open it up......it scared me at first :D

Any pics of cutouts?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've got the same plate, but It won't FULLY close cause of the design of the plate and how the plate rotates around the shaft. It came with RTV to seal those holes, but it all burned off( or was pushed off by the gasses). I'm too lazy to get the RTV and work on it so I'll just endure the exhaust leak sound.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've ran a open downpipe for a while too and damn it's loud (especially at peak boost!!) It does sound like a semi truck, you should hear it wind down, I love it but it will give you a freakn headache after a while, especially on the freeway!!! It's a blast though, everyone should at least try it once.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,996 Posts
Electric cutouts are good... but you may have the issue with not being able to close all the way.... they do make cable cutouts...

but I have yet to experiment with those.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts