Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Habitual Line Stepper
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a redundant question thats been asked before, but is it bad to run open downpipe on a stock twins setup? Is it bad for the valves? Open to all opinions.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
You mean a turn-down type exhaust? I don't know how running an open exhaust would affect the valvetrain on your car, but I know there's a couple guys on here with turn-downs and I don't think they've had any problems.

I think the real question would be, why would you want to run an open downpipe? :dunno:

·
Habitual Line Stepper
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response Craig, I guess I was just curious if I was to run open downpipe would it let the turbos spin easier without any back pressure. Again, this is just something hypothetical that I thought about and wanted to ask the experts.

·
Old School
4,056 Posts
It's extremely loud. But, since the best turbo exhaust in nearly no exhaust at all (a short megaphone is best in theory) it would certainly work.

·
Habitual Line Stepper
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, like I said, just a hypothetical situation, Im thinking of the backpressure and if would damage the motor internally at all, warped valves, etc..

·
Old School
4,056 Posts
Thanks, like I said, just a hypothetical situation, Im thinking of the backpressure and if would damage the motor internally at all, warped valves, etc..
All the backpressure is between the turbine and the exhaust side of the head, the DP isn't really a player in that at all.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I used to run open DP on one of my previous mkivs... its very loud, sounds kinda like a dump truck when driving normally (insane sounding when you're on it though), and boost spikes like crazy, but turbos did seem to spool faster.. ran it like that for almost the whole year I had that car, the only problems I had were angry neighbors and a few noise violation tickets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts