Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
71 Millimeters
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think i will have to to run an open downpipe for about a week or so ....anything i should look out for before doing it just wondering...thanks for any help fellas....

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just make sure where it ends isn't gonna burn anything...Not near any fuel lines, electrical wires...Etc.

Ideally You'd want to clamp on an elbow and send it out the side of the car, or you'll die of Carbon Monoxide..

Can I have your car after :p

·
Registered
814 Posts
lol dude i run a 4" open downpipe on my car, no problems at all, its just really annoying and loud and watch out for cops! :)

·
71 Millimeters
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i know it will be loud but i just want to hear my turbo buzz i just love it lol
thanks guys

·
Registered
814 Posts
trust me tho, it gets very annoying after a very short time...i've been running an open 4" DP for about a year now and i cant stand it anymore

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
i had a 4" open down pipe when i first put my t88h on and i immediately shut it off because i had the WORST headache of my life. now i LOVE loud cars, i cut the mufflers out of my truck and have a 4" straight pipe on my car but an open downpipe is just plain obnoxious. it sounds like ass and you wont hear your turbo, all you will hear is the nasty sound of the exhaust reverberating all under the car, trust me, either put a side pipe or run it to the back, you will not be happy with an open downpipe.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Are you still using the rear O2 sensor with the 4" exhaust ?

·
Registered
9,697 Posts
I am currently running a GT42R with an open 5" downpipe....it is INSANE. It is way too loud, but fumes/carbon monoxide isnt a problem at all. It sounds great when the turbo spools but it makes everything in the car rattle and the drone is horrible. I literally have some loss of hearing after driving 30 minutes or so.

Jason

·
Registered
92 Posts
i wouldnt worry about fumes...i have an 3" open DP on my SRT and never had to worry about fumes, just loudness....and you wont hear the turbo any better...to get that nice "spool" you will want a full exhaust, just my .02

·
Registered
72 Posts
i ran open DP on my SR20DET 97' 200sx SE-R. you lose a little low end.. gain a ton and a half of top end however. i picked up 3mph in the 1/4 with just the open DP.

as for not hearing it.. ehh. you can hear the turbo a lot more in a steady state cruise situation. on the gas, it all sounds the same.. just loud. :) if you like loud cars it's not a big deal. if you like being able to calmly chat with passengers it's a bit much.

as for you liking it or not liking it.. try it. it's all just personal opinion. however, keep an eye out for rainy days. you dont wanna get o2's wet :)

·
what comes out the butt?
4,469 Posts
i also ran an open downpipe for a while, really loud, fasttt spool on stock turbos..not really much of a noticeable difference in performance other than that though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts