Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping I'd be the lucky one of the bunch, the guy who got the 'weird' car which didn't get blown headgaskets.

:lol:

God damn it.

Past three times I've driven the car coolant will blow out of the overflow bottle and shoot steam out of the hood while idling in traffic or driving slowly, haven't romped on it since it first happened. Temp gauge doesn't overheat, baaaarely any milky crap underneath the oil cap, but the radiator is dry down to the fins as of today after filling it up before driving home. When I took the cap off the radiator wasn't pressurized either, but the overflow bottle was full to the brim. Slight sheen in the coolant, and occasionally at idle the exhaust fumes will smell like coolant but have a harsh blue tinge to it.

Better safe than sorry, I should do the headgasket over the next two weeks because I'm on Christmas break and I have the time. Problem is, I live in the northeast, where the polar bears would migrate to if they got bored of the arctic. I also have NO GARAGE. And my driveway is slanted.

I'll begin disassembly tomorrow morning after I procrastinate for a few hours and try to convince myself its not a bhg. Maybe a pressure test and a compression test to be sure its not a weird coolant leak/not a bhg. Pictures to come.

Going to call driftmotion to order an OEM HG and ARP studs on Monday, hopefully I can convince them to ship it out Monday if I pay for expedited shipping.

Going to snow on Monday :hide:

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
silly you thinking yours was different, lol
build a little tent out of visqeen and tape it to the car, heater inside, good to go.
no need to post pics of said frozen jewels :-0
gl

·
THE MAN
424 Posts
I grew up in utica I can only imagin how cold syracuse is rite now, thank god I moved to fl lol.

move to fl for the winter sidewinder, atleast you will be a cool snowbird with a mkiii ...

·
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mdr: I should do that but it's pretty windy sometimes, I don't think I have strong enough tape haha.

jz: Hey! Hows college treating ya? No need to come up, I should have everything off either today or tomorrow. I plan on wasting my time until the parts come by doing a mild port on the head/intake (http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...s...-and-such/page2&highlight=head+port+7mgte post #73 is helpful) and redoing the CPS wires. Thanks though!

jza80: I kinda wish I was in Utica because theres about a thousand MKIII owners there. But Florida would be better. 50 something degrees warmer there...

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
I hear ya Sidewinder. I too have my car outside. Sometimes ya just gotta bite the bullet and work in the cold. If getting a car tent isnt going to work for you its possible to do the next best thing. Bundle up and do a little at a time.

·
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A bit at a time it is ;)

I think I'm finished for today although I might go outside and loosen up the alternator/turbo for tomorrow. Intake manifold is off, pretty sure the only thing I need off is the turbo, alternator valve covers then that's it.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
college is alright i mean i kinda hate being away from all my friends and my gf and my fam since my college is strickly all american v8's lol but ok thats fine im always here if you need anythingg

·
Overlooked
4,677 Posts
Man I would test the radiator cap before i did anything as well as the usuals, compression and leak down test. It's cold, your exhaust will be whitish on start up due to condensation in the exhaust. Don't jump to conclusions lol. I did my brother in laws 2 years ago and he neglects the hell out if it ( let it overheat untill it turned itself off!) and the HG is still good (I didn't machine the block either :) ).

As I said, do the usuals first (while you're procrastinating) and make sure that's what you need to do. It would suck to take everything apart to find out $15 and 10 mins (trip to parts house) would fix the problem.

·
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
bassjunkien: Luckily my #6 cylinders water jackets were fubar'ed so it was indeed a bhg.

Head is in my basement, cams are out. Shims are measured. Have to head to home depot tomorrow to buy a 14 mm allen wrench and a 1" diameter PVC pipe to assist my p.o.s. valve spring compressor, I can't find one that will work anywhere except online.

Here's the problem: last time I did my spark plugs I shined a flashlight down into the cylinder and the pistons were nice and shiny. This was maybe a month or two ago. Afterwards I installed an HKS F-CON with the 550 chip, car ran decently fine after it adjusted. AFRs were high 11s ish.

As of NOW, the tops of my pistons are a black, crap color. The INTAKE valves are a dirty black, while the EXHAUST valves are chalky white. Anyone able to throw some insight into why the valves are discolored like this, the pistons as well? I brought up some spark plug discoloration tables (white is lean, black is rich or oily...I figured spark plug discoloration and valve discoloration reasons would be similar) but why are they different?

(PS: haven't looked at all cylinders yet only glanced at the #6 valves, other valves may be different. Might have something to do with the shims? They're all a bit on the worn side, some are out of spec.)

·
murdering the wallet
1,386 Posts
were you running 550/lex setup before? what kind of hg are you using?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Head is in my basement, cams are out. Shims are measured. Have to head to home depot tomorrow to buy a 14 mm allen wrench and a 1" diameter PVC pipe to assist my p.o.s. valve spring compressor, I can't find one that will work anywhere except online.
I used a crappy $20 C clamp style compressor from sears. Then the PVC with a spot cut out for getting at the keepers. A magnetic 'part grabber' is a must as well.

It's not very stable doing it this way and required two people. One to run the compressor and one to install the keepers. Even with two I still took a spring to the cheek and lost 2 keepers.

Are you upgrading the valve springs while you have them out or just doing the stem seals?

And I wish I had seen that post about porting the seats while I had my head off. :(

·
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just doing the seals and shims. I just got back from buying some pvc pipe haha, .75 inch diameter and cut a hole in the middle. I don't see why you'd need two people, is that if the head was still on the car?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Nope. Head was off. The PVC wanted to slide out and bottom piece that held against the valve was rounded making the whole thing unstable. Didn't expect much though since it was only a $20 tool.

While you've got it apart you may as well upgrade to the Comp Cams springs. For ~$70 they made a noticeable difference over 4k rpm.

·
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope. Head was off. The PVC wanted to slide out and bottom piece that held against the valve was rounded making the whole thing unstable. Didn't expect much though since it was only a $20 tool.

While you've got it apart you may as well upgrade to the Comp Cams springs. For ~$70 they made a noticeable difference over 4k rpm.
Just took out the 4 valves on #6, the PVC won't slide out but has a hard time seating on the (retainer?) on the top, a bit of wiggling does it good though.

I think we have the same tool, its rounded on the other side and cost 20 bucks.

How much of a difference, what kind of difference? If I can find someone local to sell it and its worth it I'll do it, shouldn't take too long.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
IIRC:
Stock springs are 45lbs
Comp Cams are 55lbs

Brand new OEM springs vs CC springs wouldn't be too much difference but old worn stock springs vs CC will be night and day.

The main thing it helps is valve float at higher rpm. Most people who have them (myself included) notice a good deal of difference over 4k all the way to redline.

Local speed shops may have them as they're the inner springs for a dual spring big block Chevy. You need 2 boxes of 975-12 (975 is the part #, 12 is how many if they only have 975-1/975-16).

·
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds good to me, ordered earlier. Autozone guy said they'd be in Tuesday ish because of the holiday, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they'll be in Monday or something.

Thanks for the info! I haven't stumbled into anyone saying anything about comp cams springs before this, I'm not sure how or why.

·
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Autozone is retarded, the estimated arrival date changed from Tuesday to January 8th, which isn't a Tuesday. Summit had it here today.

Damn this all is time consuming.

Oh, and unless I'm stupid and lost a bottom retainer/found a thick washer that belongs NOWHERE, someone used a washer in place of a bottom retainer for one of the valve springs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts