Votes: 12 35.3%
  • FX 35

Votes: 22 64.7%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm selling the Benz becuase my wife needs a four door.

In your opinion and for the money, would you get an FX 35 or a Cayenne?

The Cayenne is a about 12-15k more and it has the cool Porsche cachet behind it.

Opinions, advice?

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
How about instead of trying to impress the jones' by getting some german brand name car you go with something sensible like a rx330 or a LX470? If you can't get the cayenne s or the turbo then whats the point in driving a bottom of the line car but paying 10-15K more than other vehicles that have a crapload more equipment? So you can say you have a porsche? Thats gay. And you do know that MB has a new suv on the market. What not another MB?

I've heard the infiniti 4.5 v8 was having oil consumption problems but if youre seriously interested I'd suggest researching it. I don't know much about the fx35 since I only drove one for a few days as a loaner car but it handles really well, sounds good, accelerates nicely but it sucks for loading stuff in and out of the back (I'm used to using a 02 qx4), not much room at all for an suv. Also, I don't think I'll be selling my family on any other nissan/infinitis. Since we've had a qx4 the transmission has been shit and the dealer says its not bad enough for the warranty department to honor replacing it. Its been in the shop now 4 times for the same thing. Not to mention the plastic interiors are about par with gm (but with better styling) and are still below lexus/toyota and honda/acura standards.

I'd look at lexus before an fx35. And if you aren't getting a cayenne s or turbo then I wouldn't bother. Thats my opinion.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
The FX35 actually has better reliabilty scores than a Lexus RX. April 2006 Consumer Reports gave the FX35 a red circle top reliability ranking vs. a semi-red circle ranking for the Lexus RX. Compared to big sedans and the BMW X5, the FX35 is very practical, but of course a lower tier versatility SUV overall.

My momma's 2004 FX35 Touring Pkg. has had zero warranty issues other than new wiper blades thrown in.

Design miscues: Foot ingress/egress for the back seat people is tough. Without A/C, vents blow hot air when stuck in gridlock traffic even in cold days (poor HVAC intake location).

Car is solid as a rock. Body lean is impressively limited (try taking it through the curves). Ride w/18" wheels is perfect and excellent control when loaded.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I was also pleased to see a few months go an 18" rimmed 2003 FX35 for $34,997 "as advertised" at a Ford dealer used lot. The 18" rimmed FX35 is strong indication that it is not a decked out FX35. This in turn means the $34,997 after 2+ years is selling for almost as much as it was new. Talk about great resale value.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
"(All around including price)" was mentioned in the thread. So a Porsche dealer (actually recently left the dealer) finance dude mentioned $75,000 for a Cayenne V8 NA. That price difference compared to a moderately optioned FX35 is enough to get (or nearly so) a pre-owned C5 Z06.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Edit: I haven't driven the Cayenne, so I can't comment on it. I have heard from Porsche people that they have some annoying problems -- persistent steering wheel shake, or something like that -- can't recall exactly what it was, but if you haven't looked into that it would probably be worth some investigation.

The FX45 feels way more impressive than the 35, IMO, and the 2004 model rides much better than the '03. They made some suspension changes in '04 due to lots of complaints on the '03 model. The 35 feels reasonably fast until you drive the 45, which feels more like a decent-running sedan than it does an SUV. I like the 45 a LOT for an SUV-type vehicle. That said, I just bought an GX470 last weekend for a local daily driver after deliberating over that and the FX45. 2 main reasons:
1. neither of these are performance vehicles, so the extra muscle that the 45 has doesn't mean too much to me.
2. I'm afraid that the depreciation on the FX will continue to drop like a stone, whereas the Lexus/Toyota is much easier to predict. I wanted something that wouldn't depreciate TOO much over the next couple years, so I looked around and found a great deal on the '03 GX470. The more I drive it, the more I like it. I guess I'm just a comfort hog. :D

Plus, now I'm all Toyota! :bigthumb:
LS430 (love it!)
GX470 (love it so far!)
Supra T (do I even have to say it?) :D

EDIT again: GX470 -- I bought a damned GX470, not LX. I can't even type. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
STAGED said:
I was also pleased to see a few months go an 18" rimmed 2003 FX35 for $34,997 "as advertised" at a Ford dealer used lot. The 18" rimmed FX35 is strong indication that it is not a decked out FX35. This in turn means the $34,997 after 2+ years is selling for almost as much as it was new. Talk about great resale value.
Around here 2003s are easy to find in the mid-$20K range, so that's what you'd have to contend with if you were trying to re-sell. You can buy a new 2006 for $38,xxx. There are always the stealerships (like your Foad dealer) trolling for suckers, but the '03 and '04 35s and 45s are available for pretty heavily depreciated prices.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Thanks for the good info Boost Junkie. One note at year-end (which is much later than usual for FXs), FX45s (which are loaded) in many cases are really being given away while loaded FX35s are more narrowly discounted. One usually sees a fairly close convergence of the street prices vs. the original MSRP differences.

Alas, the FX45s barely get a white circle average reliability ranking by CR.

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
The FX35 actually has better reliabilty scores than a Lexus RX. April 2006 Consumer Reports gave the FX35 a red circle top reliability ranking vs. a semi-red circle ranking for the Lexus RX.
Red circles on paper mean nothing to me. I've driven them both and I will tell you that from what I have experienced the toyota product is superior. If you want a quick, well handling suv and must have an infiniti then the fx35 is the way to go. If you want to be pampered and have peace of mind in that the vehicle youre driving will last 200K miles with no issues I believe the lexus is the way to go. Not to mention its bush button auto rear opening/closing hatch is nice and it has a much larger cargo area, among other nice features. It may not handle as well as the fx but trying to get one of those rx300/330's side ways or unsettled is very difficult :D . And if youre dumb enough to pay 34K for an 03 fx35 then you deserve to be ripped off. You can easily find those vehicles for much cheaper than that so I doubt its a resale value thing and more of a, "lets price this at 34K and bend over some poor fool". As a matter of fact, a quick search shows one 03 fx35 with 35K miles going for 32K. All others, even ones with the same (and less!) mileage, are going for 27-29K so those guys asking 32-34K are out of their mind.

To the original poster, if youre looking to spend some coin on a nice suv that can do many things well, why not take a look at a new tahoe or the new denali/escalade? Well equipped tahoes for 45K, 50K for denalis and 60K for escalades. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
GSXXXguy said:
Red circles on paper mean nothing to me.
I'm with you on that.

But you raised the quality issue first. So I decided to set the record straight for the FX35 based on statistical sources.

Last but not least, this is a thread about FX35 vs. Cayenne. That already implies the desire to be on the performance end of the SUV spectrum, and maybe less on versatility, but heck of a lot better than any Benz sedan.

Now if this was not a poll, but rather a post stating someone's soccer mom wifee just got rid of her Odyssey and kids went to college and wants to bracket down on utility and up on panache, then the RX would be a great recommendation.

And to comment on the FX reliability without mentioning the reliability of the Cayenne/Toureg platform is a big omission. That platform is among the worst I believe. It's not just problem count of course but the cost after the warranty expires.

·
irie
168 Posts
How do you figure the fx35 is subpar to the 45? The "complaints" of the suspension your talking about is called stiff suspension. When The suspension option package was offered people didn't expect it to be that stiff and plus the 20" tires made it more of a hard ride, but more responsive. But people compained becuase there poor old butts hurt. Well i guess thats what happens when you ask for the "suspension package" Some poeple are so dumb these days.

I have a 35 with all the tech stuff in it, and i can say its one of the best handling crossovers i have driven. And yes its comparable to the cayenne but with the v8 option. The oil consumption problem was with the 2003, 2004 models which have been corrected. If you want a a crossover that feels like and drives like a sports car then get the 35 or 45 with the tech package and the stiffer suspension. But be aware.. the suspension package upgrade is allot "softer" than the '03 package, the 03 package was the best suspension if you want a stiff ride, which i don't care , because I'm used to it with my other cars. The 45 is significantly faster, but there's more aftermarket support for the 35 and its not that slow either. Plus the v8 creates more under steer for the vehicle because its more heavy in the front , so you cant really have allot more "fun" than a 35 if you care to explore the limits. I'm over all impressed with my car, and last year added a Stillen strut bar which made the steering feel even more precise and neutral.

For the comforts of the FX, AND an impressive Porsche like performance... nothing above said except the cayenne will come close and for a very reasonable price. My AWD FX came with Tech package, which is DVD, Navi, key less entry, with the key fob very impressive Bose system, adaptive cruise control which has lasers to determine vehicles in front of you and applies brakes in event of an emergency, and the suspension package comes with 20" wheels which you can choose chrome or silver, and stiffer suspension which the stiffest came in '03 . Oh and heated front seats. And all for $46-55K. Thus the aforementioned things i said can cost you a premium with the Porsche, which can lead to 70k or more on just the S model. ( Go to the Porsche website and find out) Overall I'm impressed and i will never trade it in.
But, you can choose AWD, or just RWD.

Now.... if you want just creature comforts and more room, and don't care about performance, then get Lexus RX. Its not bad and has more room to store things. Or the MDX. Its up yo you. Or just get aSRT-8 Cherokee.
But you saying the FX is not reliable is like comparing the reliabilty of a DSM. IM at 50000 miles and yet to have a problem.

"a quick search shows one 03 fx35 with 35K miles going for 32K."
GSSX GUY.........
Is that with the tech package with 20" wheels or the base models with RWD?

That makes a big difference in resale price.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Some neat features on the FX35 (lots of good hardware)

Now the RX probably has its own set of unique features appealing to safety conscious people or audiophiles (M. Levinson).

But I think Infiniti FX features are neat for those looking for a sporty SUV

1.) 105,000 mile tune-up interval is benchmark with Cadillac
2.) Forged multi-link aluminum rear suspension control arm layout (Lexus is more mundane)
3.) Special clear-coat technology makes it more resistant to scratches
4.) ATTESA ET-S (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split) off the race proven Skyline GT-Rstarts 50/50 AWD from stop, then switches to RWD if no slip is detected. System is a variable torque split to aid in dry weather performance handling too. I believe th RX AWD is full-time.
5.) Vented 12.1" rear discs (vs. solid 11.3" rear discs for RX330, don't know about RX350)
6.) Near 50/50 weight distribution!!! The engine is packed way back near the firewall snugly!
7.) Continuosly variable valve timing (vs. not continuous for RX330, don't know about newer RX350)
8.) 0-60mph: 7.3 sec (RWD FX35) vs. 8.5 (FWD RX330, RX350 is faster), from MT 9/2003
9.) 200' skidpad: 0.79g for FX35 vs. 0.68 for RX330 MT 9/2003
10.) Fuel tank capacity: 23.8 gallons for FX vs. 19.2 gallons for RX (547 vs. 499 highway miles per tank)
11.) 4 yr/60k mi basic warranty vs. 4/50 for RX
12.) 4 yr/60k mi roadside vs. 4/50 for RX
13.) One of the very few manufacturers to offer high beam HIDs with cockpit adjustable low beam angle on top of self-leveling features.
14.) Timing chain (quiet rubber coated) for maintenance free operation vs. some rival's timing belts
15.) Hydraulic (liquid) drive cooling fan for quiet operation in low speeds as with some Toyotas too
16.) Ripple control suspension dampers (shocks) to improve ride comfort in high frequency bump surfaces
17.) Microfinished cams/crank journals and coated piston skirts: lower friction. Also coated piston skirts allow a tighter bore clearance spec for less cold start slap and emissions.
18.) Infiniti Torque Demand (ITD): When the FX goes up a hill, the FX will sense the grade and add more throttle angle to maintain the speed so the driver does not have to press harder on the gas pedal. This has nothing to do with the cruise control.
19.) Fail safe transmission: If the transmission is at very high temperature or excessively low fluid level, the tranmission will lock in 3rd gear!!! This will prevent gearshifts that will instantly destroy the transmission.
20.) Front frame structure is composite to reduce weight and improve weight distribution
21.) Weld bonding: This FX uses very few welds, and in fact uses space age adhesives for the ultimate in rigidity and lightweight
22.) Advanced HIDs: Not only is the HID manually adjustable (rare), not only does it have high beam HIDs (rare), it can be serviced by just bulb removal, not the entire HID unit!!! This reduces service costs.
23.) Not only is the glass tinted at certain parts, but the glass has UV-filter to make a large impact in comfort and loading on the A/C.
24.) Sunroof and windows have a pinch sensor
25.) Windows are not just automatic down on driver-side. It offers automatic quick-touch down AND up on BOTH driver and passenger side
26.) Seat cushion is made from an inert gas vs. CFC ozone killers for environmental friendliness. The cushions are also recyclable.
27.) Remote control latch can pop rear seats down flat
28.) Speed sensitive intermittent wipers and radio volume!!!

----
The RX400-h is probably tops for the bulk of people can afford such an SUV, but the FX35 is cool in its own right and can separate itself from the hoards of family cross-overs (Mazda CX-7, Tribeca, Murano, new Ford cross-overs, Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, new MDX, even the Highlander, etc.) better than the RX350 can.

·
irie
168 Posts
STAGED said:
Some neat features on the FX35 (lots of good hardware)

Now the RX probably has its own set of unique features appealing to safety conscious people or audiophiles (M. Levinson).

But I think Infiniti FX features are neat for those looking for a sporty SUV

1.) 105,000 mile tune-up interval is benchmark with Cadillac
2.) Forged multi-link aluminum rear suspension control arm layout (Lexus is more mundane)
3.) Special clear-coat technology makes it more resistant to scratches
4.) ATTESA ET-S (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split) off the race proven Skyline GT-Rstarts 50/50 AWD from stop, then switches to RWD if no slip is detected. System is a variable torque split to aid in dry weather performance handling too. I believe th RX AWD is full-time.
5.) Vented 12.1" rear discs (vs. solid 11.3" rear discs for RX330, don't know about RX350)
6.) Near 50/50 weight distribution!!! The engine is packed way back near the firewall snugly!
7.) Continuosly variable valve timing (vs. not continuous for RX330, don't know about newer RX350)
8.) 0-60mph: 7.3 sec (RWD FX35) vs. 8.5 (FWD RX330, RX350 is faster), from MT 9/2003
9.) 200' skidpad: 0.79g for FX35 vs. 0.68 for RX330 MT 9/2003
10.) Fuel tank capacity: 23.8 gallons for FX vs. 19.2 gallons for RX (547 vs. 499 highway miles per tank)
11.) 4 yr/60k mi basic warranty vs. 4/50 for RX
12.) 4 yr/60k mi roadside vs. 4/50 for RX
13.) One of the very few manufacturers to offer high beam HIDs with cockpit adjustable low beam angle on top of self-leveling features.
14.) Timing chain (quiet rubber coated) for maintenance free operation vs. some rival's timing belts
15.) Hydraulic (liquid) drive cooling fan for quiet operation in low speeds as with some Toyotas too
16.) Ripple control suspension dampers (shocks) to improve ride comfort in high frequency bump surfaces
17.) Microfinished cams/crank journals and coated piston skirts: lower friction. Also coated piston skirts allow a tighter bore clearance spec for less cold start slap and emissions.
18.) Infiniti Torque Demand (ITD): When the FX goes up a hill, the FX will sense the grade and add more throttle angle to maintain the speed so the driver does not have to press harder on the gas pedal. This has nothing to do with the cruise control.
19.) Fail safe transmission: If the transmission is at very high temperature or excessively low fluid level, the tranmission will lock in 3rd gear!!! This will prevent gearshifts that will instantly destroy the transmission.
20.) Front frame structure is composite to reduce weight and improve weight distribution
21.) Weld bonding: This FX uses very few welds, and in fact uses space age adhesives for the ultimate in rigidity and lightweight
22.) Advanced HIDs: Not only is the HID manually adjustable (rare), not only does it have high beam HIDs (rare), it can be serviced by just bulb removal, not the entire HID unit!!! This reduces service costs.
23.) Not only is the glass tinted at certain parts, but the glass has UV-filter to make a large impact in comfort and loading on the A/C.
24.) Sunroof and windows have a pinch sensor
25.) Windows are not just automatic down on driver-side. It offers automatic quick-touch down AND up on BOTH driver and passenger side
26.) Seat cushion is made from an inert gas vs. CFC ozone killers for environmental friendliness. The cushions are also recyclable.
27.) Remote control latch can pop rear seats down flat
28.) Speed sensitive intermittent wipers and radio volume!!!

----
The RX400-h is probably tops for the bulk of people can afford such an SUV, but the FX35 is cool in its own right and can separate itself from the hoards of family cross-overs (Mazda CX-7, Tribeca, Murano, new Ford cross-overs, Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, new MDX, even the Highlander, etc.) better than the RX350 can.

Shit, you summed it up very well, i can almost say that the FX and the RX are 2 different purpose vehicles with there own class. And im not being biased becuase i love the RX's, too, But i need to have a sprts car feel to anything i drive.

Good job on the info. Summed it up better than me.

Oh and the brakes are very very good and are big also.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
RX400h no second thoughts. :)

·
irie
168 Posts
davidX said:
RX400h no second thoughts. :)
The RX hybrid is a very good idea, and i would buy one too, but i heard the sales are very slow and i dont know why? It would be a better buy than any other hybrid suv due to the fact , that the GM hybrids are using 1st generation hybrid technology that was equivalent to the 1st gen prius. Im wondering if that is true or not.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
My sister has the Cayenne, the interior quality is not as nice as you would expect, the VW sibling is much more to my liking. As for the whole Lexus comparison, I am going to stay out of it this time. I will say that the LX is a great comparison-excellent even-one of the best SUV's of the past 10 years, the RX and GX on the other hand are not in any way luxury vehicles and you are better off in a Highlander or Sequoia. Really it's hard to give you a good assessment without a price point. Why choose an FX35 over a 45 and then compare it to the Cayenne? Whatever you do don't let "quality" and "reliability" concerns scare you away from a car. Especially if this is a new car you will not be out to dry as you will have a warranty and the law on your side. People love to bring up reliability and then fail to mention how well a car holds up after it has passed it's first year of ownership, that is the most important. Buy what you like. All cars from all companies offering products in the US are well built. Quality and reliabilty are relative. You can look at one brand and another comparing costs all day but in the end you are not buying the same product. A vehicle is the sum of many products trying to serve you the same way as the next guys vehicle. For example, infiniti. People have mistaken their economic turnaround for a mechanical one. That said their volume models like the world acclaimed G35 are much less likely to need repairs than something like the QX series of trucks which are all horribly built. But you're shopping for an SUV not a sedan, so you're not going to be concerned with the G35. And don't get me started on Consumer Reports, they are a sham. Almost as bad as Edmunds but not quite.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
boostinsixtt said:
How do you figure the fx35 is subpar to the 45?
LOL Go pull 2 plug wires off your Supra, take it for a drive, then come back and tell me how the 4-cylinder mode isn't sub-par to the 6-cylinder. Plus, the 35 has that annoying V6 exhaust note that is border-line too loud in a slow vehicle like the FX (slow compared to things that are modestly quick and performance oriented, not compared to the average SUV).

The "complaints" of the suspension your talking about is called stiff suspension.
Make that, Uselessly stiff to the point that the vehicle rides rougher than there's any use of yet doesn't really handle any better or do anything else any better. Well, if one were actually pushing this heavy pig hard on a track or something, he might see a quarter second difference in lap times, but who would buy one of these vehicles for that sort of use?

Well i guess thats what happens when you ask for the "suspension package" Some poeple are so dumb these days.
Yeah, Infiniti quickly decided that they'd been a bit dumb in thinking that a heavy SUV is a performance car that should have suspension too far in the direction of a Z-06. The '04 isn't soft by any means. It just has the needless teeth-rattling edge knocked off.

I have a 35 with all the tech stuff in it, and i can say its one of the best handling crossovers i have driven.
I definitely agree that they are better handling than any other SUV I've driven (I've driven the Cadillac but not the Porsche, and when you move to the truck-based SUVs there's no comparison). That, and the feel of the interior was the thing that made me interested in getting one. Well, not "handling" per se, partly because we don't have curves here in Florida, but more accurately it's the overall feel of the drive coupled with the GT-like cabin atmosphere. I was all set to get one, then went back for a confirming test drive and came away feeling like the car was really nice and in a completely different category than an SUV (and I generally don't like SUVs), but somehow it felt like it didn't really have control over those monster size (and I'm sure very heavy) wheels and tires. I don't know how exactly to explain it, but I came away thinking that it is definitely in the direction of a GT car relative to truck-based SUVs, but I'm somehow not feeling it completely because it's not all the way there. Good effort, though. Maybe the 20" wheels are just too big and heavy to be kept under control by the rest of the suspension on a vehicle the weight of the FX -- I don't know. I just know that it's missing somehing in my book. Does it handle far better than the GX470 that I ended up buying, or any other truck-based SUV? Hell YES. But does it make me think, This is a fukkin GT car? No. I still like the 45 a lot, but I decided to get the GX because it's a truck-based SUV without any personality conflicts, and for miscellaneous other reasons, not the least of which is interior room and my expectation of resale value. The FX is still a very interesting vehicle in my book though, and I can certainly see why someone would want one.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
GS450h.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't get the Cayenne V6, only get the Cayenne if you getting the V8. I have the Cayenne S V8 and I love it. I have drove the V6 one and it's so damn slow, not enough power for a car that size. I have test drove both the FX35 and 45, and I think they are great car, look good and perform very well for an SUV. I would get the FX35 if I'm getting a V6.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts