Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,097 Posts
Well, when I watched the top gear on the F50... he said something along the lines of "painted CF"

and the camera got close and you could see it.

I'll download it again and check it out.

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
yea, you can paint CF so it looks just like normal, you can also make it look tinted a different color, but still see the weaves (don't ask me how).

I don't think the CF hood is ricey on a supra, I mean come on, they actually weigh ALOT. Other people may think it's ricey, I don't, so I wouldn't give a shit :)

·
RIP 86.5 N/A, Hello 90T
2,293 Posts
I think for the money, it could be worth a shot.....but being a college kid well i aight being the ginea pig.

·
turbo
582 Posts
CF is rice? Hey if it cuts the weight by like 40lbs or whatever on the front I dont give a fuck if you call it rice. Just because a mazda has it who gives a shit.

·
RIP 86.5 N/A, Hello 90T
2,293 Posts
I agree yes people have put CF on there car even thou it couldn't help the car even if it wanted to (rice) but it shouldn't spoil it for us guys that it would serve a purpose too.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
That company has made alot of noise lately with some very nice CF products.
Just the fact that they are willing to make this hood with the correct braces underneath shows me they care, and that the mounts are good. That hood latch is correct, but needs another coat of gel to cover the scratches and clean it up.
In my case, the underside would be painted so it's not a big deal.
Finally a CF hood for under 400.00 for the MK3.
Duane does good work, but he needed this competition to bring the prices back down to reality. (When the cost of a honda CF hood is 1/4 what we are paying, something is wrong.)
The weight savings might be worth the 400.00 price tag. I don't car much about the way it looks. :)
Any way of confirming if the mold has a "dip" in it? I don't see it in the photos.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
if you like it what difference should it make if ricers have it or if other people disaprove, go for it...

Im impartial, ide prob get it just for weight savings.

Ang

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
Lenny, not in any way trying to act like a dick, I just want to know if you can prove this :) Cause if it does in fact have a dip, then it is probably not worth the money

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Ok, looked the pics back over, and can't see the slight dip. I do estimating for a living, so if it's there, you can't see it in a photo.
Any hints where it's at? Could we put a vent there?
Does this hood fit right from the SC group buy? I don't care if it has a dip, that just means we can negoiate a lower buy price:)
I'd repair the dip and paint the hood, or just add a vent where the dip is and be done with it as is.

·
:)
2,125 Posts
i had the hood, got rid of it...maybe they redesigned it....if you wanan find out for sure..buy it =D doesnt matter much to me ...not to sound like a dick :p

·
Can't touch this!
1,404 Posts
Lets ALL say this together......."I will support Duane, I will support Duane"!!!

I say why waste your time with some piece of crap, ugly hood when you can get an AMAZING CF hood from Duane!

I think I'm kind of biased because I am in love with everything he makes but if your gonna spend the money, do it right!

BTW: If your honestly serious about getting a CF hood, give Duane a call and I'm sure he can work something out with you! He will explain the difference between his products and the "other guy's" and he's up 24 hours a day pretty much so he's always available and lookin for someone to talk too!

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
2PHAT4U said:
Lets ALL say this together......."I will support Duane, I will support Duane"!!!

I say why waste your time with some piece of crap, ugly hood when you can get an AMAZING CF hood from Duane!

I think I'm kind of biased because I am in love with everything he makes but if your gonna spend the money, do it right!

BTW: If your honestly serious about getting a CF hood, give Duane a call and I'm sure he can work something out with you! He will explain the difference between his products and the "other guy's" and he's up 24 hours a day pretty much so he's always available and lookin for someone to talk too!

Thanks

Jason
Not to sound like a fussy nelly, but Duane's hood is $660, and there is a $100 shipping fee to the US. (Edit: Not sure if this is right, and if it is right, it's a good price because the cheap CF place wants $160 residential $120 industrial for shipping.) I've also heard of his hood coming apart (just ask Orin Bivens). He needs a pinch of reality for his prices. We're not all rich boys like the MkIV owners, many of us live paycheck to paycheck.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I was considering Duanes hood, I know I want some of his other products (like the headlight covers) but this hood caught my eye because it's double sided and I can get it shipped for less then he wants for just the hood.

And now I'm worried about his hood coming apart. If I'm going to spend 800+ on a hood, I want it to last a long time.

·
2,279 Posts
Thermactor said:
Not to sound like a fussy nelly, but Duane's hood is $660, and there is a $100 shipping fee to the US. (Edit: Not sure if this is right, and if it is right, it's a good price because the cheap CF place wants $160 residential $120 industrial for shipping.) I've also heard of his hood coming apart (just ask Orin Bivens). He needs a pinch of reality for his prices. We're not all rich boys like the MkIV owners, many of us live paycheck to paycheck.
:agreed:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
after lifting my hood off the car, i dont see the big deal over dropping lbs in that area...mk3 hood isn't really heavy at all, at least not heavy to where it justifies spending hundreds on cf.

·
...heading for 500+ RWHP
467 Posts
The look of CF hoods is growing on me. Now I am seriously thinking about getting one. I to want to make SURE that the hood is high-quality. ex. NO sharp 90 degree angle on the edges so you can cut yourself. But instead one where they round off the edges so they are not sharp. I would love to get a CF hood with TRD style vents in it but I would turn to two center vents so the long sides would be back to back! That would look SWEET!!!:cool:

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
MkIIISupraMan said:
after lifting my hood off the car, i dont see the big deal over dropping lbs in that area...mk3 hood isn't really heavy at all, at least not heavy to where it justifies spending hundreds on cf.
hmm. I remember someone said that we save like 35lbs switching to a CF hood. thats a nice amount IMO, and it's in the front, where we want to loose the more weight.

As for the C-wing CF hood, they probably have done another mold which don't have the dip, I don't see why they haven't done so. Somebody gotta find out, or if someone is near this company, go pay them a little visit to see it in person. that would be great.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
dang 35 lbs saving? i honestly didn't know that...haha it felt like the stock hood weighed no more than 30 lbs picking it up but i guess i was wrong.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts