Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put a set of cams, and wanted to hear what people thought on Crower's version of the HKS 264 cams. never mind the fact that they are probably knock offs, I'm looking to hear if the build quality and performance of the Crower built cams are good. Has anyone had any problems with them?

Thanks in advance............

·
Super Moderator
10,745 Posts
Nils,

I would go with HKS because, in tests, the HKS cams reduce spool more effectively than the Crowers and make as much or more power than the roughly equivalent Crowers. Plus, you know there is no question about HKS quality, although I'm not saying the Crowers are not quality cams. Nothing wrong with the Crowers from what I know, but I think there is a reason that HKS is the logical choice when off-the-shelf cams are being considered for the 2JZ-GTE. The HKS' might cost a bit more, but are definitely worth it in the end.

Ken.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My only real question is that I'm friends with Danny Crower and can get a set of Crowers for hundreds less than a set of HKS. I'm trying to figure out if the HKS cams are "hundreds" better than the Crowers. HKS may be better all things being equal, but are they "hundreds" better - subjective question, as everything on the car is HKS, and I'd like to keep my "HKS-ness" in tact. Decisions, decisions.......

·
Registered
273 Posts
What kind of work has been done to the head. Are you using oversize valves and do you have port work done.

For most applications where little to no head work is done I would suggest getting the HKS cams. HKS desinged their cams to work with the stock head. IMO the only time I would suggest using anything else is when the head has been worked extensively and you are looking for specific performance.

Quality wise I havent had problems with crower cams. Hks cams speak for themselves.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would be concerned with the durability of the crower cam and if the metalergy is stable enough to last the distance in a 2jz head. Not saying that it will or it won't last but I have see crower cams end up gouged in a 4g63 dsm head but I'm not sure if it could have been a lubrication issue. I don't know if they cut the cams from blanks or what exactly they do to ensure wear stability, clearly they don't have the output that a company like HKS does to mass produce a part since they sell cams for all the 2jz's in the world whereas I'm sure crower probably makes small batches at a time. Whatever you do tho cams don't work right until they are degreed to the spec list that comes with the cams. So make sure the person installing them has a degree kit (and knows how to use it) and that you get a set of cam gears with them to make the needed adjustments.

To give you an idea of how effective a set of properly degreed HKS 272 cams work in a completely stock engine stock head supra I can tell you about my friends car. Degreed 272's with a RPS kit and 61mm turbo 68 a/r p-trim turbine, stock ECU vpc/afc with fuel stock redline. I did the tunning on the car and at just 12psi the car was making 490rwhp. At 16psi the car was making mid 500's. At just 22-23psi the car broke 600rwhp. This is on a very small turbo that made 300ft/lbs by 3750. We turned up the boost more but the head was flowing so much that the turbo was running out of breath and boost was dropping off after about 24psi because its CFM p/r limit was reached. Car only made marginally more power after 22psi. But yea boost is a measure of how much air doesn't go into the motor. Never seen better numbers out of a stock head car with such a small turbo.

·
Banned
663 Posts
I was under the impression HKS centerline was set such that they could be installed 'straight up' on a motor that didn't have the head/block cut (I.E. no need for degreeing).

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
BaSupra put down the stock shortblock record w/ a set of "small" crowers. Ken, where are you getting your information from? I never heard that about crowers. I do know there are some custom grinds out there that are putting down a lot more HP than HKS, so HKS are by no means the end all be all of Supra cams.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
hks or jun are your best bet in cams!

me i like hks ones ,but i belive sp loves them jun's

kens reply on the crower cams was talked about a few months ago check out the shops parts area ..ill see if i can dig up the thread!

·
10,459 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Are there any JUN distributors in the US? I know Larry used to have JUN's in his car about 3 years ago, but haven't heard him talk about them since. I know they have more lift than HKS. Ranger, if you could dig up the crower post that would be great-Nick

·
10,459 Posts
Ex5.0 said:
Are there any JUN distributors in the US? I know Larry used to have JUN's in his car about 3 years ago, but haven't heard him talk about them since. I know they have more lift than HKS. Ranger, if you could dig up the crower post that would be great-Nick
looking

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have put 50k miles on my crowers and I love them, no problems here. And I am very happy with the powerband. I think its funny, people are worried about quality but the people that are running HKS and JUN cams are using crower Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers. So if they use crower springs and have good luck them why not there cams too, they are $$$ cheaper. Your paying for the name and import fees with HKS and JUN.
Makes you go humm.

Dont get me started on HKS Cam Gears Quality @#%^[email protected] :die: Not worth the $$$

I have been running Crower 272 Cams and Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
10,745 Posts
Ex5.0 said:
Ken, where are you getting your information from? I never heard that about crowers. I do know there are some custom grinds out there that are putting down a lot more HP than HKS, so HKS are by no means the end all be all of Supra cams.
From my own testing and testing also done by WOTM.

Ken.

·
10,459 Posts
blackbird said:
I have put 50k miles on my crowers and I love them, no problems here. And I am very happy with the powerband. I think its funny, people are worried about quality but the people that are running HKS and JUN cams are using crower Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers. So if they use crower springs and have good luck them why not there cams too, they are $$$ cheaper. Your paying for the name and import fees with HKS and JUN.
Makes you go humm.

Dont get me started on HKS Cam Gears Quality @#%^[email protected] :die: Not worth the $$$

I have been running Crower 272 Cams and Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers :bigthumb:

Well not everyone runs crower Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers with there HKS and jun cams .

i know i dont ,i have Ferrea in mine .

as for quality on crower i cant say a word about it from my own personal feed back ,what i have seen here on the forums is some people hate it but on the other end some people love it .

and im still looking for that thread i hope it was not delted.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
KenHenderson said:
From my own testing and testing also done by WOTM.

Ken.

Which Crowers? They just came out w/ a grind that is very similar to the 272's, but with a little more lift and duration. They're not split pattern like the others. I'm so curious because I just put a set of these in my car, it's not back together yet, I'm curious what to expect.

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,113 Posts
Ex5.0 said:
According to the TO4R !000RWHP Club Larry/SP are running custom Crane cams. Apparently they are another option as suppliers.

http://www.to4r.com/1k.php

You start looking into the big boys setups a there is only one player using and Crowers.

David

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,715 Posts
Look at all you HKS nut swingers. Ya Crower sucks!!! What, they have only been making cams for a couple decades now or longer then I have been alive? You won't lose sleep either way. But with one way, you will have a little more jingle in your pocket.

·
Super Moderator
10,745 Posts
Ex5.0 said:
Which Crowers? They just came out w/ a grind that is very similar to the 272's, but with a little more lift and duration. They're not split pattern like the others. I'm so curious because I just put a set of these in my car, it's not back together yet, I'm curious what to expect.
Ex,

They were the 268/276 versions. I had HKS 264s and, many years ago when I was comtemplating bigger cams, I was afraid I wasn't going to like what others were calling a softer bottom-end and increased lag. In back to back testing, in my application (your results might differ), we found the HKS 272s to reduce spool compared to the Crowers. I believe Ryan Woon has tested a bunch of Crowers over the years, so he might be able to provide some useful input as well.

Hands On, no one is bagging on Crowers. They're excellent products at good prices that will make the power. But since guys are usually concerned about spool, I thought I'd share my experiences and I included the caveat that the HKS' would be more expensive so velocity111 can attempt to make the most informed decision possible. It's difficult to make a bad decision here. It just all depends on a guy's set-up, intended use and budget (and hook-ups if you're velocity111).

Ken.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts