Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all...

I bought my car with the HPF mod already done to it.. Honestly I really dont like the way it drives. I find myself using the first turbo way too much and I hate the boost drop at 3000rpms.. My question is.. I have a Blitz SBC-ID, should I dump the HPF mod and install that, or should I keep the HPF mod... HPF says I may loose power by going with the EBC but could I make up for the low end loss by increasing the boost on the high end? Also keep in mind that I drive the car from Sacramento to Portland almost twice a month so reliability is important to me.. from what I have read the HPF mod seems to be hard on the first turbo. What would you do in my situation?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Besides the issue of reduced turbo life, AFAIK there is not way to increase boost on the high end more than what you get with the HPF mod. That rams your turbos into the highest boost they are capable of. It locks the wastegate closed and otherwise brings the turbos on as quickly as possible.

I've run the HPF mod and I also have the SBC-iD; I set one channel on the Blitz for normal driving boost, one for high octane, one for 100% gain 100% set and that last setup feels almost just like the HPF mod. I'm a big fan of the SBC-iD.

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
HPF boost Mod killed my turbos. use the Blitz and limit it to 18 psi. run Seq. if you want torque, TTC sucks terribly.

-Brett

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sorry I am a newb but, is the HPF mod where the turbos spool simutainesly?

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
RichGT said:
Sorry I am a newb but, is the HPF mod where the turbos spool simutainesly?
\
no that is TTC, it runs the turbos in a twin mode so they both spool up at once, and its laggy as shit. if you want to save your twins go right ahead, but its worse than a single turbo lag. have fun and go sequential!

-Brett

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
Man, HPF boost mod plus Cali 91 octane is not at all healthy for your engine. Lots of timing retard, sky high EGT's, you are frying your exhaust valve stem seals.

A long freeway pull in 5th/6th gear could be a motor killer.

Now, if yours is a weekend car running nothing but 100 octane have at it, all you'll do is shorten the life of the stock twins.

If you install the EBC keep your boost to 14-15 psi max on pump premium.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Another newb ass question but can you tell the the abbreviations on the terms you just said. Like TTC, BPU(What is this, why is this good, god damn I am embarassed), and HPF. If someone has the courtesy and time, can you explain all three? I would appreciate it very much.

The car I just bought has the turbos spooling simutainously but luckily it only has been doing that for about 5000 miles. I am wondering how to take it off? I dont want to kil the life of the turbo. Its a 94 TT 6 speed with 95000 miles.

Thanks in advanced!

EDIT: i did search but couldn't find abbreviations and explainations. I dont want to piss people off and put the cool "search" icon. lOl.

·
Banned
942 Posts
The HPF mod is what I ran on my BPU Supra when I ran an 11.42 @123mph which at the time was the BPU record. It eliminates the Bypass valve causing the #1 turbo to build more boost and not bleed it off to pre-spool the #2 turbo.

I stopped publishing how to do it as not everybody can afford to upgrade to a single turbo if their stock twins go out. It will shorten the life of your stock twins because they spin at a much higher rpm. If you're going to do this mod, it's best to use good fuel, 100+ octane. Also, make sure you have the funds to upgrade to a single if your stock twins go out.

Take care,
Chris.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks a lot man. I appreciate it very much. Supraforums.com was the only forum I found. Thanks guys for your input!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts