Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I need to replace my brake rotor and pad on the supra and was wondering what do you guys recommend I get. Right now I have brembo rotor and don't know what kind of brake pads. The brembo rotor are drilled (having circles in them).

Should I replace all parts with stock? roughly around 500 bucks for disc, pad, shim, and fitting.

Or should I replace them with brembo parts? rotor alone cost 560 and another 130 or 65 for pads depending on what I would get (hawks or satisfied pro oem)

or what other option do I have. The supra is mainly used on the street. Thanks for any input.

·
Digital DNA
353 Posts
Since you are mainly on the street, save yourself some dough and go stock. The stock setup is just as strong at braking strength as the Brembo Cross Drilled, plus the stock rotors will last longer and are much less prone to cracking. The only advantage you would have with the Brembos, is in track race/auto cross conditions. The continuous braking will heat up your rotors and pads, thus leading to brake fade. The cross drilled rotors will do a better job of dissipating the gases and heat, prolonging your time from experiencing brake fade. Even cross drilled/slotted rotors can get hot enough to cause brake fade though.

So, unless you all of a sudden have plans to go track racing often, just stick with the tried, proven, and trusted stock Supra brake setup.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
yo man i have the stock calipers front and rear with stock discs with hawk hps pads front and rear and i love the setup..real nice pedal feel and my car is mainy street driven...i dont drive it daily but since i put the new pads i put 1000 miles on them and they are great...i do some high speed highway pulls too and ive heated them up pretty good numerous times and they still do not fade very much....the dust is lighter color also...

ant

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
JZA80TT2002 said:
Since you are mainly on the street, save yourself some dough and go stock. The stock setup is just as strong at braking strength as the Brembo Cross Drilled, plus the stock rotors will last longer and are much less prone to cracking. The only advantage you would have with the Brembos, is in track race/auto cross conditions. The continuous braking will heat up your rotors and pads, thus leading to brake fade. The cross drilled rotors will do a better job of dissipating the gases and heat, prolonging your time from experiencing brake fade. Even cross drilled/slotted rotors can get hot enough to cause brake fade though.

So, unless you all of a sudden have plans to go track racing often, just stick with the tried, proven, and trusted stock Supra brake setup.
Well said.

·
Digital DNA
353 Posts
racinghart said:
Well said.
Thanks for the props Patrick. :) By the way, your QS is beautiful.

·
4 T's and an X
2,100 Posts
I say stock also. I have new stocks front and rear rotors. Oem pads in the rear and Project Mu B force in the front. Steel braided lines and Motul 600 fluid. I like it

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
JZA80TT2002 said:

Not flamin', but cross-drilling does not dissipate heat/gas - it is cosmetic. With old technology pads cross-drilling and slotting served a functional purpose, but the brake pads of today don't have that same effect. Nothing beats a plain (smooth) vented disc.

IcedSuPrA said:
yo man i have the stock calipers front and rear with stock discs with hawk hps pads front and rear and i love the setup..real nice pedal feel and my car is mainy street driven...i dont drive it daily but since i put the new pads i put 1000 miles on them and they are great...i do some high speed highway pulls too and ive heated them up pretty good numerous times and they still do not fade very much....the dust is lighter color also...

ant
Same setup I have except I have the HPS at all four corners. I also road race and autoX -- and the car sees plenty of street time. This setup is great and I can't see myself changing anytime soon unless it's for a 14" kit.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am also using everything stock with the exception of Hawk HPS pads. The Hawk pads are very good pads from my experience. Definitely a better scenario concerning brake dust!

From my experience, stay away from EBC Greens!!! Absolute junk in my opinion. I had them on my Viper and Supra and those pads have very poor stopping qualities. In addition, they hot spotted the rotors with just medium braking on both cars.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
I changed them set not to long ago and just went with stock replacements after reading what members said. You can probably search on the topic to get more ideas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts