Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Opinions on a FireBlade (1996 CBR 900rr)***PIC***

*****PIC BELOW************

I was offered a 1996 900rr for cheap, like $3,000...I don't want another carbbed bike, I've already got a 1998 GSX-R 750.

I've never ridden one, how are they?
-power?
-handling?
-Reliable?
-Cost of ownership?
-Comfort?...I'm 6'3"

Any info is helpful...I've never been on one, but don't wanna pass this one up.

I mainly like to rail...is this gonna be a tank?

Thanks
-Steve

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,128 Posts
I used to have a '93 900RR, so heres my take on it

Power is good, not explosive, but nice and linear. Probably won't feel like your GSXR 750, as its short I believe 20 horses or so on it. But it did have welcome torque at low RPMS.

Handling was good, very nervous upon pitch in though. I can't remember if the '96 900RR still had the 16" front wheel. If so, you have a little less selection for tires.

The only problem I had on mine was the voltage regulator burning out. Easy fix and replace, about $90. Other than that it was very reliable.

As far as comfort, I'm 5'11" 260, and the bike fit me well. CBR's of the mid to late nineties didn't have too aggressive footpeg positions.

I never thought of it as a tank. The 900RR was one of the first liter class bikes to be around the 600cc weight (in its time).

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
I put about ~14,000 miles on the one I owned, so:

Power: Decent. It'll get its ass handed to it by any current 1000, but it'll hold its own with most new 750's, and nuke most old ones.

Handling: Shit, compared to my Duc anyway. Probably better than I remember it being if you were to stick some Pilot Powers and light wheels on it, but still mostly dreck.

Reliable: It's a Honda.

Cost: ~$500/yr in service items, not including tires.

Comfort: Fine for height (I'm 6'5), on par with most other sport bikes in terms of wrist/back fatigue. Ride it properly (elbows/knees tucked) and it's fairly comfy.

Weight: Beefy, though manageable.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here it is...

Not sure about the CAMO...I think it gonna have to go.
Although my buddy says I could cut the lights and hide in a bush from the fuzz!! :wtflol:

took it for a spin...all seems good.

Took my hands off at 35, straight and steady.

Everything else looks good, needs brakes though...

BTW...he says: "go ahead...get on it", I stab it in 2nd---BOOM, right up...I mean straight up! :sadance:

I'm gonna show up w/ 3,000 this weekend and go in for the kill...I think.

If so...more pics to come...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yea..the CBR900 is basically the bike that paved the way for the sportbikes we have now ( ie. a small, tight wonderfully handling package.) In 1992, this bike was in a class by itself....

·
always watching
362 Posts
I would take off the fairing and go streetfighter mode. paint/powdercoat it all black. my .02. but no really they are still fun bikes to ride, like the others said, it probably can't hold a candle to most of the modern liter bikes but then again I don't think any bike before say 2002 can. get it enjoy it and turn you gixxer into a track monster.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
aNskY said:
they are wheelie machines :)
They do love to wheelie. :bigthumb: Also I would ditch that 16' front wheel. Find a CBR F3 or VFR 17" front wheel and you'll have better tire selection and handling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts