Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jusrt curious what the AVCR owners think about it. Does it really take a rocket scientist to figure this thing out and its functions. How well does it work for you, holding boost correctly and such.
M friend has one that he will let me throw in, but I dont wanna deal with a headache.

opinions,

·
JE, AEM, OS Giken'd 7M
320 Posts
My Input on the AVC-R:

It pairs nicely with the S-AFC II, it has great features, but overall usability? Lacking.

I have one major gripe with the AVC-R, and that's this. I want a boost controller where I say "Gimme, 15.5PSI." and it goes "Ok." I don't want to set a boost level, then guess a duty solenoid percentage, make a pull, try again, make a pull, and so on and so forth. This is exactly what the AVC-R Does.

In order to make the AVC-R hold (say) 15psi. You do this:
1) Set the Boost Level to 1.05 kg/cm^2
2) Set duty cycle to 50%
3) Make a pull, if the boost overshoots the value you want, turn the duty cycle down, if if undershoots, turn it up.
4) Repeat untill you get it how you want it.

Really, while I love the AVC-R's features and advancements, that's not what I think a boost controller should be. I should be able to say "gimme 15psi" and go. It shouldn't take me 2 hours of tuning to set one boost level. On top of that, this makes changing boost levels on the fly a pain in the ass. Sure, the AVC-R has multiple boost settings, but it means you must tune them too. No changing boost on the fly, etc. This also means that adding that extra two psi in first or second, you have to tune that too. Boost level is almost never used, Duty Cycle is very definately the important value.

IMO, the best options out there would be a combination of the Blitz SBC-ID's simplicity (VERY Simple, Select the boost you want, and GO), with the AVC-R's features (Gear Judge, Gear based boost levels, etc.).

Conclusion:
Its features rule, but "Duty Cycle" sucks horse crap.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I absolutely love my AVCR.
It was easy to hookup and not much needed to make it work either.

I had the guy who tuned my SAFCII tune the AVCR for free on the dyno as well and its absolutely awesome now holding boost without any issues.

If youwant fine tuning, then it takes a bit longer - as a matter of fact it took longer for him to tune the AVCR than the fuel lol, but definitely well worth it.
And he saved me two different files / boost levels and two maps on SAFC to use it with...they go well..together.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,276 Posts
AVC-R my fav boost control IMO.

I love all the features,

Espeically gear judge to allow for boost to come on hard in the lower gears.

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
pros:

boost by gear
speedo readout
advanced features

cons:

difficult to quickly change boost on the fly
lack of knobs or buttons, has you searching through menus
duty cycle can be hard to understand
expensive for what it does

At one point in time, I had a SAFC and AVCR covering my stock tach/speedo. I had the SAFC show RPM in full size and the AVCR show speed in full size. It was a fun setup. Tuning duty cycle on the AVCR and the EVC4 is just a pain in the ass unless you have lots of spare time. You will find many high power guys give up the gizmos and go with more simplistic controllers that are basically just dial a boost.

My favorite setup was the Blitz ID w/ power meter. On the blitz you simply dialed the PSI that you wanted (it did PSI), and it would adjust itself to that PSI. However, the footprint was too small on those and difficult to read during the day.

·
Registered
347 Posts
88TargaRose said:
My Input on the AVC-R:

It pairs nicely with the S-AFC II, it has great features, but overall usability? Lacking.

I have one major gripe with the AVC-R, and that's this. I want a boost controller where I say "Gimme, 15.5PSI." and it goes "Ok." I don't want to set a boost level, then guess a duty solenoid percentage, make a pull, try again, make a pull, and so on and so forth. This is exactly what the AVC-R Does.

In order to make the AVC-R hold (say) 15psi. You do this:
1) Set the Boost Level to 1.05 kg/cm^2
2) Set duty cycle to 50%
3) Make a pull, if the boost overshoots the value you want, turn the duty cycle down, if if undershoots, turn it up.
4) Repeat untill you get it how you want it.

Really, while I love the AVC-R's features and advancements, that's not what I think a boost controller should be. I should be able to say "gimme 15psi" and go. It shouldn't take me 2 hours of tuning to set one boost level. On top of that, this makes changing boost levels on the fly a pain in the ass. Sure, the AVC-R has multiple boost settings, but it means you must tune them too. No changing boost on the fly, etc. This also means that adding that extra two psi in first or second, you have to tune that too. Boost level is almost never used, Duty Cycle is very definately the important value.

IMO, the best options out there would be a combination of the Blitz SBC-ID's simplicity (VERY Simple, Select the boost you want, and GO), with the AVC-R's features (Gear Judge, Gear based boost levels, etc.).

Conclusion:
Its features rule, but "Duty Cycle" sucks horse crap.

I totally agree, and once you get it dialed in to where you want it its a fantastic boost control...

You can really tell the thing was built by some electronics engineers that have more knowledge than real world experience, looks great on paper, functions exactly the way it should, but its just a pain in the ass to configure.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I have had my AVCR for over 3 years and find most of the functions useless. I like the monitor settings where it will hold a peak value reading but many of the other settings are dumn IMO. I would probably be just as happy with a much cheaper EVC.

One thing I can say is that the AVCR is very resposnsive in timing the boost setting so you will never have much boost spike and it will have a much a much quicker boost response than a MBC.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
for those that are using these are there any tips on making setup easier??

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
cnewingham said:
for those that are using these are there any tips on making setup easier??
I would say learn first how to adjust the boost , once you get that down, then play with other features.

This unit does not adjust boost like other controllers, on this one, u set a desired boost and use the duty cycle to slowly work up to that boost so that u don't overboost.
Start with a low duty cycle and work in increments.

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wish I could find more. OK, 25psi , set it and forget it.
But my friend has an AVCR, so I figured I might mess with it. I got my Turbo XS dual stage hitting 1.5-2.0 bar, but its touchy as hell it seems. I thought I would have needed more adjustment to go that high. lol. guess not.

·
Registered
363 Posts
or you can use the self learn mode and let it decide what the duty cycles it should use are for whatever RPM. It controls boost perfectly after a couple runs through the gears... was I the only one that got a manual with it? am i not understanding something?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I love my Profec A. I set the boost and it will immediately jump to that boost and stay there in ANY gear. Also has the overtake function that lets you overshoot your set boost by a preset percentage for a preset time. One of my first mods 9 years ago.

·
Registered
347 Posts
86.5NA. said:
or you can use the self learn mode and let it decide what the duty cycles it should use are for whatever RPM. It controls boost perfectly after a couple runs through the gears... was I the only one that got a manual with it? am i not understanding something?

That manual is not what I would really consider helpfull for anything other than learning basic functions. I had to go onto a few other forums including the supra ones to finally find a good guide for using the AVCR.

This is the one I found usefull....http://www.turbosaturns.net/articles/AVC-R.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts