Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you paint your MKIV brakes if you had ANY color you desired?

I'm about to paint mine again because I'm sick of looking at the factory look (black with silver letters, red line). I'd like to do something different without looking rice

As you can see in my link below, my car is black with silver BBS wheels, so the color will need to work well with this look.
I'm sick of red calipers and thats way too easy and typical as it is.....since I used topaint cars, I can get any code I want, so I would like to use my imagination - again, without looking ricey

Thanks for any thoughts and opinions ;)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
IMHO, black, red, silver and maybe white are the only colors you can paint calipers without looking ricey. I have a black car with red calipers and I think it looks great. That just me though...

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VINZE - they're black now, and if I go solid black (no stencils) I won't be really changing much. And I love the idea of keeping "supra" on them since I love the MKIV so damn much :D

Greg - Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as insulting towards the red.....I've painted several sets of red MKIV brakes (different shades of red too), and there is a color of red that I have right now that is pretty. It's just that maybe I'm done with red since I've drooled over Porsches since 4th grade and they've used red on their brakes for a long time now (as far as I know). I'm still considering a red, but what's really nagging me is that I can get ANY color I choose :D I'd like to have a color that nobody else will ever find in a spray can - but while blending nicely with the car's style/color etc.

Porsche has recently started using yellow, but that might stand out too much....and yellow on brakes is pushing rice I think (unless you have a yellow car of course).

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
blkturbo! said:
Greg - Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as insulting towards the red.....
No worries, I wasn't insulted. I know that red is really overdone, but it happens to be my favorite caliper color, especially on a black car. I think part of the reason I like them is that, like you say, Porche's and Ferrari's have red calipers :)

Everyone has they preference though. I think the color of your car greatly depends on what color you choose. I've seen silver caliper's on a black car and that looks nice too. I think that other than the four colors I mentioned, it''s hard to paint them any other color without being ricey, mainly because I see so many civics or other rice-cars with yellow/blue/green/purple painted calipers or brake drums.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah.....I do have another color in mind though: I can make a really pretty charcoal metallic color.....but again, I'm thinking that might not be worth the change from black (both pretty close in color/shade). I'm thinking this charcoal (like an IS 300 charcoal color) with either white or silver "supra" and red line.

The yellow still calls out to me (when I see the Porsche dealer's lot) :) But I may not be brave enough to actually go yellow.

How about the new 350Z violet color??? <----- stupid, ricey, am I thinking too hard now? :D

Anyone?................................

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
Sean, go with red. You wont regret it, they look awesome. Just a nice shade of red on those calipers and the stencil and they will stand out and look like those expensive Brembo brakes.

Good luck, Mike :)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sean, honestly, I don't think yellow(a CYM from an FD type yellow) would look that bad. I think it would look pretty nice. However, red with white or black lettering will always look good, no matter what. I don't think the 350Z Brickyard red you're talking about would look too good though. :(

On a side note, I'll be hitting you up to get my calipers painted sometime before TX2k4. I tried doing it myself, and, simply put, they look like shit. :)

·
The Stars At Night
1,460 Posts
do u want to stay w/ the factory colors? i think red is all to common, i really like the rsp, or electron blue on hondas....i love those blues....or a little darker blue is the one on the new 7th gen accords...i saw it on a v6 6spd today...its a nice blue

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
I like red with "Supra" stenciled in black, but since you ruled that out....

My first choice would be the Saleen color (BASF) Beryllium. It's very similar to the metallic copper of the 350Z, but looks deeper and richer IMO.

Second choice on a black car would be chrome yellow (Ford) or the Lambo yellow on the Supra in the current Super Street magazine.

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,268 Posts
IMO, I would have them polished and have the Supra logo in black. It would look sweet. Not to mention that the color, like black, wouldn't take away from the rims.

--Justin

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave C said:
Yeah, this was where I originally planned on going with the color.....I was gonna make it a washed-out looking, yellowish gold (not GOLD gold). I started making it and then decided to darken it a lot, but then I didn't like what I wound up with. So I may start over with a different code - then stay really light with it.

I thought about blue already, but not sure if that's a good idea or not. I have a couple of really nice blues in the garage (one is the BMW royal blue pearl or something). Just not sure if blue works on a solid black car (undecided).

I have plenty of Ford's chrome yellow also. I don't care for that shade <-- too much school bus look. I have a very light and bright yellow.....that would stick out from a mile away....feel about the same here as with the blues.

I'll have to look up the Saleen beryllium color - dont know it.

I might use red if I end up shooting down everything else. I'm going to a friend's shop tomorrow or Tues to kick some more ideas around. I just wanted to get a larger base of opinions than with myself :D

Midnight hour - I heard you wanted them done (from Dave)......just email me when you're ready and let me know what color you want ;)

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,268 Posts
What about my idea?

--Justin

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
:TTIWWP:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Supra SONIC said:
What about my idea?

--Justin

lol........well, I don't care much for the idea of polishing. I've polished metals in the past with my mustangs. I don't like the drama of maintaining the shine, especially if it's for something buried behind a wheel that I don't feel like taking off, lol
Besides, I think a caliper wants to be painted before it wants to be polished :D

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
DragRacingSupra said:

:D What do you want pics of exactly?

So again, what do yall think of the purpleish color that 350Z has? Too crazy an idea???? Dumb idea????
I'm toying with this purple (dont know the paint's name) with silver lettering and red line.

By the way....keep in mind that I can take any given code and make it lighter or darker to fine tune any ideas. (I just cant freakin decide :( )

sean

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
x X CLoud X x said:
purple of course:rolleyes: :D

No......really!!!! :D Do you know the color I'm talking about? It's a really nice violet color. In fact, when I went to a shop I used to work at, there was a violet 350Z there. It's a dark and pretty shade, and it would look great with silver lettering. Shit, violet metallic brakes won't CLASH on a black car with silver wheels....I just gotta decide if it will look great on a black supra (not looking rice), heh :)

As far as pics, my friend STILL hasn't f*ckin finished my personal web page which will include a link to paint work (including a few sets of brakes I've done). I've posted them a couple of times in this section not long ago, and plus, once you see one set of painted brakes on an MKIV, you've seen them all :D But the 350Z violet <----- THAT will be worth posting on an MKIV.
I'm really starting to like the idea of this color......but I'll still check into the light, yellowish gold that I have in mind.

sean

1 - 20 of 64 Posts