Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently spun a bearing on my stock block 700whp 2JZ 240sx. I have 2 spare blocks but im hesitant to put stock rods an pistons back in the motor. After doing some research i see a lot of guys running the Carrillo Rods or Pauter Rods. Ill be quite honest, they are VERY expensive. Money is not a problem, but im from a honda backround, and honda motors can make 700-800whp with eagle rods no problem.

What is wrong with them with the 2JZ motors? anyone have any personal experience? Are they just as good as stock? waste of money? have problems?

Im not looking to cheap out by any means, but i was just wonder why more people arent running them when you consider they are $700-800 cheaper than the other rods available.

Any insight is greatly appreciated

-2JZ rod noob

·
Registered
41 Posts
not that i am any expert, but from what i have read the reason most dont use them is apparently they arent really any stronger than stock, or minimally so. so by the time you tear down a motor, replace them with the eagles, the loss in factory reliability is not worth the gain in little stronger rods. but they are lighter for what that is worth. then again, i think most guys replace rods for an upgrade, not out of something being broken, so they may not be a bad choice if the engine needs new rods regardless of stock or aftermarket.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also wanted to say im NOT looking for 1000whp. This is a S13 240sx chassis, 700whp is all i need really.

I was mainly looking to build the motor for longevity.

·
Inline for the win
4,751 Posts
They will work just fine. Multiple people have made around 700 RWHP or higher with the Eagle. Just make sure they are the big bolts instead the smaller 5/16" I believe which is standard.

DP

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
There have been numerous debates on the strength of the eagle rods. People buy into the hype that they are crap because they arent made in the US. But no one has ever brought any proof to the table, in a 2J motor.
I have the eagle/wiseco combo that im having machine work done for right now.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
They will work just fine. Multiple people have made around 700 RWHP or higher with the Eagle. Just make sure they are the big bolts instead the smaller 5/16" I believe which is standard.

DP
Are you talking about the L19's ?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Rods

I run J&E pistons with Eagle rods 762 rwhp, people who think these rods are crap do not know what they are talking about.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
I run J&E pistons with Eagle rods 762 rwhp, people who think these rods are crap do not know what they are talking about.
Do you have any piston slap with the JE's ?

·
Registered
722 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I've seen a 2jz that was detonated to all hell that had eagle rods in it and the rods are still straight. The wiseco pistons that were in it weren't so lucky though :(

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Food for thought:

I know one of the Skyline chaps ordered TOMEI Rods and got what looked like Eagle Rods.

From what I know Tomei, is not that cheapo.

Both are made by CAT (CAL Auto Transpeed) . Eagle supposedly just reboxes them I guess, don't quote me on that.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So from what im gathering, ill be ok at my 700-800whp level with the eagles. ill be sure to get the upgraded rod bolts.

thanks guys!

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Those are headstuds
L19 is just an alloy, like Alex D said ^

eagles now come with larger bolts. I got mine and they were perfectly balanced. Lots making 900rwhp on these rods, some makeing over 1K. The bolts used are the same bolts in the crower and pauter rods.
Do you know when they started coming with the larger bolts ? I got some mid last year. They are sitting in my garage but im just curious.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts