Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
What do u mean?Its Stock!
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying new tires and was wondering what people thought about the Kumhos Ecsta 712 Tires..i am going with 275 in the rear and 235 in the front..what do you guys think

275/40/17 $129 mounted and balanced
235/45/17 $115 mounted and balanced

thanks
Steve

·
AEM SP63
1,459 Posts
Hey Steve, are those Kumho Ecsta's 712 the tires you have on the rear wheels? Aren't those the ones that help protect your rim from curb rash? Let me know, cause that is pretty cheap. I need new rear tires also. Next week I'm sending my rims to carsmetics to totally redo my rims.

·
Registered
679 Posts
never heard of them.....judging from the price they're probably not a good choice......one of the most important thing on a car
is the tires....your life rides on it.......put some more money and get some z rated performance tires that can take what ever beating your car can dish out.....

M

·
0 Posts
They are good all-around Z-rated tires. For the price, you can't beat them. Decent thread design, with center water channel. Same range as Sumitomo HTRZ IIs.

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
Steve -

Like Monster said, the Kumho 712 is generally accepted as a decent tire, and it's also a very good value. It's a good daily drive tire.

If you plan to do road course racing, you wouldn't buy this tire. Instead you'd get Yokohama AVS or BF Goodrich and you'd pay around $300 for the rears and $225 for the fronts.

I bought a set of 712's last April. They wore well under (agressive) daily driving, and I recently sold them on the wheels with plenty of tread left. With my new single turbo and larger wheels, I decided to go with Yokohamas this time around, and hated to pay the higher price because I was used to Kumho.

If you want a very sticky tire, Kumho also offers one at a great price. It's called the Victo Racer something... but I doesn't have the Supra logo on the sidewall like the 712 has.

John
www.utahracing.com/supras/john.html

·
Banned
336 Posts
I would rather drive around on BALD Dunlop SP8000's then drive on fresh kumho 712's. I've had 2 blow out on me with low miles on them, 3rd was on the way to being defective. I drive the car hard and it couldnt take any abuse at all.

The tires are also INSANELY loud when you spin the tires or do a burnout (attracting the wrong kind of attention), and not to mention they dont hook worth a damn. If John Meinhart had a manly 6-speed, he would have seen problems with them, but unfortunately, he doesnt, so he has a decent experience with them. I've got the Sumitomo HTZR-II's, Love them. They were 7 whole bux more per tire, and MUCH MUCH better quality and grip, handle great too.

My advice, RUN, dont walk from the Kumho 712's!

·
100% Stock
124 Posts
IMO , good for daily drivers. I am regretting buying them at this point. I am 100% bone stock....i am talking factory show room stock(6-speed), i lose traction when around 4500 in first and then 5000 in 2nd when boost hits. I have 275's out back as well. I previously had Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP's. I honestly think they are the best tire i've ever had by far(even better than the more expensive Pilot Sports and Pirelli's). These tires also have a great treadwear(340)...and somehow seems to work around the compound getting good mileage(usually not indicative of stick tires).

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
Hey Jack...I got the Sumo HTZII's and I seem to be getting alot of tread squirm out of them initially...I finally got 500 miles on them...they seem less inclined to squirm...but still feel that sensation a little bit... Did you ever have this problem? Also I went from a 255 to a 275...maybe that could be the difference I fell...esp since I went from bald AVS sports to these.

·
Old School Socal Member
365 Posts
I've ridden with Mani on the track when he used those tires, and they seemed to hold up okay. Mani is one of the best track drivers that I know and if they'll hold up to his driving, then they'll be pretty decent for daily use.

ian

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
Here's Mani's reply when I had asked him about tires.

"Kumhos, though not all that great, are very cheap. BFG KDs are great tires but expensive. Yokohama AVS sports are good tires that doesn't cost a lot of money. "

·
Very Senior Member
9,953 Posts
Jack B said:
I would rather drive around on BALD Dunlop SP8000's then drive on fresh kumho 712's. I've had 2 blow out on me with low miles on them, 3rd was on the way to being defective. I drive the car hard and it couldnt take any abuse at all.

The tires are also INSANELY loud when you spin the tires or do a burnout (attracting the wrong kind of attention), and not to mention they dont hook worth a damn. ............

My advice, RUN, dont walk from the Kumho 712's!
Well, it must be YOU, Jack.
A lot of us get excellent performance on the street. No blowouts, no noise, just good, inexpensive mileage. I wouldn't race them, though.

S

·
0 Posts
For a high performance tire, these are terrible. I will never buy them again.

Sean

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
i dont know how you race or drive your supras but i think Kuhmos are decent. not the BEST tires im sure but daily driving you dont need F1 race tires or anything.
they sound like an awesome deal for that price!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
They SUCK. I know an AWD DSM that has traction issues with those tires. Spins in 1st and 2nd in dry weather with 2 bar of boost, and 1st and 2nd when its wet with low boost.

IMHO, don't skimp on tires, unless you are just going to be comuting on them. But if your only commuting, why own a Supra? Cheap tires will litterally melt and wear much faster when pushed repeatedly. My POS Fulda Extremos lasted less than 8k miles, most of them is stuck inside my rear fender well...

·
3,148 Posts
I ran them on my 6speed BPU at 3 roadcourses without any problems. They are not as good as the top notch tires, but they are better than 90% of Supra drivers in the curves. You will probably be very happy with them.

Later, Steve

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
Mike -

Any time Steve Jarvis chimes in on wheel/tire issues, you can take his advice as gospel. I know I do - and it recently cost me over $4K! :D

If you're after a daily driven tire, get the Kumho or Sumitomo. I paid $560 last year for my Kumho 712's, 275X18 rear and 235X18 front. If you decide to drag race, get another set of factory wheels and mount drag radials on the rear for track runs.

·
What do u mean?Its Stock!
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replies..i will be getting them this weekend and let you guys know how they feel..

thanks again

Steve

·
3,148 Posts
John,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but it's only my opinion.

BTW Are you sure those new tires you got are going to fit? :eek:

HAHAHAHAHA

Later, Steve

·
Retired Admin
597 Posts
After having sold hundreds of sets of these, and owning a set on the rear myself, I can tell you these tires are dangerous.

They blow out all the time, most of the time all the way around the rim. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! DO NOT BUY KUMHO'S!!!

brittany

*edit

I also just bought a set of Sumitomo HTZR-II's for the rear, I will let you know how they work out. They look much nicer (less cheap) than the Kumho's. I have much nicer tires up front, but that is because I don't plan on needing to change them for another year.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts