Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
What do u mean?Its Stock!
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying new tires and was wondering what people thought about the Kumhos Ecsta 712 Tires..i am going with 275 in the rear and 235 in the front..what do you guys think

275/40/17 $129 each mounted and balanced
235/45/17 $115 each mounted and balanced

thanks
Steve

·
Twin-Turbos 2X the Proble
806 Posts
I've heard they are pretty good tires. I would check customer feedback on tirerack.com too see what they say about it.

Heck any set of tires for mk4'ish rims should be sweet.

----------------------------------------
88 Supra Turbo

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,150 Posts
I had 225 50's they held very well when new but few months after I had them.. they where pretty much dead.. the treadware is a lie... 3 months and I was pretty close to being bauld.. Also the rubber hardens as you get lower so it starts to slip a lot more.

good tires for the price but you'll need a new set really soon.

J

·
0 Posts
SAS90T said:
I am buying new tires and was wondering what people thought about the Kumhos Ecsta 712 Tires..i am going with 275 in the rear and 235 in the front..what do you guys think

I have them on the car now. Dry weather, not bad, not good..just middle of the road. Wet, same way. Get a heavy frost, and your all over the place. There is a reason there is a N/A seen in the winter section for the Kumhos. I think you get what you paid for out of these tires. I won't buy them again though. Just my thoughts...

Later,

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have them on my car and i like them...

Great in rain for me... never hydroplaned and great wet stopping..

I have put about 10k miles on mine and they still run good and with plenty of tread left.

H

·
0 Posts
I have them on one of my other cars in 225-40-18s, and I like them. They ride quiet and smooth, and they perform well in dry and wet conditions. I've heard people say that they aren't good snow/ice tires, but I live in GA, which pretty much makes that a moot point. The 3-4 days a year that we have snow and ice, I don't even drive, because of all of the accidents that bad drivers cause.

A bunch of guys I know have them as well. We all got them at Discount Tire when buying new rims. The only guy that I know had bad treadwear dogged his out by racing and burning rubber all of the time. So to me, his opinion of low treadwear was ludicrous. Any tire you dog is going to wear quickly. I get mine rotated every few months, and I haven't had any problems at all. :D

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,150 Posts
I put down about 260 RWHP on my mk3 and once they started getting low I started going sideways 1'st 2nd and just held on in 3rd. However, when they where newer they held all 260 HP but my boost wasn't as sudden before since I had a cat and crappy MBC. I'd buy them again but I know it would cost me again soon. I'm not TOO hard on my tires.. I drive avrange I never really ever squeel the tires.. I just give it while crusing ie 60 KPH full boost in 3rd just to hear the turbo :) hehe.

These ARE NOT SNOWTIRES.. DON'T EVEN THINK THEY ARE... I put them on my car last April and they where done front and back by July I drove on pretty well slicks till the end of the season. Even winter tires suck on supras.. I Span out on my 89NA last year with 4 wintertires and 2 sandbags in the hatch doing 50 KM...

Last thing about the Supras... there was a light LIGHT snowfall last april just after I put them on (tires brand new) and the car was slideing around all over the place. could barely make it up a slight incline.

Anyways I hope this helps..

Oh almost forgot... You will notice the side wall stands a bit higher then most 225's 50 16's and they look thiner as well.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I just put a set on before TX2K2, 275 R and 245 F. They feel better than my worn Pirelli SS 7000 units. Hope I can make them last a year at least. heh. They held up fine at the Blimp Base, brand new. I overdrove my brakes however, which was not hard. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have had my set for over a year now & the tread is holding up well. I think its a ok tire for the money. I run 275/40/17
on the back & the rear end gets loose in the rain & kicks out when I step on it even when dry. I didn't have that problem with the Nittos I had before these. I think if I would have went with the 255's I wouldn't have as much problems in the rain. Other tires to look at would be the Falken Ziex 502 or the Nittos. I liked the Nittos NT-450 (F) & NT-555 (R) that I had on last time the best.

·
Moderator, megalos ntabatzis!!
4,409 Posts
ZaZZn2002 said:
I put down about 260 RWHP on my mk3 and once they started getting low I started going sideways 1'st 2nd and just held on in 3rd. However, when they where newer they held all 260 HP but my boost wasn't as sudden before since I had a cat and crappy MBC. I'd buy them again but I know it would cost me again soon. I'm not TOO hard on my tires.. I drive avrange I never really ever squeel the tires.. I just give it while crusing ie 60 KPH full boost in 3rd just to hear the turbo :) hehe.

These ARE NOT SNOWTIRES.. DON'T EVEN THINK THEY ARE... I put them on my car last April and they where done front and back by July I drove on pretty well slicks till the end of the season. Even winter tires suck on supras.. I Span out on my 89NA last year with 4 wintertires and 2 sandbags in the hatch doing 50 KM...

Last thing about the Supras... there was a light LIGHT snowfall last april just after I put them on (tires brand new) and the car was slideing around all over the place. could barely make it up a slight incline.

Anyways I hope this helps..

Oh almost forgot... You will notice the side wall stands a bit higher then most 225's 50 16's and they look thiner as well.

Crappy MBC eh? Anyways, all if not all, most tires we run are not suitable for winter, good winter tires should not be wide at all, the shout be thin and have winter tread, not water/rain tread, dont think that ur 275's are better than 195 in winter, the tread material and pattern are totally different! also I have the ecsta supra's on my front wheels and toyo's in the rear... and i have to say, the toyos are a little better... one blew so i put them in the back!

·
Former MKIII owner
1,081 Posts
here is what i have to say.....they are the best for the money! For that price i say they are the best. They are not the best tire for gripping in the corners or holding trac on hard launches but you can't get any better price on 275-40-17s (size i have) for $110 a piece that do have decent grip. If i am gonna go out racing i will just put on my running shoes ;) (BFG drag radials mounted on 2 spare tire rims)

·
What do u mean?Its Stock!
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the opinions and comments, made the decision to get them, the car is really a weekend car and nice weekends at that ;) I really dont take the car out in the rain or snow..thats what i got the Accord for :D. Anyways thanks again and i will let you know how it goes..

ps. Jeff how do you like the 245s in the front vs lets say a 235?

thanks

Steve

M

·
0 Posts
I've had 245 kuhmo's all around for about a year now. They seem to be holding up really good actually. They don't seem as wide as other 245's to me though. They are awesome in wet though. My old yokohoma's would be everywhere in the rain. It was scary. But one thing I've noticed with these tirees over my old yokohoma's is once you break these loose, you gotta let off usually to get them to hook back up. The braking on the wet roads seems to be awesome to me. I don't even have ABS and I've slammed the brakes really hard just to test and no sliding at all.

·
loudest
140 Posts
I've had them on my car with the monsoon wheels 245/45/17 F and 275/40/17 rear. I just received my new ones after I had my mishap and I compared the tread wear to old ones and they looked almost even. Surprised the hell outta me. I should be getting my wheels back from repair shop monday and then I will back at it again guys.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts