Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought you guys might like to hear what I think of the new wheel/tire set-up that I've had on the car for a few weeks now.

For those of you who don't know I am running 265/35-18s front and 295/30-18s rear.

I am simply amazed at how the extra rubber changes the charactaristics of the car. Turn-in and response are 1000% improved. The car does not push the way it use to... it simply plants and turns.

The new tires make the car FEEL and drive like a much smaller, lighter car.

With the old stock set-up it wasn't bad... but it wasn't really exciting either (typical Toyota)... but now it is a VERY exciting car to drive. It feels almost as good as my old RX-7... it's still not quite as involving to drive as the RX-7... but it's getting pretty damn close. Considering the weight difference I find this simply amazing.

For those of you considering swapping out your stockers to a set of wider wheels/tires... I just thought you might like to hear what it's done for my car. HUGE IMPROVEMENT!

Thanks again to Steve Jarvis for his sizing help.

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Slasher48 said:
What kind of wheels and tires do you have?
*****e Evolution - Wheels

Yokohama AVS Sports - Tires

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Jim Swantko said:

SSR GP-O Decolte Evolution - Wheels

Yokohama AVS Sports - Tires
What are the widths and offset of your SSRs, Jim?

May I ask why you decided to go with the Yokos vs. some PZeros or some such? I'm curious because I have the PZeros and I love them in the dry, but they suck a$$ in the wet.

...and they don't come in anything more than a 245 in the front Directional...
so I'm running:

Kinesis K20s with PZeros at Directional 245/35/18 and Asymmetrical 295/35/18... IIRC.

Were you able to get a good deal on the Yokos?

Thanks in advance.

·
3,148 Posts
quick,

Jim is running 18x9.5" 50mm offset front and 18x11" 49mm offset rear. He will need to answer the rest of your questions.

Jim,

Glad your enjoying the setup. Wait till you try the 275/35's front. :)

Later, Steve

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Steve Jarvis said:
quick,

Jim is running 18x9.5" 50mm offset front and 18x11" 49mm offset rear. He will need to answer the rest of your questions.
Thanks a lot, Steve. You're a great resource to the Supra community, and I really appreciate the information that you have provided.

I need to determine the exact width and offset of my K20s as I purchased them with the car and don't know. I believe that I am running 18x9.5s and 18x11s as well but as to the offset... ? I think I'm going to have to call Kinesis.

Do you have any insight into a comparison between the Yokos and the PZeros, Steve?

I noticed that the Yokos are only Y-rated, but they do appear to have better wet traction... any thoughts on the Y vs. Z rating?

Thanks again.

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quick said:

May I ask why you decided to go with the Yokos vs. some PZeros or some such? I'm curious because I have the PZeros and I love them in the dry, but they suck a$$ in the wet.

...and they don't come in anything more than a 245 in the front Directional...
so I'm running:

Thanks Steve for saving me some work! haha

I went with the Yokohamas for a few reasons:

1. They were highly recommended by Steve
2. They came in the sizes I wanted (per Steve again :) )
3. The pricing was good..

I am very happy with them so far.. except for that gash on the left rear... right Steve?!!??!?! Just kidding :D

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Jim Swantko said:

I went with the Yokohamas for a few reasons:

1. They were highly recommended by Steve
2. They came in the sizes I wanted (per Steve again :) )
3. The pricing was good..

I am very happy with them so far.. except for that gash on the left rear...
Have you had any experience driving them in the rain? Any thoughts?

I love the 'deep dish' style rims. Very nice looking, Jim. :)

What happened to the left rear? Get a flat?

I'll look into getting the Yokos when next I buy tires (likely August or sooner depending on miles and burnouts)... :)

T

·
0 Posts
Nice setup!!!

Hey Jim,

How much for the whole setup including rolling/trimming your fenders if you had to ???

Did you have to roll/trim the fenders???

:D

·
3,148 Posts
Jim Swantko,

Sorry, it didn't sound that bad. :)

Quick,

I have run both the P-Zero's and AVS Sports on my Supra. I think they are very comperable tires. The AVS Sport is a better tire in the rain. I think in general the AVS Sports are slightly less expensive.

Unless you plan on running MAINTAINED speeds in excess of 186 mph the speed rating won't make any difference.

Jim's left rear was the victim of a very critical fender lip to tire clearance test. :) I think we should all thank Jim for sacrificing his new tire so the Supra community can further it's cause of ever larger rubber for MKIV's. :D

Yes, you do need to roll/cut the fender lip slightly (about 1/4") to run his setup in the rear. It will only rub under very aggressive driving. So everyone need to tell Jim to take it easier and he wouldn't need those fender lips trimmed. :)

Later, Steve

N

·
0 Posts
Jim,
Does it rub in the rear end?
I have the Teins and have set the car pretty low to the ground, my 295/35's rub in the rear. Having a bodyshop cut off the rear lips off right now so that shouldnt be a problem anymore.

There was even a noticable difference between the 285/30's vs. 295/35's.... wish I would have used the ladder sooner =)

take care,
nils

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve Jarvis said:
Jim Swantko,

Sorry, it didn't sound that bad. :)

Jim's left rear was the victim of a very critical fender lip to tire clearance test. :) I think we should all thank Jim for sacrificing his new tire so the Supra community can further it's cause of ever larger rubber for MKIV's. :D

Yes, you do need to roll/cut the fender lip slightly (about 1/4") to run his setup in the rear. It will only rub under very aggressive driving. So everyone need to tell Jim to take it easier and he wouldn't need those fender lips trimmed. :)

Later, Steve
I hope you Supra guys appreciate my sacrifice! The things I do for the Supra..... :D

Steve... Don't worry I WILL be sure to take it easier on the old girl in the future! hahaha

Don't you need me to test the roll-over charactaristics of the Supra... with your car? :D

Nils...

The rears DID rub... but only when a certain maniac *cough* Steve Jarvis *cough* was really working the car through the turns. :D

It was pretty easy to cut the fenders... I did mine in about 45 minutes per side. It really is incredible how the handling of the car will change with the new tires. Toyota should have put these steam-rollers on from the factory!

TTT...

I have about $3500 in the wheels/tires... I did the trimming myself... BUT I did have to but a rotozip... so add $200. But that was a "company" item so it WILL be deducted hahah... I hope the IRS doesn't browse this board!

·
3,148 Posts
Jim,

You can drive my car again anytime you want to. :) You need to test the 275/35's and swaybars.

Later, Steve

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Steve Jarvis said:
Jim,

You can drive my car again anytime you want to. :) You need to test the 275/35's and swaybars.

Later, Steve
I'll take you up on that. When do we test fit the new box we measured for last time?

·
3,148 Posts
I just bought some materials for it this weekend. Hopefully I will be able to get it something made up this week. I will let you know.

Later, Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts