Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I want to buy some mandrel 2.5" pipe and a muffler to get some sound out of my 88 N/A supra. I've seen where some cars sounded better after a cat removal and some sounded like crap. I have no idea how Supras respond. I do not have to worry about inspections. Any opinions on that?

Also, my budget is pretty thin so I can't buy a 200 dollar muffler. I've seen some nice looking mufflers on ebay that are cheap(less than 50 bucks). Anybody have any experience with these?

Thanks for any input.

Mike

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I won't waste my time gutting it. I'll completely remove it. That isn't my problem. I just want to know if doing so would cause the car to sound like sh!t.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
i have a $40 muffler off ebay. it looks and sounds good. not to loud at all and its got a nice rumble to it. but im turbo with full 3"

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any idea on what type of muffler spool? I've seen some that look really nice with nice welds for cheap. Just pay for the muffler with the crazy shipping costs.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
i have no idea. i got it about 2 years ago. :(
but i know it has an angle tip. 3" inlet and 4" outlet. shipping was like $20

·
Supra teacher 101
613 Posts

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SupraDreams, looks like we have identical cars.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I will be dropping the cat.

·
690 Posts
Lucky you, you're in NC. In Cali for this car TWO cat's are needed... :faint: . One of these days Imma move to Canada... Freaking Emission Laws...

·
Sir Digby Chicken Ceasar
519 Posts
1988SupraDreams said:
Lucky you, you're in NC. In Cali for this car TWO cat's are needed... :faint: . One of these days Imma move to Canada... Freaking Emission Laws...
I pass with one

·
690 Posts
Yeah when I get my new Muffler and My new Cat, and NEW PIPING, I'm sure I'll pass with one too Lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
My cat is hollowed and I noticed a power increase but I also got new pipe I believe its either 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 with a muffler I bought from NOPI for 25$... but its really too loud now.. I wanna go with a carbon fiber muffler with a baffle.. its really raspy sounding and just too loud

·
Sir Digby Chicken Ceasar
519 Posts
1988SupraDreams said:
Yeah when I get my new Muffler and My new Cat, and NEW PIPING, I'm sure I'll pass with one too Lol
Yea, I don't know why but my cars have never come with more than one cat. :scratch: I barely pass every time but it still happens so I don't complain.

·
690 Posts
I was three points under failing with two :lol:

·
Registered
271 Posts
dumping the CAT isn't what makes the system LOUD.

It's when you take the sub muffler(de-resonator) off. when I went W/the straight pipe I went from 18MPG to 8, lost ALL of my bottom end except for WOT It sounded decent(from what everybody said) standing outside the car but the interior noise was way unexceptable(4th gear at 35mph was the worst. and it's not just my MKIII; its like this in EVERY car I've been in W/ a straight pipe(s). I lucked up and found an 87T system at thejunk yard W/a new hi-flow cat and everything else original. the muffler was rusted out on the inside but the casing was intact so it stayed but i had to break down and replace the sub W/ a cheap glasspack. It's quiet when I'm puttin' around in traffic but when I go a rompin everyone knows I'm coming
so what i'm getting at is keep the de-resonator (unless you like having your ears ring for half an hour after you get where your going). the muffler and CAT can be replaced or removed. here in SC though the honest muffler shops won't touch the cat(it's felony to tamper W/them) and if you really piss the cops off they'll look for things to write you up for(like fuckin W/the exhaust) so I'd get a bolt on test pipe(at least it looks like it's supposed to be there. Or if you gutt the CAT put a pipe thru it. anyway.....just my 3.5 cents
stoic

·
BMM
2,329 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree.. w/o the sub muffler its just ass... I sound like I am at a nascar race or something when I pass cars cuz my muffler is angled out a little bit.. I really regret knocking off the sub muff. plus, I too seen a gas mileage decrease

1 - 20 of 22 Posts