Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im Planning On getting a Supra late This Summer or After that, And when i get it i am going to change the Stock Turbos, But im not sure with Turbo system to get yet.
If i was going to go Single i would get either The Greddy T88 or The HKS T51R.
But if i was to go Twin Turbo i would Get the HKS 2835-3240GT (Not Sure which one yet) Turbos since those are the only good twin setups that i know aboutthat i accually like.

I wanted to know which kit would be good for a Drag car thats not gonna be driven on the street alot and can easily bring me into the Very low 10's or faster.

Also, If you do run any of these kits or you know lots of info on it, If Possible, i wanted to know how much RWHP can it make. Also, When i am driving it on the Street, Is the Lag easy to drive through? Also which Turbo setup has very good Top-End, Single or Twin Turbo setup?

Please help me, Thank you very much.

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: V12 KLR ]

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Chad -

If you want a full out car setup for drag racing - shoot me an email at [email protected] - I have a Single Turbo T76 automatic that makes the power you need to get into the 10s. I'll give you a good deal.

Plus, you'll save alot by buying one already built, rather than doing it all from scratch.

Jay

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Originally posted by V12 KLR:
<STRONG>Jay, Who makes the T76 single turbo setup ?</STRONG>
The T-76 is a BB unit from Turbonetics - if you're looking for drag racing power, this is the turbo....

Jay

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have any Pictures of your Supra's Engine Bay Or a site with more pics of your supra?

Does The T-76 Flow More Air Than The Greddy T88?

Have you Ever Boost it higher than 18 Pounds? If you did how much RWHP did you make at how much boost From that turbo?

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
<STRONG>Do you have any Pictures of your Supra's Engine Bay Or a site with more pics of your supra?

Does The T-76 Flow More Air Than The Greddy T88?

Have you Ever Boost it higher than 18 Pounds? If you did how much RWHP did you make at how much boost From that turbo?</STRONG>
Here is a link to more pics:

RSP - Supra

Note: The 3 MSD boxes are currently being replaced/upgraded to one big MSD hi-output box, and I'm getting a new air intake made. As for the boost, no I've never had it above 18psi - however, right now the car is at Bullish Racing - for some more upgrades and "refreshing" of some other stuff. I will have some hi-boost pulls (30psi) in by next week or so...don't be suprised to see 700rwhp.

From what I gather, the T76 flows nearly as much air as the T88.

Jay

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You Man :).

Believe me, I would not be suprised if its Even higher than that. ;)

Was the T-76 a kit or you had to build it yourself(Is that an HKS Ti system your running)?

Whats the fastest your baby ran in the quarter mile and was it on street tires, drags radials, or Slicks?

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Let's see - the T76 turbo sits on an RPS header - not a kit.

I actually haven't raced the car yet myself. However, the previous owner had time slips showing 10.63 on drag radials....take that for what you will....

It has even more potential - it's just alittle too much car for me. I'm looking for something more stock. Keep me in mind if you're looking for a drag Supra.

Jay

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Chad,
If you are planning to drag race the car regularly I'd go w/ a smaller turbo/turbos. Especially if you're getting a 6spd. The big turbos make plenty of power, but are not very easy to get outta the hole. You'll need at least a 2-step, slicks and maybe even some NOS.
If you're considering an auto, then it's a different story, as long as you have a high stall converter.
The smaller turbos have flatter curves that provide better acceleration in the 1/4. If you want to run 1000m's then go w/ a BIG turbo.
The lag on a big turbo is not a problem on the street w/ a 6spd. You can drive around it. Anyone who's ever been in my car has said, "Where was the lag?"
Good luck.
Scott

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jay,
Thats Fast :eek: :eek: !!!!!
If you ran it on slicks ...... well you get my point ;).What transmission are you running?

Scott,
I am thinking of getting a 6 speed and i am going to run NOS,the 2-step system, slicks and all the other goodies.But for some reason im still thinking about the T88.
Have you ever ran over 18 pounds of boost?

Is the T72 any good?

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
<STRONG>jay,
If you ran it on slicks ...... well you get my point ;).What transmission are you running?

</STRONG>
Thanks man...actually there is rumor that this car ran on Street E/T's once - - I even think Larry (SP) saw it, I could be wrong though. On that run it did 115mph in the 1/8, then blew a hose or something and couldn't comeplete the run...I never saw a slip for that pass...so take it for what you will....

Jay

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
<STRONG>jay,

Scott,
I am thinking of getting a 6 speed and i am going to run NOS,the 2-step system, slicks and all the other goodies.But for some reason im still thinking about the T88.
Have you ever ran over 18 pounds of boost?

Is the T72 any good?</STRONG>
Chad,
The car has not seen over 18#'s...yet. I'm hoping to get to the dyno this week for some more spirited boosting :)
Scott

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Scott you car is gonna put down some frightening #'s at high boost. That T88 is just getting started at 18psi!!!!!!!

Jay

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
v10klr>that rx7 is flying for stock twins
jay> your supra sounds awesome,i want an automatic one when i get one,what size converter do you have to run on that big or a turbo on an auto,ive seen 4k converters on cars with 63's
Thanks Brian

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Thanks man....I run a 4200 rpm stall on it. The big T76 actually isn't bad at all with a big stall.

Jay

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by 6pakattak:
<STRONG>v10klr>that rx7 is flying for stock twins
</STRONG>
Yeah its flying now but it feels like it does not have anymore in her with the stock turbo's.

Jay, i called RPS a few days ago and i finally know which turbo kit im getting for the supra now....T76 :). They told me some good things about the kit. But there is one thing i wanted to ask you, Was The T88 Supra that you use to have an Auto?

Later,

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just FYI: a local Supra here did back to back 1.7 60' with a T88, no NOS, on drag radials. Secret was TRD motor/tranny mounts, suspension, and the two-step. So yes, it's easier with a smaller turbo, but it's not a prerequisite! The T72 turbo is excellent: 700 rwhp, streetable, and add direct port to that and you have 9 sec power if you can get the launches right. Check out the Turbonetics website for that turbo's flowchart - it's very good.

BTW, the HKS 3240s are HUGE. The Veilside Supra armed with 3037s runs 9s on drag radials at over 155 mph. My turbos are the modest 2835s, and they are only a cunthair smaller than a T88.

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: 2JZGTE ]

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by V10KLR:
<STRONG>Yeah its flying now but it feels like it does not have anymore in her with the stock turbo's.

Jay, i called RPS a few days ago and i finally know which turbo kit im getting for the supra now....T76 :). They told me some good things about the kit. But there is one thing i wanted to ask you, Was The T88 Supra that you use to have an Auto?

Later,</STRONG>
A word of caution if you're going with the RPS kit. Make sure you purchase the kit from a competent shop/business or someone that's going to install it for you. My kit was missing soooo many parts it was pathetic. Also, I just got rid of the "wannabe air cleaner potential compressor housing jammer :eek:" for a 9" K&N filter...

Other than that my T66 kicks butt....

Melvin
:D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Walser, Im hoping that the T76 and the other things i plained on getting with it would get me into the low tens or faster easily:sad: .

which Veilside supra runs nines :drooling:? Is it the 7th Anniversary one?

Melvin, yeah i've noticed that happens to alot of people, i want a T76 but i only see people selling T72 kits, i hope i don't have any missing parts as well :( . I might be changing the piping and mount a Blitz Sus Intake on it when i get it :) .

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Which kit are you interested in? I can build you any turbo you want with our kit. Also, with a T76 make sure you DO NOT get a turbonetics racegate, it will be too small to regulate boost adequately.

Lar
SP

1 - 20 of 26 Posts