Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new bike for the start of summer. The budget is around $8k.

I have not rode in years. My former bikes have been (in order):

1998 Ducati 916 (awesome, except for the aluminum bolts, finicky engine, etc.)
2004 CBR 600rr (favorite of the bunch)
2006 GSXR 750 (least amount of time on)

I loved to ride, but living an hour away from work, and dumb people driving in the mornings and after work, I decided to sell. I have been bikeless for almost 10 years, and now that I am 5 minutes from work, I want another. I would like to stay off liter bikes, as I dont need to see 200 mph, and also I am not a huge guy (5'10 - 160). I would like another sport bike, but am looking for a bit more comfort. I do not like motards, nor do I like anything Harley-esque. The last bike I rode was my friends 1200GS, and that was comfortable.

What do you guys recommend looking at?

·
Registered
380 Posts
After having owned a 2006 gsxr 750, 2007 gsxr 1000 and riding a cbr 600 and a kawasaki 660 I absolutely believe that the gsxr 750 is the best all around bike. Even after I got my 1000 I actually kinda missed my 750. Also, I can say that if comfort is of concern that the gsxr 750 shines brighter than any sport bike I have ever been on. This is all opinion of course but I too have been without a bike since 07 when I sold the 1000 and I am currently looking. I am looking for a 2006-2009 gsxr 750. My experience with the gsxr's wasnt a long time but since the purchase of the 750 in april of 06 and the trade in for the 1000 in june of 07 I put over 9000 miles on the 750 and over a 1000 on the 1000. So, I guess thats the long way of saying I definitely think you should get a gsxr 750.:)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep falling back into the memories of the 750. It really was a fun bike, but I only had it for about a year. In that time, I might have put 1200 miles on it. I will probably end up getting another...

·
NY56637
1,813 Posts
I keep falling back into the memories of the 750. It really was a fun bike, but I only had it for about a year. In that time, I might have put 1200 miles on it. I will probably end up getting another...
I've owned a 06 ZX6-RR and a 2011 ZX10-R. I know you want to stay away from liter bikes but I LOVED my ZX10-R. Obviously tons of power (remember: you control the throttle, the power is only there when you want to use it ;) ). When you hop on a gen 4 ZX10 you will certainly notice how smooth the ride is with traction control and etc, it was a very easy bike to handle and a blast to ride.

When you say "liter bikes", that technically refers to a 1000cc bike. I assume you mean you don't want a "Super Sport" which refers to the GSXR, ZX, and etc?

I would check out the Ninja 1000 sport bike. (This is not the Ninja ZX10-R super sport) I rode one of these when I sold motorcycles and it was a really comfortable sport bike for the street that does not require aggressive leaning forward and etc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
+1 on the Ninja 1000. I have a '14 R1 and a N1000. The N1000 is a pussycat and very comfortable. I found the R1 to be absolutely obnoxious in any traction mode except "Wet". But I'm addicted to the crossplane exhaust sound. FYI I'm selling my N1000; I'm a bit far, but PM me if interested.

·
Registered
937 Posts
More cc's = more better
600's suck all the time, except when you're at the race track. They seriously only put 35 lb-ft to the rear tire, and that's way up in the revs. 1000+ cc bikes are WAY more fun on the street where you're not always having to wring the bikes neck to make it go. If you don't believe me, try passing someone on the freeway on a 600 without downshifting.
Liter bikes are no more dangerous than 600's. Both will KILL you if you let them. Be smart, but seriously, you'll enjoy a bigger engine for the torque a lot more. Trust me!
I had a x14 and if I buy another bike it'll be a big bore 4 cylinder. Nothing replaces displacement.

·
Registered
165 Posts
To expand a little on gilberjj's thought

Why not get a vtwin or v4 motor (albeit overkill for what you're looking to do). The v-twins make very good power on the low end where most of you riding will be. I'm biased because I work for the largest Aprilia dealer, but if i wanted something for around town that has torque, but not a huge top end, I would be looking into a first or second generation Tuono. Upright, comfortable, torquey and has a rotax v990 that is a tank motor. The v4 cant be beat though, but from what you describe it might be too much bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts