Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, right now I am at FSU. But I still have so many BS Gordon Rule (40k word writing requirement of something) classes, while a buddy of mine will be in his major already at UCF.

Just wandering if I should hold out at FSU cause they have a good engineering program, or is UCF better?

UF supposedly has the best engineering school in Florida, so I could possibly transfer out of here later and get my masters at UF. (didn't make the cut to get in based on GPA and SAT/ACT scores when applying)

Any opinions. I can't put my finger on anything to convince me to transfer.

·
Digital DNA
353 Posts
From what I understand, UCF has the better engineering program (between UCF and FSU). Though FSU's engineering program has gotten better, it's not as good as UCF's or UF's. I believe UCF has much better internship programs available too, considering there are alot of corporate parks out by that way.

My friend graduated from UCF with a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering recently, and landed a job with a very big name company. Needless to say, he's making a great living for himself already.

What field of engineering are you considering?

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
I am at UF Mechanical Engineering and its a really good program, so if you have the chance to transfer I would suggest here. But if you are choosing between UCF and FSU goto UCF no doubt about that. They have develped their engineering program to compete with UF and they have some very cool specialized programs with nascar ect, and co-ops setup though the school with local companies like Locheed if you were mechanical for example. I honestly didnt even think FSU had an engineering program. :D

·
Digital DNA
353 Posts
MTR said:
I am at UF Mechanical Engineering and its a really good program, so if you have the chance to transfer I would suggest here. But if you are choosing between UCF and FSU goto UCF no doubt about that. They have develped their engineering program to compete with UF and they have some very cool specialized programs with nascar ect, and co-ops setup though the school with local companies like Locheed if you were mechanical for example. I honestly didnt even think FSU had an engineering program. :D
Hehe, I agree. I didn't know that FSU even had one, but I was told that they do and it's "decent".

I'd still go the safe and proven route though. UCF is your answer. Nice university too, still very new in many aspects, plus you're in Orlando.

·
7M till the END
586 Posts
UCF definetly. for one reason, I am gong there, lol, I will start in September, 2 years and I will get my B.S.I.T, yeah, not that BS, lol. but really, UCF is one of the best probably in Florida, stay away from UNF, they are good but not as nearly as good as UCF, FSU doesnt really offer that much incase you decided to change majors later on. like now, I already got my A.A.S in IT, but planning to go for Networking, but since no university in FL has a bachelor in networking, the closest to it is IT. anyway, the engineering department at UCF is one of the nicest definetly. do your research, go to both capmuses if possible and see which one you like better, lol, trust me, its important to feel comfortable when seeing the college buildings.
and besides, cmon man, Orlando is probably the best city in FL after Miami.

·
TH400 Club
809 Posts
Mike(volvo) and Eddie(integra and delorean) are both Engineering majors In tallahassee. Why dont you ask them about the program? The only bad thing I could see with gettign an Engineering degree at FSU is that you have to go off campus. I chose FSU over UCF (non engineering major) for many reasons. To many tourists in Orlando for me. If you want me to get you in contact with mike or eddie let me know.

·
Digital DNA
353 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Florida A&M share it's engineering campus with FSU?

D

·
0 Posts
MTR said:
UF currently has the best program in FL, but UCF isn't to far behind. I am a BSME at UCF and they have a great program with a lot to offer, many internships/ co-ops. Not to mention many recruiting programs with siemens, lockheed martin, harris, and other local companies. Like MTR said, I didn't even know FSU had an engineering program :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Willjs7 said:
Mike(volvo) and Eddie(integra and delorean) are both Engineering majors In tallahassee. Why dont you ask them about the program? The only bad thing I could see with gettign an Engineering degree at FSU is that you have to go off campus. I chose FSU over UCF (non engineering major) for many reasons. To many tourists in Orlando for me. If you want me to get you in contact with mike or eddie let me know.
I think I had Mike in one of my intro classes. White turbo volvo? Anyway ...yeah please do help me get in contact with them.

Yes FAMU shares with FSU.

Here's an option though. What if I stay here, but get my MS for Mechanical Engineering at UF at a later date?

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
TopSecretFC said:
I think I had Mike in one of my intro classes. White turbo volvo? Anyway ...yeah please do help me get in contact with them.

Yes FAMU shares with FSU.

Here's an option though. What if I stay here, but get my MS for Mechanical Engineering at UF at a later date?
Not to be a dick but I seriously doubt you will be able to get into UF for grad school in mechanical engineering if you undergrad is from FSU. I have friends who have been turned down by mechanical grad school and have really good GPAs, got their BS in mechanical at uf and have great test scores.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok, explain that last sentence again. Sounds a little awkward.

Colleges should understand GPAs are bullshit. Private schools and public schools differ in grading and difficulty. I could have gone to a public school and gotten a 5.0, no sweat.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Not even a question in my mind, go to UCF if you cant get here to UF. Didnt even know FSU had en engineering degreee. UCF is a great school to go to. If I hadent been going to UF, I would have probably been going there.

D

·
0 Posts
Well I base that off CS and Aerospace... Not sure about mechanical and electronic

·
Registered
980 Posts
I graduated BSEE from UCF. Offered a partial scholarship to Univ of Miami in Biomedical engineering. Never made it :)

At age 42 I make 127k/yr developing communications software for the space station. I've never had any problem getting a job until now. But that is because I want a job within 50 miles of my Cape Canaveral townhouse. I'm sick of Houston.

Anyway,when I graduated UCF it was considered one of the top ten technical schools in the southeast. Not too far behind GA tech. And I know it's only improved over the years.

·
7M till the END
586 Posts
yeah yeah yeah, go to UCF, when you make it there let me now. I need a roommate becuase the dorms are 80% for freshmen, and for the rest of guys like me, the 20% is already gone. anyway, good luck with what ever decision you make.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, unfortunately I have to reapply and it is very late in the season to apply. Chances aren't so great that I will get in I don't think. They threw away my previous application so they will never know I got accepted unless I show the the letter, hmm.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts