Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm new to Supras, other than the ones I saw and drove when I was in Japan in the early 90s. But that was ages ago. Anyhoo, I'm here in Idaho and was helping a friend go through old things, pricing them, when we walk past a 1986 Supra Mk III sitting in the field. He told me that's up for grabs as well. Now, I've helped my dad restore a few old cars in my time and I currently rebuild motorcycles as a hobby.

I've been reading these forums, looking for parts, and gathering info before I go grab this thing. My plan is a full rebuild, as it's all original- pull engine repaint, all that jazz. I don't plan on an engine swap. I do plan on rebuilding the engine whether it runs or not as it's been sitting, it's old, and needs all new rubber and gaskets (especially that head gasket I read so much about).

I'm not so much asking if it's worth it, as any old car is only worth it to the owner. Is my understanding correct that the exterior 2-tone with tan interior is harder to find? I'm not a fan of the tan, but if it's better to keep it that way vs going with a color change, then I will.

Other than rust in the spare tire area and wheel wells, what else should I look for specifically on these cars body?

Interior-wise is my largest concern as I've done plenty of engine work and body work, but finding interior components seems to be the hardest thing. I've found carpet suppliers, have a good upholsterer, and gauge face replacements, but I haven't seen an aftermarket dash to swap out, as the one that is in it is completely shot. There's no cutting up the thing to patch and repaint. Shifter and e-brake boots?

I know, I've read through a few of these "gonna buy a Mk III" threads, and I only have a few photos (cuz a post is worthless without them!). I may go back just to get more info on the car. Thanks for any insight.

FF5133EF-C0C9-45E0-A9AD-3375DC277163_1_105_c.jpeg 36E2B8BD-D7D8-4DA5-9B5D-80F03987A87E_1_105_c.jpeg

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think you'll find support for the Mk3 is better than average on mechanical parts owing to the Toyota badge, but for tan interior parts you may struggle. However, to make those faded but still usable plastic bits a fresh tan, you will discover the magic of today's vinyl dyes by SEM. More on that later. The dash is going to be tough as even if you find a used one it may need some work, it is far more likely to be grey, and it will cost a bundle to ship. So that is worth considering a strategy.

On the body, nothing special that you wouldn't already look for. I understand the battery tray area is notorious and mine has that issue. You might take a photo of the vin tag near the brake booster on the firewall as it will reveal any other unusual options such as a limited slip diff or the like.

Other than that, I'm in Idaho and currently about a month from getting mine back on the road and have been down the path you are contemplating! If I can be of any assistance, let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve seen great work in the forums with SEM dyes and the DuPont paints as well. Honestly, I’d like to go for something other than a tan interior. I think charcoal would be nice, not the gray I’ve seen in other OEM shots. But that’d be custom. I’d only keep the tan if it’s worth more to keep it stock, as I’ve never been a fan of tan interiors, especially in dark cars. I do like the 2 tone of the car and will probably keep the stock exterior color scheme.

that dash is probably my only real concern about being able to restore the car. Are there other hard to find parts I should also be concerned with?

·
...pop the hood!
1,113 Posts
i don't think ive seen one that was two tone that wasn't custom painted. if this was factory, id be interested to see what other color combos there were.

get more pics if you can

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
so if you will ever sell the car. OEM colors will ALWAYS fetch more than custom colors. So if it is tan interior. Clean it up and leave it as is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, I'm new to Supras, other than the ones I saw and drove when I was in Japan in the early 90s. But that was ages ago. Anyhoo, I'm here in Idaho and was helping a friend go through old things, pricing them, when we walk past a 1986 Supra Mk III sitting in the field. He told me that's up for grabs as well. Now, I've helped my dad restore a few old cars in my time and I currently rebuild motorcycles as a hobby.

I've been reading these forums, looking for parts, and gathering info before I go grab this thing. My plan is a full rebuild, as it's all original- pull engine repaint, all that jazz. I don't plan on an engine swap. I do plan on rebuilding the engine whether it runs or not as it's been sitting, it's old, and needs all new rubber and gaskets (especially that head gasket I read so much about).

I'm not so much asking if it's worth it, as any old car is only worth it to the owner. Is my understanding correct that the exterior 2-tone with tan interior is harder to find? I'm not a fan of the tan, but if it's better to keep it that way vs going with a color change, then I will.

Other than rust in the spare tire area and wheel wells, what else should I look for specifically on these cars body?

Interior-wise is my largest concern as I've done plenty of engine work and body work, but finding interior components seems to be the hardest thing. I've found carpet suppliers, have a good upholsterer, and gauge face replacements, but I haven't seen an aftermarket dash to swap out, as the one that is in it is completely shot. There's no cutting up the thing to patch and repaint. Shifter and e-brake boots?

I know, I've read through a few of these "gonna buy a Mk III" threads, and I only have a few photos (cuz a post is worthless without them!). I may go back just to get more info on the car. Thanks for any insight.

View attachment 260317 View attachment 260318
Don’t color change rare color to come by

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going by today to get more photos and details. Gonna grab the numbers off the firewall and get engine type and such. Anything else to look at while I'm there?

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
Unpopular opinion - a clean redone interior that's genuinely nice will always be worth more than an original tan or maroon interior with condition issues. Grey, and especially the 91-92 Shadow Grey, tend to command a premium and/or help the car sell faster.

Also, based on the interior and overall condition, I'd bet money on the paint being original - I have never once seen a color change that went to one of the OEM 2 tone combos.

Being an earlier year manual trans car, and given the condition problems with the paint and interior, I'd restore it in whatever color combo you wanted.

Reactions: mobileazn

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Being an earlier year manual trans car, and given the condition problems with the paint and interior, I'd restore it in whatever color combo you wanted.
Just from my cursory glance the other day, the interior is just shot. Not much salvageable for being able to restore. Dry rot and vinyl peeling everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
Just from my cursory glance the other day, the interior is just shot. Not much salvageable for being able to restore. Dry rot and vinyl peeling everywhere.
Then I'd wait for the right deal to pop up on a wrecked parts car or other complete-ish interior in a more desirable color, or misc parts that can all be dyed a color you like, and restore it from there. Tan interiors are not particularly desirable or collectable to most folks, even MKIII die hards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, got more photos. The wheel wells feel and look good. We couldn't get the hatch open so I could check the spare tire well. Spark plug wires have been eaten away by mice, as a lot of other rubber was. I expected it to be all dry rotted and gone anyway. You can see the toasted dashboard. Seats are ripped up really good, but this is all stuff I expected. Exterior looks to be in great shape. Only a ding or 2 here or there. Doesn't look like any water damage in the front or rear seat area, but again, couldn't get into the hatch area.

The model is: MA70L-BLMVFA
and the C/TR/A/TM is: 27AFD42G284W58. <-- not sure about the '5'

Looking at the VIN decoder, it was originally an Adobe interior and a Beige M/brown M(27A) exterior. Other equipment listed was:

• CF **CARPETED FLOOR MATS
  • PE POWER DRIVER'S SEAT
  • TT TWO-TONE EXTERIOR PAINT

What would you all consider fair value for this? I have a lot of wiggle room, but want to be fair.
92A9105B-1F08-47EB-9527-DB193F63EEF7_1_105_c.jpeg D8FB0396-BAAE-4501-BC4C-E04C3EAA3F65_1_105_c.jpeg 2C00AA70-DD2E-456C-81D1-847CEF9F0E18_1_105_c.jpeg BFB12B2E-3174-4DC2-A9B6-936F05716AC8_1_105_c.jpeg AE590A7E-B878-44A8-BC55-1485381DE53B_1_105_c.jpeg 13268583-0842-46FD-8E0C-C608C8F50C92_1_201_a.jpeg C7ABB1CF-DF64-4A1F-B7BE-97AFE97887C5_1_105_c.jpeg AB67EFC6-7197-45E0-B40D-FF9A9BC427E4_1_105_c.jpeg 7824A92A-E9B8-4AC1-B089-DC1DEACECF00_1_105_c.jpeg D6ECF545-07BB-4C68-91CB-29AB95788371_1_105_c.jpeg

1 - 20 of 41 Posts