Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
OK, got more photos. The wheel wells feel and look good. We couldn't get the hatch open so I could check the spare tire well. Spark plug wires have been eaten away by mice, as a lot of other rubber was. I expected it to be all dry rotted and gone anyway. You can see the toasted dashboard. Seats are ripped up really good, but this is all stuff I expected. Exterior looks to be in great shape. Only a ding or 2 here or there. Doesn't look like any water damage in the front or rear seat area, but again, couldn't get into the hatch area.

The model is: MA70L-BLMVFA
and the C/TR/A/TM is: 27AFD42G284W58. <-- not sure about the '5'

Looking at the VIN decoder, it was originally an Adobe interior and a Beige M/brown M(27A) exterior. Other equipment listed was:

• CF **CARPETED FLOOR MATS

• PE POWER DRIVER'S SEAT

• TT TWO-TONE EXTERIOR PAINT

What would you all consider fair value for this? I have a lot of wiggle room, but want to be fair.
View attachment 260372 View attachment 260373 View attachment 260376 View attachment 260381 View attachment 260382 View attachment 260374 View attachment 260377 View attachment 260378 View attachment 260379 View attachment 260380
500-1000 Canadian pesos is all id pay for that...i hope the guy selling it isnt one of those "i know what i got" kinda guys because that will take thousands to bring back to a half decent driving car

Edit...deffinitily closer to 500 looking again at the pics

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Look... I'm probably one of the most die hard Mk3 guys you'll ever meet, to the point of more devotion than brains. Optimistically speaking, it will likely cost $50k to restore that thing to anything resembling a nice Supra unless you're incredibly talented, lucky, and do all your own work. I know this will probably come across as rude, and for that I apologize, but you have a VERY tall mountain to climb with this particular car.

Things in your favor:
-Experience restoring cars and obviously not afraid to dive into a project
-Toyota has been recreating discontinued parts lately, at a slow pace, but it's something
-You can probably pick it up cheap. I'm thinking no more than $2000, considering, well... everything.
-3D printing is a thing now, as are CNC routers
-Everything that makes this a "car" is available. Advanced as this car is, no silly Denloc tires or anything impossible to find is needed to make it a "car"

Things not in your favor:
-Rust. If you can see it, it's because it's eaten through the metal already.
-Parts availability is uh... well, it's terrible these days. A few things are available new, but definitely not everything you're gonna need.
-Even the best used parts are just shy of 30 years old.
-The "Supra Tax" that seems to be becoming a thing...
-Everything that makes this a "Supra" is long discontinued from Toyota.

As for your question about what to look for, you already know the wheel wells (behind the rear interior panels, you can get your hands in there, hopefully it isn't wet), and spare tire well. The other spot of worry I have with these cars is the belt line trim. On the early cars, this is made from a metal-backed material. Often, they rusted from the rear, from people who wash their car, but don't blow the water out from behind the trim. I think in a lot of cases, the seal that was likely on the trim at the top and bottom edges has eroded to nothing by now, allowing water to get in there and just sit and eat. The other panel that's likely rusted is the wiper cowl cover panel. Be careful with the screws on that one...

The only other thing I would say to look for in this car, is a giant sack of money. You're gonna need it. Welcome to the forum, and if you do decide to tackle this project, please keep us updated on your work. It would be pretty great to see such a far gone car be restored to glory.

·
...pop the hood!
1,113 Posts
The model is: MA70L-BLMVFA
and the C/TR/A/TM is: 27AFD42G284W58. <-- not sure about the '5'
the "5" is part of the transmission designation which is the w58. that is the 5 speed manual... which imho is another positive. also noticed it had the 7mge which is the non-turbo motor.

@te72 has a lot of valid points in his post...a lot of wisdom. you really got to love this car to want to restore it and spend that kind of time and money.

you could find some really nice examples out there for sale for a lot less. if you think you can get it cheap and do a little work just to flip it... you will not make any money.

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
Cars in genuinely excellent or better original condition, or in excellent+ condition with tasteful modifications are all commanding big money these days.

This is NOT one of those cars. I'd consider a fair value to be $1000-$1500 USD assuming there isn't any restoration-preventing rust in the suspension or subframes or floorpans etc.

I'd focus on getting it mechanically sorted out and cleaned up first before embarking on the paint/interior portion of the restoration. My homie Brad (te72) isn't far off on the total restoration price if one was looking for a concours-style white glove restoration with a lot of labor farmed out to shops.
But I believe you can have this car's powertrain sorted out out and basically 100% refreshed for around $2500-3k if you're doing the labor yourself, and the 7M-GE can be rebuilt, and the W58 5-spd trans doesn't have any problems.

Given the not-super-desirable color combo, I'd repaint it whatever you wanted and focus on getting an interior together in another color, or just dye interior pieces to match a desired color.

A cool opportunity and it'd be a fun build. Kinda wish I could find a straightforward 7M-GE 5spd car like that to just make a nice runner, and avoid the 'MODIFY EVERYTHING!!!!' bug. :) 🍺

·
Registered
548 Posts
Wow, some wide divergence on the price. I will also be brutally honest. That car is beyond fried from sitting in the sun and even things like the horn button and some other things are the kind of thing you'd see with a car sitting in the desert for 20 years. I'm pretty good at restoring cars at home and I wouldn't touch it unless they gave it to me.

It's sitting on the ground and looks to have not moved for decades. So every single fastener on the bottom probably has a beard of rust. Brakes, shocks, exhaust, control arms, fuel filter - everything you try to renew will be a broken off bolt or nut and take 5X as long. The interior has been over 100 degrees for perhaps 500 hours each year, meaning the power window motors, the lock actuators, the dash switches, etc will be dried in place and again every screw you try to loosen will snap plastic off, etc. Even the foam in the seats is going to crumble and sag with a little sitting now.

Then you're going to find the reason a nice sporty coupe was parked out in a field. The head gasket probably blew and it's been sitting there with coolant in the cylinders and the block's toast.

I would say that you should forget about the cosmetics and just see if it will run, then decide what to do. But sitting in a field like that for so long, I would only pay $500 for it and again - I'm a sucker for orphans like this. If it were down the street from me, Id consider it a parts car and just wrap a tarp around it for later use. Once it runs, you'll have to write some horrendous checks to make it look nice enough to correspond with your then active pride of ownership.

I'll look at a running car with bad external cosmetics and a nice interior. I'll look at one with a non running engine and a nice interior and OK cosmetics. But a non runner weathered so badly the interior and exterior are also toast is a triumvirate I won't try to tackle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well .. I get it ,, but remember it’s a project.., and it’s an old car . What do you expect,
I’m sure a lot of the Supra owners didn’t expect to invest all there life savings on a car. and they did ..
I’m on $15k invest on my mk3 .. and my car still not ready.

·
Registered
548 Posts
My informal rule of thumb is not to pay more than a few hundred bucks for a nonrunning car. That might be a nonrunner with a nice interior and an exterior dent. When the entire interior is shot, especially the dash as a major deterrent, it becomes so far from a driver, the money just to drive it is frightful. Let alone adding the money to improve the cosmetics to where you'd be proud to have it in the driveway, or take your wife for a drive in it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. For as much as I want it, I am going to pass on this one. I'll keep rebuilding bikes for now, as they take a lot less space until the right car comes along.

·
Registered
548 Posts
PM'd you. And as reluctant as I am to see a car move beyond restoration condition into a basket case/parts car, I agree that's where this one is.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. For as much as I want it, I am going to pass on this one. I'll keep rebuilding bikes for now, as they take a lot less space until the right car comes along.
I think you made the right call. My opinion on the best price would have been "as close to 'free' as possible, but I wouldn't want it even for nothing."

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
A cool opportunity and it'd be a fun build. Kinda wish I could find a straightforward 7M-GE 5spd car like that to just make a nice runner, and avoid the 'MODIFY EVERYTHING!!!!' bug. :) 🍺
Let's be honest with ourselves here Jeff... we're just not those people who can do that. :p

Much as it's a bummer to pass on a car, it was a good call here. Even someone really experienced with these cars would have a lot of trouble with getting this one back to a good place. I admire your courage though! If we don't see ya again, thanks for stopping by! :)

@IdahoDoug You know Doug, I feel like I learn something with every post you make like this. Thanks for sharing your thought process and years of wisdom.

Reactions: Wreckless

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Much as it's a bummer to pass on a car, it was a good call here. Even someone really experienced with these cars would have a lot of trouble with getting this one back to a good place. I admire your courage though! If we don't see ya again, thanks for stopping by! :)
Thanks. As much as I want to do it, and do enjoy the challenge, the timing in this case just isn't right. Just bought a house last month, and start a new job today. Plenty of stuff to do around the house already to actually settle into it, and I really do already have a few projects in the garage.

Good forums, tons of knowledge, and I do hope to be back in here someday to restore a survivor.

Thanks again!

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,640 Posts
te7z: Thanks, kindly and I feel the same about your input and perspective. I'm really enjoying this forum of late.
I've been noticing it too. The old guard peeking through little by little, and then there's an uptick in new owners or new builds.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,640 Posts
Maybe, there's been a slight up tick in good conditioned cars, but that doesn't mean just because it's going up you should not drive the car. You can't take your cars or money with you when this page turns. :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Maybe, there's been a slight up tick in good conditioned cars, but that doesn't mean just because it's going up you should not drive the car. You can't take your cars or money with you when this page turns. :)
shoot i know ! when i get my black one back i am driving it ..leaving it stock and driving it

21 - 40 of 41 Posts