Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's time for me to replace my battery (it can't keep a steady charge) so...

i was wondering if there are any benefits to switching batteries. people who do switch batteries seem to be going with the red or orange top batteries.

any comments, advice, specs on the type of batteries you guys use?

thanks.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
i went with the yellow top battery optima ...its a deep cycle battry meant to be charged and discharged many times unlike the red top!

read about the yellow top click here

·
3,148 Posts
I just ordered a new battery. It isn't the strongest, but it has a 2 year total replacement warranty and it only weighs 13.5 pounds. I will list the brand and part # later. BTW it was only $99.

Later, Steve

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
If you pull a search you'll find tons of posts about this. Especially from Ranger ;)

I've got an orange top on its way to me right now. The orange top model has the reverse terminals to fit the supra. I found there are currently two models that fit. The 800SR which is the previous model (750CCA) and the replacement for the 800SR which is the 34R-1050 (800CCA). Including shipping I found the 800R for $127.50 and the 34R-1050 for $135.95. I figured for 8 bucks I'd go with the new model. Here are the links I found:

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/
http://www.batteryweb.com/optima.cfm

·
3,148 Posts
It's an Odyssey PC680. Here are the specs

V RC 5 Sec CA CCA L W H Lbs
12 28 680 280 7.3 3.2 6.7 15 (the 13.5 pounds was another for another battery)

The link is www.batteryweb.com/odyssey.cfm

Later, Steve

·
Registered
95 Posts
RanGer498 have you had any alternator problems from the yellow top, my voltage regulator went up in mine. I've 2 yellow tops since I've owned the car, one lost to a shop running my radio without the car running.

Thanks

·
10,459 Posts
i had to raise my idel some at first ....but other than than no problems at all ive had mine for over 8 months !
BrianTT said:
RanGer498 have you had any alternator problems from the yellow top, my voltage regulator went up in mine. I've 2 yellow tops since I've owned the car, one lost to a shop running my radio without the car running.

Thanks

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
I have the blue top and love it, but how did you raise your idle ranger? Thanks!

Adam

·
10,459 Posts
not sure if at the time it was the right way to do it but i did it adjusting this !(see pic)

Adrocktt said:
I have the blue top and love it, but how did you raise your idle ranger? Thanks!

Adam

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
Guys, I got the orange top battery in and its a little too short to mate with the stock battery tie down. Did you guys fab up a new strap or did you raise the batteries position to meet the stock strap?

PS--It turns out that Johnson Controls bought out Optima. They are rating the batteries a little more conservatively so in my previous post when I stated that the CCA was increased, it is now listed as the same as the 800SR. When I told 1st Optima Batteries about the discrepenacy the immmediately refunded the price difference to the lowest competitor. That's great customer service and I recommend them highly (not to mention the got the battery to me in three days via UPS ground, NE-->GA).

·
Registered
532 Posts
i have an orange top, i know what your talkin about the battery being too short or whatever. when i bought the car the previous owner had put some carboard box under the battery to give it a lift so that it doesnt sit too low. later

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am pretty shure Optima has a spacer to bring the battery up to the right height. I heard this a while back when you order the battery they throw it in for free. Don't know how you would go about ordering it seperately.

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
Spacer exists, fits all the optimas, as far as I know. I have seen it in person.

Adam

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
The plastic spacer I got wasn't worth a crap. I used 2 pieces of 5/8" wood. With both pieces under the battery my aftermarket terminals touched the hood liner. Now I've got one piece under the battery and one piece under the hold down. You just need to water proof the wood with paint and it works great. There is a pic on my web site when I had both pieces of wood under it.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
Okay, I just talked to Optima and they're sending the spacer out ($4 plus $2 shipping). I'll give it a try and if it doesn't do the job I'll fab something up. Thanks for the advice folks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts