Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for awhile now and have had a few of my questions answered. Can I use a blue top? I had never heard of that until this morning while searching. What is the best and the worst of optima batteries. I have a 94 mkiv btw. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have the red top....ive heard a bunch of people say they've had bad experiences with it, but still a lot run the red top. I let my car sit for weeks, sometimes even months at a time, and it starts right up

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i3oca said:
I have the red top....ive heard a bunch of people say they've had bad experiences with it, but still a lot run the red top. I let my car sit for weeks, sometimes even months at a time, and it starts right up
not connected to the car...

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
You could always paint a red top or yellow to match what you have ;)

Blue tops are more for marine applications I believe

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Red top, yellow top, black & blue top....all these Optima batteries are overpriced, overweight, and not reliable. Stick to your standard Sears or Interstate battery if you want maximum cranking power and longevity (and at a good price). Otherwise if you want a sealed battery, try a Hawker Odyssey and chose the CCA rating and weight that is most appropriate for your application.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
In the end, it doesn't matter one bit whose battery you buy. If you don't fix the I-draws or at least disconnect the thing if it's going to sit for more than a week, it will turn to junk.

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,088 Posts
MtFujiSupra said:
In the end, it doesn't matter one bit whose battery you buy. If you don't fix the I-draws or at least disconnect the thing if it's going to sit for more than a week, it will turn to junk.
Yea, I second that. Had to gel cell batteries everytime I let it sit it would drain and not be able to hold a charge afterwards. But lucky me each time the store warrantied it out for me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
UNRELIABLE POS'S!!!! I've had 3 of them over the years, and each one was equally as much a POS as the one before it. Never again!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I must have had a good one and been lucky....::knock on wood::

And no, I never disconnect mine from the car....too lazy to do that, i always keep it connected and let it sit for 2-3 weeks multple times. But like everyone else has posted, many have had bad luck.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i3oca said:
I must have had a good one and been lucky....::knock on wood::

And no, I never disconnect mine from the car....too lazy to do that, i always keep it connected and let it sit for 2-3 weeks multple times. But like everyone else has posted, many have had bad luck.
You know, you should measure your current draw and post this in the sticky thread. Also, include your upgrades like audio, controllers, etc. and the make of battery. Your case is rare indeed!

·
NSW supra club Member
475 Posts
I have the blue top, but since i dont drive it often at all, i have it pluged on a "charge and maintain" battery charger(wich is pluged on a wall, and the lead extends and goes to teh battery plug, that comes from teh blue top), It starts charging only when it needs to ect...

Also note, on this particular model, i had to buy a new negative terminal, as my original wasnt long enough, no big deal there, its cause the battery posts on the blue top is on the opposite side then the oem battery.
the positive side had enough lengh to reach.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can one of you guys with the blue top get me a part number or something so i can know which one to order??? Thanks alot. I just want to see how much they are, and depending, i will probably try one.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
house_of_senate said:
Can one of you guys with the blue top get me a part number or something so i can know which one to order??? Thanks alot. I just want to see how much they are, and depending, i will probably try one.
Red top suck
yellow are better than red (not stating much there)
blue are for marine use but will work in cars

here this might help you with what you need
http://www.optimabatteries.com/publ...nfig/product_info/marine/technical_specs.html

also interstate owns optima
http://www.ibsa.com/www_2001/content/products/product_optmain.asp

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
MtFujiSupra said:
You know, you should measure your current draw and post this in the sticky thread. Also, include your upgrades like audio, controllers, etc. and the make of battery. Your case is rare indeed!

I will do that later today....didnt realize so many people had problems with this....anyways, ill let you know

my electrical mods so far (im including anything that draws electricity).....stock stereo, HIDs, stock altenator, aem, boost/egt/fuel pressure gauges, greddy profec b boost controller, greddy turbo timer, upgraded fuel system, hks dli, and thats all i can think of right now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts