Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get one to reloocate to the hatch area. Seen 'em at Autozone... I think the yellow-top was about $129 plus core.

Any other sources that someone can tell me would be less expensive? I hate finding out that I coulda got it for ~$20 less, just down the street.

Also, I have a nearly new (6 months) old Duralast 72 month battery for the MKIII, that I would hate to return as a core. Cost near $50, but would rather give it to someone else if it helps 'em out. This would be the one I'd be replacing w/the Optima.

Lemme know,
E

·
Registered
168 Posts
most autosound shop carry optima battery. don't know the price though and you don't need to exchange core. dallas area i know i seen them at earmark and i bought mine from autosound and security

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have been looking for one of these as well, I hear costco has them pretty cheap if you have the membership or know of someone.

·
Registered
168 Posts
to be honest the optima is just hype. i owned all kind of optima from red all the way to blue they only last 6 months really. if you take your car for some kinda of work and it sits for months the optima is dead. i change car audio pretty often and everytime i have to get a new optima battery. cause it won't hold charge anymore

·
Registered
168 Posts
i actually have 2 gell cell battery in the supra. one optima for the engine start and one lightning audio for the stereo. to my suprise the lightning audio still holds charge when the optima doesn't. i've went through 3 optima red, yellow, blue, and now back to red and still the same lightning audio battery. the supra has been down for almost 7 months now i hope i don't have to replace the optima again.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...To be honest, it's just what was suggested to me. Something about Texas, but most places out here dump on "maintenance free" batteries. My thoughts are that any sealed, maintenance-free battery is as good as the next.

Basically, just wanna relocate the battery to the hatch area... I already have a decent battery, but it's not sealed. What would ya'll suggest?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
the stock battery from a Miata would be good, it's also sealed

I love my red top optima though, offroaders swear by em...

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
Poodles said:
the stock battery from a Miata would be good, it's also sealed

I love my red top optima though, offroaders swear by em...
um, IIRC those are nowhere near the AMPS you need for a supra

anyone know a good battery then that is seal sides the opt? i just got a new one but when the free replacement warranty goes im gonna relocate it too

<l><l>

·
Registered
408 Posts
haha...i am glad to see i might of sparked some interest in battery relocation! did you guys see my thread a week ago or so? i am still debating doing it. my only hesitation is that my mkii has a low voltage alt as compared to a mkiii and mkiv. i dont realy want to spend 200 for a better alt either.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
lol actually its after dan (supramkiii) did his and i saw it, he has a writeup in the mk3 section somwhere

<l><l>

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
... actually, getting ready for another 2J thang and am tired of Fing around, trying to keep everything in stock location. Relocating the battery will make the IC piping and overflow movement/install easier.

Spent extra $$ before for the FFIM, so that I would not have to relocate the battery, but just tired of trying to modify everything else. Moving the battery saves me time/energy in trying to yet make something else fit where it shouldn't ;-)

Anyone local wanna come out to Christian's and swap some engines tomorrow? Maybe run some relocation wire ;-)

·
SP74HO
1,143 Posts
Satan said:
Looking to get one to reloocate to the hatch area. Seen 'em at Autozone... I think the yellow-top was about $129 plus core.

Any other sources that someone can tell me would be less expensive? I hate finding out that I coulda got it for ~$20 less, just down the street.

Also, I have a nearly new (6 months) old Duralast 72 month battery for the MKIII, that I would hate to return as a core. Cost near $50, but would rather give it to someone else if it helps 'em out. This would be the one I'd be replacing w/the Optima.

Lemme know,
E

I had a brand new red top for sale at the TX2K6 show. Was asking $100, but would have taken $75 for it. NOBODY was intrested!

Dave

·
RIP 86.5 N/A, Hello 90T
2,293 Posts
Dave thats mine now punk don't start going behind my back HEHE :)

BTW Satan, you can goto Autozone and tell them you would like to return the Duralast and UPGRADE to the optima, Autozone will give you the face value of your Duralast (whatever is left on the warrenty full face value if its within 2 years (duralast's free replacement period))

Might be somehting to think about

~Dan

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kewl... I'll try that!! Yeah, I had no interest in relocating, 'til now. Just seems I'm always trying to make something fit/work, just because of the battery. So instead of working so hard to customize everything else... gonna move that Fing battery.

·
Project Mayhem!!!
789 Posts
SupraMkiii24 said:
Dave thats mine now punk don't start going behind my back HEHE :)

BTW Satan, you can goto Autozone and tell them you would like to return the Duralast and UPGRADE to the optima, Autozone will give you the face value of your Duralast (whatever is left on the warrenty full face value if its within 2 years (duralast's free replacement period))

Might be somehting to think about

~Dan

If that doesn`t work, find an Interstate Battery store (there a re a few here in Houston). They`re an Optima dealer. I got mine through them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts