Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's up guys,

i just put in my optima battery (orange top) but I have a few issues with it... First of all, there was a plastic shroud that covered my old battery that makes it difficult to attach the battery clamps to the terminals. Do you guys just take out that shroud or do you keep it in? Also, because the battery is a little shorter you need a spacer of some sort to utilize the battery tie down. I was wondering to all those who have the spacer that optima sells (I believe it's 1 inch thick) does it provide enough clearance that the hood will close all the way? Thanks again guys.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Why not just set it down on top of a 1" thick piece of styrofoam?

Currently I am not using my battery tie down at all.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hua,

So you just set the battery down on a piece of styrofoam? How do you keep the battery from moving then? The housing for the battery is a little too big for the optima batteries so the battery would move up, down, sideways slightly... Thanks...

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
I just got the spacer the day before yesterday. It fits fine and lifts the battery into the stock position so you can use the stock tie down. When I brought this up last someone said they had the spacer and it didn't help, but mine fit perfectly. The pain in the ass is that the spacer only comes in yellow or red, no orange (but you can barely see it down there. It was only $4 + $2 shipping from Optima directly. I'd rather drop $6 and have the piece of mind that the battery is staying in place then relying on a piece of styrofoam.

I'm not using the stock plastic that goes around the battery.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
Optima contact info

Toll Free: 888-8OPTIMA (888-867-8462)
Phone: 303-340-7440
Fax: 303-340-7474

That's for optima directly. I'm sure you can get it through most dealers but mine didn't have one in stock so I called them.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ubermensch,

thanks a lot for the info... i'm going to order the part right away.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Here is a pic of the spacer I was given. Didn't give the necessary height and the feet under it bent after I put it in. Maybe this isn't the optima spacer but a generic one they pawned off. As you can see, it's black, not yellow or red. If anyone has a pic of the yellow or red please post. I had to make up my own spacer out of wood because the one I got sucked.

·
4,417 Posts
I have a nice wide zip-tie holding mine in place.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
supra400hptt said:
Here is a pic of the spacer I was given. Didn't give the necessary height and the feet under it bent after I put it in. Maybe this isn't the optima spacer but a generic one they pawned off. As you can see, it's black, not yellow or red. If anyone has a pic of the yellow or red please post. I had to make up my own spacer out of wood because the one I got sucked.
That is definitely not the Optima spacer I got. I'll take a picture tonight. Mine is flat bottomed, the battery rests on a rectangular surface and little plastic clips fit onto the battery to hold it in place.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just ordered the spacer!

Believe it or not, I was using a piece of particle board for the spacer until I found a better solution. It'll be nice to not have a rig job on a $35k car! Thanks for the help.

Rich

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If you need one of these...get it now. There is NO charge for them anymore. They are sending me out one right now as we speak...for FREE!!!!!!

Forget the "particle board" or "wood" spacers..this is the same thing and free...did I mention its FREE!?!?!?!?!?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts