Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
boost'en down 101
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone so I'm in the market for a new clutch. Car has an r154 with an os giken twin disk that's at the end of it's life. I've liked this clutch for everything besides drag racing. Seems like any time it gets much heat it slips. I've had this clutch since 2015 so have got some good use out of it but it's always had this problem. Today I literally couldn't make one pass without it slipping so I think it's done for good at the drag strip. The annoying thing is after I drive around some it will come back to life and haul ass.

From what I've heard carbon clutches like heat and grab more as they get hotter? I'm thinking a carbon clutch will fix this. Sadly there aren't many options from what I've seen. Has anyone run a orc carbon clutch before?

As far as horse power I'm running a s369 at 30psi not sure how much it's making but when the clutch isn't slipping it sure moves!

or would something like this be better? The orc is rated strangely low......

·
Tree Hugger
807 Posts
From watching japanese drifters in comp/youtube/streaming it seems a lot prefer ogura,

These stock pull styles seem nice, but reviews say they're a little on/off with the clutch pedal.

ORC 1000F Triple Plate Metal Clutch Kit Pull Type - JZX90 JZX100 JZX110 JZZ30 JZA70 - RHDJapan un-sprung rated at 722 ft lbs torque/980 hp (I've heard these are modest ratings)

ORC 659D Twin Plate Metal Clutch Kit Pull Type - JZX90 JZX100 JZX110 JZZ30 JZA70 - RHDJapan sprung rated at 542 ft lbs 640 hp

Or you can convert to push for smoother engagement/pedal feel. Have you thought about just having your setup overhauled? I feel like in that 800+ territory you should be looking at that triple

·
boost'en down 101
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I actually already have the conversion kit to make it a push type clutch. After thinking about it some I'm going to see how much/available an overhaul kit is. Then depending I might just do that to get my car going for the summer then possibly a t56 swap in winter. Have a feeling anything I order from rhdjapan.com is going to take forever really don't want my car to sit all summer.

As far as the orc I there's a lot I like about them from just what I see. The r154 is a NIGHTMARE to take out with the os giken clutch. It's designed to unbolt the pressure plate then drop trans. Trying to wedge it in there then align it with the splines like you do with push type clutches isn't easy. Then if you look at the plates they are a lot thicker so they take more heat and won't warp as easy as the os giken. I do find it strange for a twin carbon to be rated at a measly 440ftlbs though. You'd think it would be twice that.

Not to trash os giken the clutch is great for everything besides drag racing. It's pretty quite, doesn't chatter, holds a lot hp, shifts great, so there are some plus's about them!

·
Tree Hugger
807 Posts
And if the os giken handles street driving with a 369 @ 30 psi then yeah thats quite the clutch for many folks. I definitely have heard from a top japanese nissan shop that the ogura's are rated low, because they're rated assuming you're going to abuse the holy heck out of them on a drift circuit. By the way is your push type the manual conversion or a hydraulic throwout? I also have an R154 and looking for a clutch that can hold a 362 sx-e @ 20-30 psi.

·
boost'en down 101
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And if the os giken handles street driving with a 369 @ 30 psi then yeah thats quite the clutch for many folks. I definitely have heard from a top japanese nissan shop that the ogura's are rated low, because they're rated assuming you're going to abuse the holy heck out of them on a drift circuit. By the way is your push type the manual conversion or a hydraulic throwout? I also have an R154 and looking for a clutch that can hold a 362 sx-e @ 20-30 psi.
Yeah like I said basically for anything besides hard drag racing the os giken is great. It'll hold a lot of power for road course or just hw pulls that's for sure. I've made 100's of pass on it too I think the disk are just done. That said even when new you have to keep heat in mind. If you hot lap or slip it wrong it's done till you drive it some to remove the glaze. I have the os giken movement alteration kit it's mechanical and never given me a problem. Pedal feel isn't too heavy really easy to drive around town. For your s362 it depends what your plans are for the car. Seems like even some singles for the r154 can hold a good amount of power if you don't plan to drag race much. Only problem with some of them you have to watch the pressure plate clamping force. It can lead to crank walk. Bypassing the clutch safety switch helps some by they're still going to be clunky/grabby, hard on drive train, ect. Another reason why multi plate clutches are better. I recall alec having a single hold up really well I want to say it was a clutch masters but if you search for his threads hey says somewhere what one he has.

I ordered from them a couple of weeks ago and the shipment was dispatched within a couple of days
Yeah I emailed them and they said there shipping to the states no problem!

So ended up going with a rebuild kit for my clutch around $800 shipped. Got the one with the the pressure plate too so will resurface the flywheel and have basically a new clutch. I didn't want to roll the dice on the carbon because it's rated so low. The ts2cd I have is rated at 750ftlbs. The disks are also sprung which I know is a lot easier on the trans and since I'm up there with what a r154 can take I think it's the best move. I've made some pretty fast passes with the clutch too you just can't hot lap can't wait to see what the s369 will trap!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts