Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious to know if there's anything for amature racing rather than drag racing. Who here races their supra at auto cross events or road course events? Care to give me some heads up? Thanks.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Come to Pocono on this Friday April 22. I'll be running mine.

Later in the year, I'll also be at other events at Pocono and Watkins Glen. I'll look for my links of all the local events and put them up here. I thought they are already posted here, maybe in the RoadRace section here, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I've never run with this group but some say it's OK: http://www.comscc.org/

This is a good relatively new forum, don't use the "D" word there (drags) and it has a NorthEast section; a few people here at SF (national not NE) also post there: http://www.exitspeed.org/

When this place opens soon, it should be awesome: http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/html/track_layout.html

I've run at events run by this group, pretty good and the forum has a NE section: http://www.nasaforums.com/

PDA is running the event at Pocono on Friday; I've run with these guys a few times over the last several years, pretty good, this is their site and schedule, no forum yet: http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/schedules/

I've not run with EMRA, but they've been around for quite a while: http://www.emraracing.org/

Also look up the local SCCA in your area, they are usually very active at autocross and road course events.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thunderbolt Raceway looks like a lot of fun...is anyone going to the PDA event in July (16th and 17th I think)?

I'm looking to do a DE event for beginners. Anyone else want to try it out?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hey Nick,

Does Ben still come out to the Pocono events? He's been MIA for a while now.

Hopefully I'll be able to join you at one of the events this summer.
-Brian.

·
BLWRDR
563 Posts
im away but def will be lookin into it as soon as I get back, or as soon as my car gets back too.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
e-town hasnt open there road course yet but keep an eye out for it soon. should be a lil different than most other courses for those raceing on the same ol tracks in the tri state area.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Hi Brian, I hope you can make it out to one of these events, maybe even try it out. All the DE events by PDA, NASA, etc start you out in the beginner's group so you learn at your own pace with their guidance. Even if you don't go beyond that, most people who try it have a great time and find it to be a valuable lesson in handling your car beyond the limits of what you can sanely/legally do on the street. I stay in touch with Ben, but he's been very busy working on new home plans and his business. I know for sure he's not coming on Apr22, but said he'd try later in the year.

I'd like to look into the etown setup first hand so I can see for myself, but a couple people I know who have seen it or been on it said it is a glorified gokart track and not up to the track standards of other local road courses. It would be nice if that's wrong and it's better than that.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, Nick. How can I prepare for a track day and how much am I looking at? Obviously, I have no road course experience at all.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Brian,
to prepare your car, check this tech inspection form: http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/registration/VehicleTechInspSheet.pdf

With no experience, I would recommend just showing up with your normally well maintained street car as is. If your car passes normal safety inspection, it will pass the tech inspection. Actually, you can have your car tech inspected by your own mechanic at homne if he signs off on their form, or they will look over your car at the track if not already inspected, it only takes a few mintues. Make sure your brakes are working properly, but you won't need more than stock brakes.

Cost is not insignificant for most people. One track day at a typical HPDE event runs between $220 to $250 per day. For example, check the PDA link I posted above and they show the cost. You will be on the track for four sessions, if not too busy maybe five; about 1/2hr or so per session. In the beginner's group, you will form a line of cars and follow an instructor driving a lead car who will take a few laps showing you the line and you will get a feel for the track as the group speeds up a little, but nothing too challenging for the average person. Then you "leap frog" with each car taking a turn for a lap being right behind the instructor car as the instructor speeds it up a little but keeps you not far back so he can see that you're following him. Then you drop aside and let the next car follow him as you drop to the rear of the group. You do this a few times each session. In almost all cases, you can have, or actually it is recommended that you have, an instructor in your passenger seat who is giving you specific advice about the line you are driving, your braking, shifting, whatever. By the time you're done with a day of this, you'll know a hell of a lot more than when you started.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nick, I think you have me confused with MoogieBoogie.:) He's Brian, I'm Ducky. I'd love to make it out to Poconos one day and give it a shot, but that can't be untill mid May.

For all the other amature guys, lets try to get something together and head out to a track one day. You guys up for it? Price doesn't seem so bad either.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Ducky ...who used to be Dukki... ;) as I'm sure you remember, I've confused you with Brian a couple times in the past. See, that's another reason to meet up and put faces to names. I hope that doesn't confuse me even more.

What about the idea of a meet at Pocono later this summer? Not everybody even has to track their car. Some can watch and cheer, walk around the pits looking at some nice cars, take pictures, make burgers on the grill, have a nice picnic. It's not too far for the North Jersey crew, not too bad for Central Jersey, from my house 15min west of downtown Philly it's only 1-1/2 hrs door to door. If you only spectate, you just drive in and it's all free and you can walk around the pits unrestricted as long as you don't mess with the cars or get in the way too much.

PS: no concerns about leaving your Supras in a remote parking lot either; all cars can drive right into the pit area and park in any open areas that are allowed, usually a few steps from where you'll picnic. I think the place would freak out if a dozen Supras showed up :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
You guys want to set something up for the July PDA event at the Poconos? It's plenty of time in advance notice. I'll go for sure, as long as my car is up and running :)

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
That's Saturday July 16 or Sunday July 17. Unless my car is unexpectedly down for some strange reason which it's usually not, I'm up for either one but not both. It's the North Course that day.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The North Course seems to be more straightaway's and *possibly* better for beginners?? The East Course looks more technical and looks to be more for advance drivers. Dukki, you think you'll have your car ready by then??

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
You're right, the East Course is tighter, twistier, more technical; as you probably can see, you won't hit as high a speed on the longest East C. straight as on the North C. straight. I really like the East C. though, I seem to be able to get my rythym on it pretty good ...or at least good for me. There's one reverse camber left turn after the inside straight that is on my list to learn better. Even though I was going pretty good that day, I spun there last year so I'm going to concentrate on what to do better there tomorrow. Maybe it was just because I was chasing somebody pretty hard and was late braking, trail braking, then a not very smooth downshift upset my car, off I went :)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, TurboXpress. I'm definitely willing to go. I'll mark down july 16/17 for that. We should get more members to go together with this. Can someone give me more in depth info about what safety equipments I need? All I have is a motorcycle helmet that is DOT and SNELL approved. Anything else I need?

Another concern...my car is BPU+ right now. with a 4 row with stock radiator with stock thermostat. I've heard about people overheating with 4 rows on the road course. What can I do to prevent it? I just bled my brakes with motul dot 4. I have about 6,700 miles on my stock pads and rotors. Also, I just rebuilt my calipers and flushed my coolant. Can any one suggest a coolant to distilled water ratio for running at the track and driving my car on the streets? I'm also using redline water wetter.

Thanks.:)

Nick, I hope to see you at the track and hopefully Brian will come along as well.

R

·
0 Posts
re:

Nick,
So how was the Pocono track day? Sorry I couldn't make it, but maybe next time.

Dave

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Hey Dave. Congrats Mr. New Dad!!! Send my best wishes to mom and baby Andrew.

I shot you a long winded email about the track day and don't want to post it to bore everybody. It was a huge blast of fun as usual, you know that, Dave.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts