Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im in need of some advice about the clearcoat (i think) of my car. You only see the cracks in sunlight and it looks to be in the clearcoat. I have tried wax but it doesnt really help. However, if i take some baby oil or finger oil and rub in one tiny spot it will go away for a few days. Does anyone have any suggestions besides a re-paint because its in perfect shape other than this. Thanks and here are some pics.

·
Registered
250 Posts
kilobit said:
Hello, im in need of some advice about the clearcoat (i think) of my car. You only see the cracks in sunlight and it looks to be in the clearcoat. I have tried wax but it doesnt really help. However, if i take some baby oil or finger oil and rub in one tiny spot it will go away for a few days. Does anyone have any suggestions besides a re-paint because its in perfect shape other than this. Thanks and here are some pics.

Those are sanding scratches. Somebody used something too abrasive on that part of the paint...it's ruined beyond repair.

Who did that to your car?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, no its not. The paint is as slick as glass with absolutely no abrasions. This is kindof eye trickery because its underneath the clear coat. Like i said you cannot tell it at all unless your are in direct sunlight and looking close at the paint. My camera really magnified it hehe. Here are pics of the car if you want to look.
http://www.42l.com/gallery/supra?page=1

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
craiglieberman said:
Those are sanding scratches. Somebody used something too abrasive on that part of the paint...it's ruined beyond repair.

Who did that to your car?
LOL, theese are not sanding scratches, the base/clearcoat that was applied to your wing is NOT original , but rather cheap junk that was mixed improperly, most likely with lacquer thinner,basically the clearcoat is very brittle,the only remedy in this situation is to strip that junk off and repaint,trust me, I've seen it all , this can not be fixed with wax or oil

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well, your thread said "cracking," your pictures seem to show sanding scratches. The other pictures you have show no cracking....so which is it? Is the paint cracking? Or are there sanding scratches behind the clear coat?

Having worked for Meguiar's I can tell you that in either case, it's repainting time.

Your next course of action should be:
Have a professional detailer try to wet sand the scratches out (again, if it's truly cracked, none of this will work)
Followed by polishing, then a Gold Class wax (rich with oils to help hide imperfections).

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
Craig, the problem seen in the pictures called "checking",it's not sanding scratches,in other words the clearcoat is breaking down and falling apart

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the car has never been repainted. You cant notice it if i pulled up next to you on a bright sunny day. You only see it at a certain angle while looking at it very close. You cant really tell it at all, and im just going to leave it for now. The worst spot is on the rear bumper and the front (fiberglass/plastic areas). I guess the paint got brittle over the years and where ever it flexes it has these. Also, ive heard that silver is the worst color for doing this. I will take a few more pics of this so you can see what im talking about. Thanks

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
It doesn't look like checking to me. I'm almost positive the OEM wings are made of fiberglass and it looks like the fiberglass is showing through from the paint fading in the sun over the years. Has the car always been parked outside? Always a coat of wax on the wing?

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
I can bet it's the clearcoat cracking, and fiberglass would never show trough when the clear is still there, and nothing has been weathered besides the clear is starting to crack,bottom line is someone used wrong solvent in the clear or just straight up cheap shit

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I've seen this before also....at first (when I saw this thread) I thought it was sand scratches also, but remembered noticing older metallic cars doing this. (I think the light metallic colors simply make it that more obvious to visualize this).

But I was thinking it was the base giving up. But if THE COLOR (NOT the CLEAR) still looks pretty and smooth, then yeah, it's more likley the clear giving up/failing. Because if the base was failing and cracking, then that would affect the way the color looks.....meaning, it most likely wouldn't look nice at other times of the day....it would look like crap no matter what time of day or light angle.

Oh, I if I remember correctly, this will happen to bumpers first (and I suppose fiberglass too - which the wing is made of, along with the door handles and mirrors). For some reason, paint on metal seems to last a little longer.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
exvelocity said:
I can bet it's the clearcoat cracking, and fiberglass would never show trough when the clear is still there, and nothing has been weathered besides the clear is starting to crack,bottom line is someone used wrong solvent in the clear or just straight up cheap shit
I would have said clear coat cracking, but is there any truth to the fact that the car came without a clearcoat? Can anyone confirm that the OEM rear wing is fiberglass?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Door handles, mirrors and wing are fiberglass. This is a hard core fact, not opinion :D I'm 190000000.00% positive.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
Sean, door handles are actually some sort of pot metal or alloy not fiberglass, lis2k,the OEMwings are infact fiberglass, if you'd like me to prove it, I will snap a pic of a broken wing and post it here if you like

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol no wars here please! It shouldnt matter if it is or isnt fiberglass, the fact is i can apply some armour all on it and you will not see it again for a week. There has to be some kind of temp fix that i can do to make it look nice :p thanks

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
exvelocity said:
Sean, door handles are actually some sort of pot metal or alloy not fiberglass, lis2k,the OEMwings are infact fiberglass, if you'd like me to prove it, I will snap a pic of a broken wing and post it here if you like
Only if you post a video of you breaking the wing, lol. I thought the side view mirrors were ABS plastic?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
exvelocity said:
I dont even know what pot metal is :D I just know that when I sanded them in the past, they file down. I've taken advantage of this by filing down the mold seams on the mirrors and door handles on the ones I've painted....they look better, plus when you buff them they don't get burnt along the seams :cool:
By the way, I've seen the door handles snap in half in a wreck.....dont remember what the inside looked like...i just knew it wasn't metal (like fender or hood metal).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts