Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just imported a JZA70 TwinTurbo R from Japan and will be needing to have the BC out of province inspection done soon. I am just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on what exactly they look for, and what I can do to make sure I only have to put it through this inspection once. Do I need daytime running lights? Any input is appreciated, thanks.

I'll post pics later.

·
Local Tire Destroyer
1,008 Posts
Just make sure it's all good and everything works.

It helps too, to tak it to somewhere you know, or somewhere small (think Enderby etc.) where they are more interested in the car than trying to nickel and dime you like Canadian Tire would.

See if you can sit in the shop with them, and ride along on the road trip. Let them give it some gas, and show them that it is way better than ever other car they passed that day.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I just called a shop here and the guy told me that Canadian Tire is the only place licensed to do the inspection for out of country vehicles. However, I called a different shop right after and they told me that they are able to do this inspection. Can someone give me the facts on this?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Canadian tire employess will break something or crash it from it being RHD.

Do not bring it there.

I am possitive there are other licensed shops.

For ontario you can log onto the ministry of transportations website and get all the info that you are looking for, but I don't know what that site is for BC.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah, yes you are right. I found a website with a list of all the licensed shops in BC. I guess the shop I talked to didn't know what they were talking about.

·
Registered
964 Posts
u need day time running headlights, if u pick the wrong shop, they are gonna make u get child anchors etc

im imported mine from the US, but passed the federal with ab reeze, since the guy didnt give a crap and just checked the VIN's

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so what is the best way to rig up daytime running lights? Should I rewire the fogs to turn on when I start the car, or is there an easier way to do it?

·
Look, Its a hat!
1,520 Posts
if you want an inspection done down here in the lower mainland, i may know few shops that are choice to have VI's done at... if you know what i mean

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've already brought the car home to Kelowna so I will have to have it inspected here. I will be importing 1 or 2 other vehicles in the not too distant future though so maybe I'll have them inspected in Van before I bring them out here. I'll get in touch with you about those 'choice' shops when the time comes.

I think I'll just do what Evan suggested and find a small shop that will let me come along for the inspection and won't try to nickel and dime me to death.

·
Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
1,596 Posts
I just went through all this with my car from Florida. What year is your car? Mine was an 87 so I was exempt from the "federal" inspection and did not need any of that daytime lights or child restraint crap. I'm not sure, but I think the cutoff for federal inspection requirements is like 90 or 91 or something. I had to pass a "provincial" inspection at a local shop and that was it. No aircare required for a year either! If you have a fax machine I can fax you a copy of the checklist of things they go through. It's mostly safety stuff, i.e. wheel bearings, brake lines, etc. I had to replace my brakelines. I also had to remove my air horns and carbon fibre hood to pass. They didn't seem to care about my aftermarket coilovers though.

·
Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
1,596 Posts
Unless you personally know someone who owns a small shop, it's not likely they will cut you alot of slack. The shop I went to said that if the province did a surprise re-inspect after my car passed and something was overlooked they could loose their licence! No shop is going to risk that to get your measly $89 inspection fee.

NOTE: "federal" inspections are now handled ONLY by Canadian Tire. No chioce.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You ask the Registrar of Imported vehicles what needs to be inspected. When I brougt in my 1994, I had to have daytime running lights, the child seat tether bolt (which I bought and showed them, but left it in my glove box) and I have to have bi-lingual safety stickers on the car..which were still on the visor when I bought the car. That was it. Although it may differ for your car..contact the Registrar to see...And yes, it was done at Canadian Tire and they didn't damage a thing..they didn't even drive the car for the inspection..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vehicles that are 15 years or older are exempt from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles program. That program is geared for vehicles that are imported from the US. There are different regulations for cars imported from the US and cars imported from countries other than the US. Japanese imports do not require the federal inspection, just the provincial one which can be done at any licensed shop.

tekdeus I would appreciate if you could fax me a copy of that checklist you mentioned. I will pm you with my fax number.

Thanks everyone for the helpful input.

Oh btw, my car is a 1990

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
I had to go through an inspection here in Alberta when I got my 91 JZA70. They checked to make sure that everything that was installed from the factory worked (Gauges, lights, etc), and that it drove well.

I was failed the first time because the previous owner had taken off the rear wiper arm :(

Do you need to get a reassigned VIN for the vehicle in BC?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts