Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My water pump start to leak so I changed the T-belt while I was at it too.

Drove from Bay Area to Reno and back on a tank of gas - 518 total miles.

I refilled at the same gas pump and everything (til it overflowed). It works out to 30.11 MPG. I went 70mph with Cruise control as much as possible. Also filled tire to 34psi since all hiway driving ok to do.

So it can be done

279 Posts
Orion ZyGarian said:
Nice...any more info? Mods, etc?
m22rockcrusher said:
Yes--i just post one here

Speedometer cable fix
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281504
You lost me -- Orion ZyGarian asked you your mods, and then you gave him a link on how you fixed your speedo cable.
What does fixing you speedo cable have to do with modding your car in a manner that will help it get better gas mileage? (which is what he was probably getting at).

Can you answer me this?
Is it turbo or an NA?
Please dont send me back to that link.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
because a lubed speedo cable has less friction, and that puts more power at the wheels. So it is a proformance mod.

·
JZA70 or go home!!
2,495 Posts
its nice to hear your hybrid suprs gets 30mpg.

279 Posts
m22rockcrusher said:
because a lubed speedo cable has less friction, and that puts more power at the wheels. So it is a proformance mod.
LOL OK
You still have not told me if it is a T or an NA.
I would have shared my best mileage with you on my Turbo...I'll tell you anyways.
26mpg, but I posted that already in two threads that asked for it, so it is no secret.
Plus you may not have a wing.
I wonder how much mpg one loses if they have a wing--probably less than 1mpg (wild guess).

·
DO WORK!!
2,275 Posts
I dunno about a performance mod but sure why not......
I can just see it now.... people all over taking there speedo cables off at the track....

I dunno man, You will have to prove it to me on a dyno or something. Otherwise The Flame gates are open.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
if your speedo isn't lubed up very well, then it will stick and not spin as fast, and so the odometer will read fewer miles than you actually went, so a 570 mile trip will become a 300 mile trip and so on. if you lube the speedo cable, then it will read accurately and you'll discover two things:

1. all supras get 30+ mpg on the freeway
2. all supras have sticking and poorly lubed speedo cables.
3. in actuality you're burning the same amount of gas, it just appears that you're not driving as great a distance so your math is wrong.

also, everyone knows that only a carbon fiber speedo cable with JDM-TYTE type-R drift speedometer lubricant will actually give you a boost to the wheels of about 15-20 hp depending on the length of the speedo cable. the w-58 has a shorter cable, so a lot of people modify their tranny to take that cable to get the maximum increase in power.

in addition, if you replace the outside of the speedo cable with LED tubing, you'll find that the LED tubes help light go through the cable more quickly and easily when you're at high speeds, thus reducing the light-coefficient of your car and giving you a boost of speed due to the decreased light resistance, not as a result of power increase. you can get similar increases in speeds by painting various parts of your car in bright, mismatched colors, especially the seats, the valve covers, and the brake calipers.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
wow.....no more crack for you..... or time to dry out or something......here i was thinkin it would have some useful insight but wow.....

Reactions: NJsupraA70

·
DO WORK!!
2,275 Posts
in addition, if you replace the outside of the speedo cable with LED tubing, you'll find that the LED tubes help light go through the cable more quickly and easily when you're at high speeds, thus reducing the light-coefficient of your car and giving you a boost of speed due to the decreased light resistance, not as a result of power increase. you can get similar increases in speeds by painting various parts of your car in bright, mismatched colors, especially the seats, the valve covers, and the brake calipers.
:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

I think it needs more Cowbell!!!

·
supra crazzzy
585 Posts
Tony Mawad said:
LOL OK
You still have not told me if it is a T or an NA.
I would have shared my best mileage with you on my Turbo...I'll tell you anyways.
26mpg, but I posted that already in two threads that asked for it, so it is no secret.
Plus you may not have a wing.
I wonder how much mpg one loses if they have a wing--probably less than 1mpg (wild guess).
I read in an article that the wing actually decreases drag, so that would increases gas milage.

·
supra crazzzy
585 Posts
it must have been the pre 89 i rember reading it in one of thoses articles that was a review of the new turbo supra in 1987 the site that has all thoses articles has disapperaed or is down used to be on geocities and was listen on Dr jonez mk3 tech site.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
wh0wants2know said:
if your speedo isn't lubed up very well, then it will stick and not spin as fast, and so the odometer will read fewer miles than you actually went, so a 570 mile trip will become a 300 mile trip and so on. if you lube the speedo cable, then it will read accurately and you'll discover two things:

1. all supras get 30+ mpg on the freeway
2. all supras have sticking and poorly lubed speedo cables.
3. in actuality you're burning the same amount of gas, it just appears that you're not driving as great a distance so your math is wrong.

also, everyone knows that only a carbon fiber speedo cable with JDM-TYTE type-R drift speedometer lubricant will actually give you a boost to the wheels of about 15-20 hp depending on the length of the speedo cable. the w-58 has a shorter cable, so a lot of people modify their tranny to take that cable to get the maximum increase in power.

someone give this man a medal

1 - 20 of 46 Posts