Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Like butter on toast...
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys... so ive been having intermitent problems with overheating. I just recently had the upper and lower rad hoses replaced, replaced the thermostat, and obviously the system was flushed at this time. Some symptoms: car will not produce heat, even when i turn it all the way up. the needle goes all the way up to the red and then SUDDENLY like within 2 or 3 seconds it'll just drop back down to less than half way. i think this may be accompanied by the electric fans i ahve installed coming on. now i would attribute the overheating to a faulty electric fan relay or something, but that doesnt explain why i get no heat. also, my coolant overflow tank is overflowing. well above the full mark, but i know there is no surplus of fluid in the system; it is filled according to specs. umm i cant think of what this could be. maybe the water pump? a combination of things? heater core and water pump? i ran the car w/ the rad cap off and coolant is definitely circulating through it, so maybe that rules out the water pump. no belt squeal nor visible damage. any conjectures, theories, or suggestions are most welcome. thanks.

-Cyrus

·
Like butter on toast...
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh also, it seems like the radiator wont draw coolant back in from the overflow tank.

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
Some of your symptoms would lead to the possible conclusion that your cylinder head gasket may have failed/is in the process of failing. Further tests/diagnosis is recommended.
;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts