Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well guys I decided to get a better oil filter mount yesterday. While I was redesigning my relocated filter set up, and oil cooler I cracked my oil thermostat and dual mount oil filter mount. These items are made of cast aluminum standardly and IMHO are inferior, albeit they do work. I am running 2 Mobile one M1301 oil filters which hold a quart of oil a piece. I have a B&M 70266 oil cooler from summit which cost 59.00, and holds about a quart of oil as well. This is a costly set up since the M1 301s cost 10.99 a piece, and with the lines and all I need about 9-10 quarts of synthetic oil at 6.99 a quart. My oil changes can get up to 100.00 a change! The benifits of cooling, filtration, and extra volume is worth it since my motor is rebuilt with fresh forged pistons and such. I decided to look for a billet filter mount because When trying to tighten my block adapter when I first bought the kit the cast block adapter broke, and I bought a billet block adapter which is way stronger.So heres my new fitler mount set up.

http://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/samplekit.jpg
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eabp.aspx

Now it seems I am at the 10-12 quart oil capacity because the damn filters are 1.5-2x the size of the M1301s which holda quart a piece. This ams oil billet adpter has the ablitly to have a plug that will accomodate an oil temp switch. I dont have to tap anywhere to install it and I got a blillet dual filter mount that looks bad ass. If I really wanted to I could use the 2 mobile 1 M1301 filters. Cost 200.00

·
On the edge of adhesion..
942 Posts
Too much oil...to much weight... :1poke:

Khris

·
Broke Supra Addicted Fool
767 Posts
Qwik's car is on its way to holding as much oil as a detroit diesel 892 ;)

which is roughly 7 gallons hehehe

·
Registered
503 Posts
jeebus christ lol... next step... dry sump lol... isn't there some oil, I think its ams oil, that you can go DAYS on between oil changed? You just have to change out the filter every so often? You might want to look into doing that because doing changed on that will get costly.

·
Supra hail dent king :(
1,155 Posts
QWIKSTRIKE said:
Well guys I decided to get a better oil filter mount yesterday. While I was redesigning my relocated filter set up, and oil cooler I cracked my oil thermostat and dual mount oil filter mount. These items are made of cast aluminum standardly and IMHO are inferior, albeit they do work. I am running 2 Mobile one M1301 oil filters which hold a quart of oil a piece. I have a B&M 70266 oil cooler from summit which cost 59.00, and holds about a quart of oil as well. This is a costly set up since the M1 301s cost 10.99 a piece, and with the lines and all I need about 9-10 quarts of synthetic oil at 6.99 a quart. My oil changes can get up to 100.00 a change! The benifits of cooling, filtration, and extra volume is worth it since my motor is rebuilt with fresh forged pistons and such. I decided to look for a billet filter mount because When trying to tighten my block adapter when I first bought the kit the cast block adapter broke, and I bought a billet block adapter which is way stronger.So heres my new fitler mount set up.

http://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/samplekit.jpg

Now it seems I am at the 10-12 quart oil capacity because the damn filters are 1.5-2x the size of the M1301s which holda quart a piece. This ams oil billet adpter has the ablitly to have a plug that will accomodate an oil temp switch. I dont have to tap anywhere to install it and I got a blillet dual filter mount that looks bad ass. If I really wanted to I could use the 2 mobile 1 M1301 filters. Cost 200.00
What kind of synthetic oil do you use at 6.99 a quart? that'sp ricey but i see you live in new york. maybe that's why. the mobil 1 oil filters we sell here are not much of a price difference. (9.99) and mobil 1 is 5.39. but that's odd. and good info. i was seeing the sale that MVP had on oil coolers awhile back but didn't think much of it. i should've jumped on them while they were cheap. where did you relocate your filter setup at??

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Are two filters really needed? Have you looked in the second filter to see if it is even getting dirty. Do you use magnetic drain plugs or magnetic oil filter sleeves? I would think those would be more benefical than a second filter. I know with my magnetic drain plug there would always be a little sludge attached to it everytime.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
magnetic filters or plugs dont do anything to capture the worn/spent bearing material. the only things that are ferrous are the components that are NOT supposed to wear during normal operation.

i would just run a pair of K&N filters, or a K&N filter and an FS2000 diesel filter for "advanced soot control". K&N's ftw, plus they ahve the cool 1" hex for easy removal via socket wrench

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have been around cars all my life. All this stuff about filters is pure nonsence. If the motor is healthy what is being filtered? If the motor is not healthy, a filter is not going to save it. If the filter is trapping debris, one filter or ten filters with ten quarts of oil will not save the motor. For 99% percent of the cars on this board here is all that is needed: Good quality oil of you're choice on sale and a good filter also on sale with normal change intervals. You must keep the level at full. A larger cooler can be advantages under some circumstances. I have synthetic oil in my vehicles with a good filter and never had a oil related problem. Diesel motors with dino oil can go a million miles without any crazy oiling setups. Gas motors eg. taxi's 500 K in some instances. Way overkill in most cases. IMHO

·
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
djmesican[B said:
]What kind of synthetic oil do you use at 6.99 a quart?[/B] that'sp ricey but i see you live in new york. maybe that's why. the mobil 1 oil filters we sell here are not much of a price difference. (9.99) and mobil 1 is 5.39. but that's odd. and good info. i was seeing the sale that MVP had on oil coolers awhile back but didn't think much of it. i should've jumped on them while they were cheap. where did you relocate your filter setup at??

There's nothing rice about me or my car arseho I mean butthead. Mobile1 here is 6.99 a quart and the filters are 10.99. My filer is on the front frame wherethe tow hook was.mounted. :1poke:

·
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Twigger said:
Are two filters really needed? Have you looked in the second filter to see if it is even getting dirty. Do you use magnetic drain plugs or magnetic oil filter sleeves? I would think those would be more benefical than a second filter. I know with my magnetic drain plug there would always be a little sludge attached to it everytime.

Don't gp thinking dude...I am using them for added oil volume. If you don't like it don't do it. It is functional and has a purpose. I don't just stick things on my car for show(rice) But hell half you guys don't know shit and are trying to tell me how to mod my car. :1poke: :wtflol: :rolleyes:

Respectfully speaking

Anthony

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
QWIKSTRIKE said:
There's nothing rice about me or my car arseho I mean butthead. Mobile1 here is 6.99 a quart and the filters are 10.99. My filer is on the front frame wherethe tow hook was.mounted. :1poke:

Um- read his post again before you go cursing, dude:

Originally Posted by djmesican[B
]What kind of synthetic oil do you use at 6.99 a quart?[/B] that'sp ricey but i see you live in new york. maybe that's why. the mobil 1 oil filters we sell here are not much of a price difference. (9.99) and mobil 1 is 5.39. but that's odd. and good info. i was seeing the sale that MVP had on oil coolers awhile back but didn't think much of it. i should've jumped on them while they were cheap. where did you relocate your filter setup at??

He said that's PRICEY, not ricey; he just got the space in between words in the wrong place.

·
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
flubyux2 said:
magnetic filters or plugs dont do anything to capture the worn/spent bearing material. the only things that are ferrous are the components that are NOT supposed to wear during normal operation.

i would just run a pair of K&N filters, or a K&N filter and an FS2000 diesel filter for "advanced soot control". K&N's ftw, plus they ahve the cool 1" hex for easy removal via socket wrench

One of the filters are diesel.I bought the kit because its billet and has a port for an oil temp switch. I bought a dual kit for volume of heat dissipation for all of the clueless, and the added filtration wouldn't hurt as you have stated Flubyux2.
I have the option of running mobile 1 filters or any filter I want to install; However these filters came with the kit. Summit sells a dual billet adapter for 149.00. and it didnt have all the fittlings and hose either. I have my own hose but they still were added with the filters for 50.00 more. Yes it's a little steep but for added cooling this system can't be beat. One filter is for filtration, and the other is a bypass filter for less pressure drop value! :nutkickhi

·
make that blkGT4294 LOL!
827 Posts
QWIKSTRIKE said:
Don't gp thinking dude...I am using them for added oil volume. If you don't like it don't do it. It is functional and has a purpose. I don't just stick things on my car for show(rice) But hell half you guys don't know shit and are trying to tell me how to mod my car. :1poke: :wtflol: :rolleyes:

Respectfully speaking

Anthony
Probably true, but I agree with IJ on the "other board". Canton Mecca FTW. 8 micron filtration is pretty damned good, no bypass needed.

·
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Um- read his post again before you go cursing people, dude:

Originally Posted by djmesican[B

He said that's PRICEY, not ricey; he just got the space in between words in the wrong place.

I stand corrected and appologize! :) :bowdown:

·
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
blkt72 said:
Probably true, but I agree with IJ on the "other board". Canton Mecca FTW. 8 micron filtration is pretty damned good, no bypass needed.

Again this isnt just about filtration....and that wasn't the main reason to do this. I also bet IJ would agree with the cooling by adding volume. He is one of my buds on sm before you guys knew he was a genius! :1poke:

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
yingling said:
I have been around cars all my life. All this stuff about filters is pure nonsence. If the motor is healthy what is being filtered? If the motor is not healthy, a filter is not going to save it. If the filter is trapping debris, one filter or ten filters with ten quarts of oil will not save the motor. For 99% percent of the cars on this board here is all that is needed: Good quality oil of you're choice on sale and a good filter also on sale with normal change intervals. You must keep the level at full. A larger cooler can be advantages under some circumstances. I have synthetic oil in my vehicles with a good filter and never had a oil related problem. Diesel motors with dino oil can go a million miles without any crazy oiling setups. Gas motors eg. taxi's 500 K in some instances. Way overkill in most cases. IMHO
I have to respectfully disagree. Even if your motor is healthy, there will be blowby and the particulate matter that comes with it. I don't care how healthy your motor is, there will be wear, and wear produces metallic particles. A good filtering system is cheap insurance, and increasing the capacity of the oil and oil cooler will help keep engine temps in check.

Also QWIK, you shouldn't have to change your oil for a long, looooong time with amsoil and that much capacity.

·
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
osofast7m said:
Too much oil...to much weight... :1poke:

Khris
I hear ya Kris but, I am not looking to have the fastest drag times. On the highway blackdevil can tell ya that that c5 vette didn't notice the extra weight, nor did the WRX STI that tried to run away while I flanked a vette that thought he had mor balls than me yesterday when I was driving behind him. I toasted 2 for one.;) lol The standalone will be in in a week or so then We will see! :1poke: :wtflol: :)

BTW you thought that GT4088 was over the top too remember!;)

·
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Zach90Turbo said:
I have to respectfully disagree. Even if your motor is healthy, there will be blowby and the particulate matter that comes with it. I don't care how healthy your motor is, there will be wear, and wear produces metallic particles. A good filtering system is cheap insurance, and increasing the capacity of the oil and oil cooler will help keep engine temps in check.

Also QWIK, you shouldn't have to change your oil for a long, looooong time with amsoil and that much capacity.

I am only using the amsoil filters and billet adapter. The oil i am using now is mobile1. I may change later to redline or royal purple but the the price shoots up even more!

·
1991 1JZ
1,157 Posts
QWIKSTRIKE said:
I hear ya Kris but, I am not looking to have the fastest drag times. On the highway blackdevil can tell ya that that c5 vette didn't notice the extra weight, nor did the WRX STI that tried to run away while I flanked a vette that thought he had mor balls than me yesterday when I was driving behind him. I toasted 2 for one.;) lol The standalone will be in in a week or so then We will see! :1poke: :wtflol: :)
haha shhhhhhhhh STI's got nothing on the highway. the vette however is a nice kill :)

1 - 20 of 106 Posts