Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I took my car on a long drive to tahoe this weekend. Well, it got hot. I was watching my temp gauge real close. It got hot, but not red. So i pull over and i see cooland leaking from the IC, and dripping off my hood. my over flow tank overflowed! WTF, is that little hose that comes off the top supposed to be connected to something? I'm pretty sure its suppsoed to come from the rad on 1 side, and the other side is like a open dump tube. My car has constantly been making 60 mile trips boosting driving it like a supra without any problems. But a 120 mile trip i get hot? I guess its new RAD and water pump time. Any thoughts??? and or experience?

~scott

·
Registered
710 Posts
Try a new thermostat and radiator cap first. Then, check the fan clutch, for debris in front of the radiator, etc. Do a search for other stuff to check. There's tons of stuff that could cause that. And of course, it could be a BHG.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, i dont think its BHG, due to ARPs to 75 ft/lbs, and HKS MHG about 1700 miles ago. I dont think its thermostat, due to it working fine on short drives. I dont know why my thermostat would close on long drives, but i guess anything is possible. I'm more curious if my overflow tank is correct?

~scott

·
Registered
625 Posts
Radiator cap seems to be the common problem... Mine does this too and Im pretty sure that is the problem. I think I run into the common problems with my car at the same time as everyone else except it seems like everyone else only gets one or two and I think Ive had them all haha. anyways yeah get a rad cap I think the springs are alittle tierd after 13+ years.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on replacing rad cap, and getting a shroud. I will post results once I have had time to get everything fixed.

~scott

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
stonedworm said:
The shroud is very important... gotta have one.
I ran no shroud with my fluidyne for a year with no heating problems what so ever.

·
Registered
961 Posts
SupraOfDoom said:
I ran no shroud with my fluidyne for a year with no heating problems what so ever.
Yea but you had a fluidyne.. so that basically offset the lack of the shroud...

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
Yep shroud is highly recommended, unless you run fluidyne. But not everyone can afford one, i.e. yours truly :) But the overflow is there to hold water that spills out of the RAD, and if it's to full, it'll go into the overflow until that is to full. Thus presenting the issue which you encountered on your trip. Try repressurizing your system w/ a new RAD cap*the safety ones are great, not to expensive either* and thermostat. Also get a fan shroud it'll help keep it cooler.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
88supramkiii said:
Yep shroud is highly recommended, unless you run fluidyne. But not everyone can afford one, i.e. yours truly :) But the overflow is there to hold water that spills out of the RAD, and if it's to full, it'll go into the overflow until that is to full. Thus presenting the issue which you encountered on your trip. Try repressurizing your system w/ a new RAD cap*the safety ones are great, not to expensive either* and thermostat. Also get a fan shroud it'll help keep it cooler.

Thats exactly my plan for tomorrow after work.

~scott

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
Fluidyne >>> Fan Shroud.

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
SupraOfDoom said:
Fluidyne >>> Fan Shroud.

So true, so true. :beer:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had the exact same problem about a week ago. The engine was getting hot, but not quite to the red and coolant was overflowing out of the reservoir onto the intercooler. I replaced the thermostat and the problem went away.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
BTW scott.....I got a known good Toyota one off my 1j... want it?

And BTW Supra water pumps hardly EVER go bad.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
The fluiddyne rad and flexilte slim line fans fit perfectly. I have not had any heat issues with this set-up. Keeps cooler than normal. I would also suggest to have a cooler stat in there in case of something overheating, which will give you a chance to catch it.

Your case sounds like a stat. Why the low torque on the head with the metal gasket and ARP's?

PS: The rad cap is also another possibilty. A rad cap has a vacuum vent valve and a relief valve which helps it blow and suck back and forth from the res. Check both and see what happens.

Duane

G

·
Wouldn't going up through the mountain pass to Tahoe have an effect? And the high altitude? I remember seeing "Do not overheat, turn AC off" when going over the Grapevine towards L.A.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No that didnt affect my at all. I also got hot in the flat lands on the way home. I replaced my radiator cap yesterday. The old one had about half the gasket left on the bottom of the spring that keeps coolant from going into the overflow tank pre maturely I think that was my problem. So next time i drive to tahoe I'll post if my new cap helped any.

~scott

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
or just go drive for like an hour.......

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that might work if i was going like 130 mph. It takes like 130 miles for it to happen. I drove 90 miles to work on monday, and my temp was great.

~scott

1 - 20 of 23 Posts