Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, my last post states that overflowing coolant resevoir may not be a bhg. i replace the hose right behind the alternator and the hose right under the intake manifold. no more suppose oil pan leak and no more overheating. muy 87 is running super fast. i boosted up to 15psi and beat the shit out of it about thirty more redlines since the last post. the next mornig on the way to work i overheated. i tried burping the coolant system and on the way home from work i over heated again. (okay, i must have finally blown my mhg.) i shut down the engine and pop the hood. resevoir was bubbling. but i heard a high pitch whistle. followg the sound found it to be at the thermostat housing. this have happen to me on two other supra turbos. when i changed the thermostat and go to tighten the two bolts that hold the housing over the thermostat, the top bolt would break on me. so i would only use the one under bolt. when the engine finally cooled. i tightended the one bolt and top off the radiator and resevoir. drove a few miles boosting about 10 psi. no signs of trouble. the engine temperature was nornal. then on my last redlining for the night the temp gauge started to go up. i got home and pop the hood. the bolt have broke and the housing was hanging. the thermostat have came off. in conclusion.... people who have change the hg and still have overheating problems should check the thermostat housing, especially if u only have one bolt holding it together. it might have a tiny leak leading to loss of pressure in the cooling system.

by the way.... can someong tell me how to fix the housing? if anyone have any comments please post.
one more thing. this might be off the subject but can some tell me how to add pictures of my car and put a list of my mods to my supraforum screen name. i tried contacting the admin but now answer, thanks a lot.

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
Drill out the 2 screws, tap the holes, put in 2 new bolts, or use studs and nuts, and DON"T OVER TIGHTEN THEM!!!!!

Oh yeah, and do the hg again.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im having a hard time taking out the thermostat housing, i alread removed three bolts and it still wouldnt come loose. do i need to take out the cam position sensor to remove the housing?

·
Registered
439 Posts
No you dont need to get the cps out, make sure you got all screws out, I thought there were 2 only...

grab the housing from were the hose goes to the rad and pull to the other side, will let go eventually, if not pry with a flat screwdriver

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just to make sure that theres no misunderstanding. im trying to remove the wholw haousing off of the head so that i would have enought space to drill out the broken bolts. and the cps is right in front of it.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
might be easier just to pull the radiator and do it in the car...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just got finished drilling and tapping those two bolts. I loosened my belts and took of my upper hose, the big/accesory fan and the shroud and that gave me just enought room to get in there.

Im also having the same problem you are, I have replaced everything in the cooling sytem except the lower hose. hopefully that will be the problem.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I don't know why anyone would run with only 1 bolt and expect it to hold????

Other than the fail...

You will need to remove the CPS to remove the thermostat housing. It is held on by studs. You can remove the bolt and nuts but it won't clear the CPS while sliding along the studs.

Personally I'd pull the CPS before removing/replacing the radiator. It will give you a chance to change out the gasket (16343-42020) and the 90 degree hose (16283-42010) underneath the housing while you have it apart (both are common failure points). Just be sure to mark the CPS position with a sharpie and double check the timing after it's back in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts