Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wel my baby is overheating in the 90 degree heat again today in sunny cali. I read somewhere on these threads about the fan clutch. I checked the clutch after the engine was hot by spinning it. It didn't even turn one complete turn before stopping. I also tried it when the engine was cold and it did the same thing. When you spin it cold with a good clutch should it spin pretty freely all the way around a couple of times or just the way mine was??

I also remember from my MKII days back in the 80's that you are not supposed to lay a fan clutch assembly flat down due to the fluid inside. Is this true of these fans??

Also, last question....Is there a way to fix the clutch by replacing the fluid or when they go bad are they history. If so what kind of fluid is in them???

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm not sure on the whole fluid in the clutch thing but I would just replace it and be done with it. If you need one I got one sitting here at my shop ready to go out. PM me and let me know. I'll give ya a good $ on it.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
They will not turn very much at all when you free spin them. Can you hear it engage and disengage while you are driving? The fan will be MUCH more noticeably loud and put more of a drag on the engine when it is engaged.

Have you checked your other cooling components? Hoses? Thermo? Rad? BHG Test? Etc?

As far as I know, no fluid in a clutch fan. Never seen any anyway. If and when it goes out, you just replace the whole thing.

G

·
Hey Dude, check the turbo cooloing hoses. I have a 91 and when the hose had a small hole in it i couldnt figure it out for the life of me until i blew it completley. in the cold the pressure never got high enough. when things started getting hotter it would get hot qiuck and the coolant would get low and i could never get nailed down till it blew.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts