Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read a couple of posts about this already so i'd like to apologize in advance for making a repetitive question... But my circumstances are somewhat different.

Last night was the first night it really got warm down by me. So im heading out to my friends house who lives in gaum. Im on the interstate doing about 80.

The speed limit rises and people were going slow so i spooled up and excelled to about 90 to pass some traffic. Look down at my temperature gauge...75% hot

As soon as i slowed down to 60 the temperature went back to normal... wasnt even a slow progression... It just dropped.

During city driving the car has yet to overheat... It only seems to happen when im boosting over 70-80 on the highway.

Tried bleeding the system... didnt work...

Headgasket was done not even 3,000 miles ago. The warpage on the block was just at if not a little under the allowable warpaged stated in the tsrm. Stock headgasket with arp studs torqued to 78 lbs.

I know the obvious answer would be to check the thermostat... I just want to see what you all have to say in response... as far as what you THINK it is. I've seen a lot of people list this as a symptom to a blown headgasket. Just doesnt seem likely... but i could be wrong...

·
Livin the Supra Lifestyle
2,023 Posts
I started to over heat on the high way months before I was positive I had a bhg. The gasket could of set wrong or possible issue with the head. Don't know for sure though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The first thing I would check is flow through the radiator. If you have partial blockage, mostly occurs from the bottom of the radiator up, it will affect it most at high speeds.

I am not sure if your car has a fan clutch, but if it does check it. Again, at high speeds it may not be able to keep up if it is weak.

Last, do not over look the radiator cap. If it is not holding proper pressure, it will not force the water through like it should. Again, it will most likely occur at high speeds when the demand is greatest.

Good luck.

·
General Hooligan
208 Posts
i had this issue when driving down to myrtle beach in mine, i think the issue was i had shims in the WG and a stock DP, just overheated the cat which in turn over heated the engine compartment, oh did i mention how much ass it sucked having the heat on and driving 16 hrs
good think i already have a mhg cause im sure that would have popped

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Sounds like air in the coolant. Mine used to just drop like that also, scared me shitless when I saw it like you did, slowed and watched it fall back to normal. If you bled/flushed all the coolant and positive u got the air out (Try burping?), then u could have a BHG that is messing with the coolant flow.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i actually tried burping again just before. I left the car on jackstands outside for like a half an hour.

I took it out of the highway and beat the **** out of it... wouldnt overheat...

This was at night though so it was cooler out... i guess we will know for sure tomorrow when i take it out on the interstate and beat on it some more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts