Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own an 87 supra n/a and after driving for a while there was a loud smacking or snapping sound in the engine and then it started to overheat. No belts or pulleys are gone and it still starts fine but overheats. Any ideas on what it could be?

·
Registered
402 Posts
well if its overheating then either you have a blown head gskt which the 7ms are known 4 . maybe the rad cap isnt holding pressure. one of the hoses could have a crack . timing could have slipped . radiator could be clogged. theres a few possibilities . do a compression test . pressurize the cooling system and check timing that should get you somewhere.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
over heating

jokable1 said:
well if its overheating then either you have a blown head gskt which the 7ms are known 4 . maybe the rad cap isnt holding pressure. one of the hoses could have a crack . timing could have slipped . radiator could be clogged. theres a few possibilities . do a compression test . pressurize the cooling system and check timing that should get you somewhere.
couldnt have said it better..start with the basics bro

·
Registered
153 Posts
1987supra said:
I own an 87 supra n/a and after driving for a while there was a loud smacking or snapping sound in the engine and then it started to overheat. No belts or pulleys are gone and it still starts fine but overheats. Any ideas on what it could be?

First things first: Thermostat failure (doesn't open or open enough)? Then I would consider water pump failure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts