Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here it goes. i blew a head gasket on my 91 turbo, got it going again but this damn car will not stop overheating. ive replaced the radiator, bought 2 waterpumps, new fan clutch, 3-4 thermostats, ran no thermostat,bypassed the heater core, flushed the crap outta the system, burped the cooling system for like an hour. compression is damn near perfect. checked timing, dead on. car drives awesome, but wont stop overheating. anyone got any ideas

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
by the way the head is not cracked, damn near perfect condition, taken to machine shop and checked.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
temp is about 210 on the freeway, and in town it will be around 220-225 driving, and shoot up to 240+ at stoplights. used to be at like 190-200 pretty damn consistent before the bhg

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
what did you torque the new head gasket down too? please dont say 58ftlbs like the book says.
maybe get a hydrocarbon test done to see if there are exhaust gasses in your coolant.
are you losing coolant?

·
Registered
375 Posts
could you have put the head gasket on upside down, i know on some cars its damn near identical but if u flip it it does allow some fluids to pass

·
Registered
163 Posts
im having the same problem, im about to go with a new radiator, except i never had a BHG, but it was always looked after, its in the shop right now getting diagnosed, its so bad at this point that i went to a show yesterday and on the way home ( a whole 2.5 miles ) i had to stop 2 times to cool down, but one wasnt intentional, in the middle on an intersection, good luck man, ill post and let u know whats happening... by the way i have a new thermostst as of yesterday, and a month old water pump with 20 miles on it... thx, lata

50th post !!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
MA71 said:
temp is about 210 on the freeway, and in town it will be around 220-225 driving, and shoot up to 240+ at stoplights. used to be at like 190-200 pretty damn consistent before the bhg
Drive the car around at operating temp for a bit then get out with the engine running and pop the hood to see if the engine fan is running. If it NEVER overheats while moving i'd bet it is the fan (likely the fan clutch out).

·
Registered
393 Posts
sg02 said:
Drive the car around at operating temp for a bit then get out with the engine running and pop the hood to see if the engine fan is running. If it NEVER overheats while moving i'd bet it is the fan (likely the fan clutch out).

It says he tried a new fan clutch? but thanks for caring enough to answer

Proper amount of coolant to water?

Fan shroud in place?

thats all i can think of that hasn't been mentioned :ugh2:

·
Graphic Designer
217 Posts
coolant passageway(s) clogged?

·
Registered
311 Posts
casgallo said:
It says he tried a new fan clutch? but thanks for caring enough to answer

Proper amount of coolant to water?

Fan shroud in place?

thats all i can think of that hasn't been mentioned :ugh2:
yep but whether he means a brand new one or a 'new' one off of another car that could be seized as well is a different story. :bigthumb: . Heh.

·
*SNICKER SNICKER*
725 Posts
ok one thing I haven't seen mentioned...

What happens if you let it idle with the cap off for like 20-30 mins ... will it overheat then? loose any coolant?

you should be able to idle the engine for as long as you want at idle with the cap off and not loose any fluid...

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
fan shroud is always my first question as it makes a HUGE difference, and I see far too many MKIII's without em...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
everything is in place, all the parts are there, brand new toyota parts. Head checked and resurfaced, stock toyota gasket torqued to 75 w/ arps. Idles great, drives smooth great power, if im moving fast ittl hold pretty consistent at around 210-215f. in town it just skyrockets. theres gotta be a blockage. im gonna pull of the head. scarface lemme know what happened w/ urs

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
DeanMarcum said:
What temp gauge are you using? If it is electric you may have killed the sender unit.

1) Are you loosing any coolant?
2) What gauge are you using (see above)?
3) Are you sure the head gasket work was done properly?
4) Does the cooling system hold pressure when you turn the car off? If not are you using a new radiator cap?

You said it all man

1 - 17 of 17 Posts