Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I'm not creating this thread to start some GTR Fanboi fight, or to create a pissing contest for any other brand.

That being said - I visited a local tuner shop - with what I think has some credibility in the DFW Area. To what extent or reputation I'm not 100% sure, but I did get to speak with the owner of the company for a good amount of time. I started off seeing his wrecked 1000 HP Supra, of which the drivetrain was about to get transplanted into another 1997 Supra - Impressive car and impressive damage.

He then showed me his GTR and I asked a few simple questions on the engineering aspect of that car, reliability, etc....Cause we have all "Heard/Read" things. He went on to tell me about the strengths and weaknesses of the car.

A lot of information was told to me, some of which went over my head, but the jist of the conversation went like this - Nissan over engineered this car RIGHT out of the box to take a beating, be tuner friendly, upgrade, able to take massive amounts of HP, stout drivetrain, etc...ALL of which was music to my ears considering what a special place in my heart the Supra has. And I think we all, owners or fans of the supra - hang our perverbial hat on the fact that Toyota over engineered this car out of the box - and was a very friendly car towards mods, tuners, and HP.

Don't mistake Over Engineering for simple bolt on modifications extracting extra HP (mustangs or camaros). Think of cars, like the GTR, that allow you to not only tap into the engine management, but also the transmission seperately. Two Fuel Pumps stock, FPR Stock, performance/information gauges built into the computer interface to eliminate 10 guages, can handle xxx HP safely, stock HP capability limits, etc...

So what other cars out there are also "Overly Engineered"? The types of cars that the carmaker was very forward thinking with. Also, I think another attribute needs to be driveability and comfort, Electronics and gadgets, creature comforts, versatile, maybe even affordable? And engineered to the extent that it really adds a special experience to the ownership of the car?

At the end of the day I saw alot of Parallels to our beloved Supra - it was pretty cool.

CLIFF: GTR, IMO is an over engineered car like the Supra was for it's time. What other cars out there are so over engineered that they really nailed it out of the box? And why?

·
Ludicrous speed! GO!
959 Posts
guess they forgot to work on the tranny

·
Money Power Respect
1,008 Posts
Gen II Vipers, 03/04 Cobras, Shelby GT500s, C6Z, 996/997 Porsche Turbo and most of the AMG cars. All of these make over 500whp pretty easily/cheap and can handle 8XX with fuel+turbo/SC, yet still be fairly reliable including their drivetrains.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guess they forgot to work on the tranny
The owner of the shop said they weren't really an issue and were pretty stout. He said most of the damaged trannies came from folks with LC on and with Slicks. The clutches and gears can be replaced now - and you don't need to drop $25k for a whole tranny.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gen II Vipers, 03/04 Cobras, Shelby GT500s, C6Z, 996/997 Porsche Turbo and most of the AMG cars. All of these make over 500whp pretty easily/cheap and can handle 8XX with fuel+turbo/SC, yet still be fairly reliable including their drivetrains.
Not sure I'd put most of these cars on that list. Some of these are very 1 dimensional as far as engineering efforts go - meaning their engineering efforts were geared towards 1 thing in mind.

·
Money Power Respect
1,008 Posts
Not sure I'd put most of these cars on that list. Some of these are very 1 dimensional as far as engineering efforts go - meaning their engineering efforts were geared towards 1 thing in mind.
How so? They all handle relatively well, besides the AMG cars and maybe the first GT500s, however the 2011 GT500 handles quite well. The Viper as well as the C6Z have numerous road racing victories under their belts and the Porsche Turbos are known to handle well, although somewhat vague in steering/road feel.

Either way though, your original post was asking about over engineered cars, and all of the aforementioned reliably stand up to much more horsepower than they leave the factory with.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
When I hear the word "overengineered" I think there's a cost benefit attached to that. The Supra was considered "overengineered" because for it's price, it did alot of things great. The more expensive a car is, the less the word "overengineered" has clout since it's expected. My list doesn't include any domestics, at all. There is always something lacking when it comes to the overall car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not that many modern cars that come to mind, but almost all the japanese sports coupes of the 90's do. 3000gt, 300zx, mr2, fd...

·
Registered
534 Posts
s2000. 12000+ recorded track miles btwn me, my dad, and my brother taking it to the track, not a single failure to date and is as "tight" as day 1. Haven't been able to say that about any other my older track cars.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How so? They all handle relatively well, besides the AMG cars and maybe the first GT500s, however the 2011 GT500 handles quite well. The Viper as well as the C6Z have numerous road racing victories under their belts and the Porsche Turbos are known to handle well, although somewhat vague in steering/road feel.

Either way though, your original post was asking about over engineered cars, and all of the aforementioned reliably stand up to much more horsepower than they leave the factory with.
The last 2 paragraphs are geared toward cars that are much more than just reliable hp numbers. I thinks it more complicated to engineer a car that is well rounded in many aspects and does them very well vs taking 1 or 2 engineering goals and being successful. Of course this is all subjective, but so is our loyalties and affinities towards certain cars and carmakers.

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
...The Viper as well as the Porsche have numerous road racing victories under their belts and the C6Z are known to handle well, although somewhat vague in steering/road feel...
FIXED. Don't even think of comparing steering/road feel between any factory Corvette (short of the cars equipped with magnetic ride, and even that might be a stretch) with Porsches. That is one of the weakest points of the Corvette, at least if you're talking about C5 and C6 variants.

·
Registered
830 Posts
LS430...built like a tank. Best lexus ever IMO and I've had almost all of them one time or another.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts