Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Slowly but Surely
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea, while i was testing out my a/f ratio guage, i noticed that the guage stayed on the last green bar. I know its supposed to jump around a little but it didn't. Im thinkin the oxygen sensor need to be replaced, but i just need to sure. Thanks

Neal

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
If you don't have an engine error code or you aren't getting poor gas mileage don't worry about it. Some sensors are just lazy.

·
Slowly but Surely
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am gettin a little under bad gas mileage though> IIRC, wasn't it mentioned by someone on the forums that oxygen sensors should be replaced every 60k miles? anyways, thanks for the bit of info bishop.

Neal

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Ehh, O2 sensors sometimes last a long time, sometimes not long at all. It just depends on how you treat them. Race gas, leaded fuels, etc will reduce the life a good bit. Running very rich will also shorten the life dramatically.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
toulene/xylene shouldn't affect the life of O2 sensors as they are simple hydrocarbons -- but yes running rich, burning oil, or running leaded gas -- will all shorten it's life. Some guys replace them every 30,000 miles, I believe the book specifies 60,000. I know of a couple cars with 180,000+ miles what appear to be original O2's

The TSRM procedure for checking an O2 sensor:

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
If I recall correctly, when my A/F wire gets disconnected from the Ox wire on the diagnostic block, I think the A/F gauge sits at full rich by default. You may need to check your A/F wire. Where is it tapped?

·
Slowly but Surely
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i tapped it right under the diagnosis box, i had a wire tester to see it if was gettin current but my cousin said that it would't put out that much current to light up the LED

·
Slowly but Surely
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know guys, i think im doin something wrong, i hooked everything up right. Hey guys, i don't have the power wires hooked to the car, i just hooked it up to 9v battery and hooked the a/f wire up. Does the positive and negative wires have to be hooked to the car as well or can i just run it to a battery as i did as i wanted to check out the guage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts