Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
HKS T04Z rocks!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had the unfortunate problem of oxygen starvation during delivery with our little Anna born last Monday. One week later she is still in the incubator and only a little improved and just off the ventalator.

Has anyone here experience of this? we are trying to figure out how things may pan out, but fear the worst being considerable brain damage.

·
Registered
875 Posts
We have had the unfortunate problem of oxygen starvation during delivery with our little Anna born last Monday. One week later she is still in the incubator and only a little improved and just off the ventalator.

Has anyone here experience of this? we are trying to figure out how things may pan out, but fear the worst being considerable brain damage.
hang in there dude, if it gives you any comfort you can't tell what damage if any has been done while she is on a ventilator as they are often given medications to keep them comfortable, so just cause she wasn't moving much doesn't mean that's what she will be like later.

it will also take a little while for the meds to wear off once they are stopped.

the key question will be how long was she hypoxic for and what happened to cause her to be hypoxic ie has the cause been fixed (difficult delivery? fetal distress prior? meconium aspiration?)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Same thing happen to me when I was born. I was premature to boot and my lungs weren't fully developed. I spent weeks in a incubator at the hospital after I was born.

If it makes you have any hope at all for a good outcome...I turned out just fine and I grew up healthy and developed completely normal.

I wish you and your new family member the best...keep us updated.

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
A family that im very close with at my church has a son with Cerebral Palsy(sp) that was supposedly caused by his ambilical cord being wrapped around his neck during birth. I dont know every aspect of the situation but that is what my understanding is. Because he was starved of oxygen when he was born it led to the CP.

I hope that your little one is ok and ill be praying for her!!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Hoping for the best.

·
Sunnyvale resident
268 Posts
My daughter was born last year with the cord wrapped around her neck 3 times. It was a difficult delivery, and seeing her come out like that was something I dont wish on anyone. Thankfully, they had a whole team in the delivery room by then and after an agonizing bit of silence they were able to bring her around. She had to spend 2 weeks in the N-ICU for oxygen dep and fluid in her lungs before she was finally released to come home. Now, she's perfectly healthy and growing like a weed!
Hang in there man, I know how taxing it is to have to basically live in the ICU with your little one. Just be there for her and I hope you get to bring her home soon. :bigok:

·
My dog is cooler than you
566 Posts
Don't read this if you are avoiding negativity.

I hate to be the bad guy but my nephew was born hypoxic. The placenta tore away from Nic's abdominal wall, they did an emergency C-section and his blood ox was too low. He lived in an incubator for five days and never woke up. Single saddest thing that has ever happened to me. I hope this is not at all what happens in your case as no parent should outlive their child. NICU is an AMAZING place though and they can do incredible things. If I were religious, I'd pray for you and your little one but terrible things happen. That's my experience with hypoxia. Sorry

·
Registered
572 Posts
Well I'm a respiratory therapist so I'm fairly familiar with NICUs, incubators, ventilators, etc..

Honestly, the outcome will depend on how low the SAO2 levels were, for how long, and why. Hypoxic brain damage isn't something you recover from, but many times we get hypoxic babies that were just temporary or not as bad as it seems. Your kid is off the vent so at least they have stem function. Unfortunately that doesn't mena much with upper brain functions.

If you can give more info I could give better advice. From a HCW perspective I'd probably say to sit down with your wife and discuss the whole gambit of issues you may be facing. Your child could be anywhere from perfectly healthy, to delayed, to little to no cognitive function.

Again, I hope for the best.

·
HKS T04Z rocks!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replys guys, its stressful waiting to see how its goes, now down to two drips feeds with nutrition, and one phenobarb. Slight improvement every day, but we will still have to wait I guess to see how it goes. Hopefully she can do as well as some of the good recoverys mentioned here. Thank you for your prayers.

·
Retired Admin
597 Posts
I am so sorry to hear you're going through this.

I have two stories.

My cousin was oxygen deprived. She was brain damaged due to being stuck in the birth canal. She just recently turned 18 and will need assistance for the rest of her life. She has canes to walk but is a total joy to be around and a very sweet girl. She doesn't talk much.

My girlfriend had a prolonged delivery and her son was in the NICU for about 2 weeks. He was recently diagnosed with cerebral palsy, however, he is on track to be developmentally equivalent to other children his age by the time he is 2-3 years old. He is now about 18 months.

Medical technology has changed vastly between these two cases. That is not to say credit should be given to medicine, but that is a distinct possibility.

I will pray for your little girl. Hang in there. There are many NICU parenting support groups which would prove invaluable for what you're going through right now. From what I understand, it is one of the hardest times in most people's lives.

·
Photogenic Monkey!
78 Posts
just be positive dude.. my prayers go out to you and your family

He lived in an incubator for five days and never woke up. Single saddest thing that has ever happened to me.
:tear: im so sorry man

·
Registered
572 Posts
Fixed. :D

OP: Good luck. Best wishes for a good outcome - it's just a waiting game now, which personally, is worse than knowing, but keep your head up. She will be a wonderful girl either way.
Last time I said that people got perturbed by it.

·
They giggle
1,935 Posts
I'll have her in my prayers. I can't imagine what you're going through. It must be beyond horrible. :( Hang in there, man.

·
HKS T04Z rocks!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I'm a respiratory therapist so I'm fairly familiar with NICUs, incubators, ventilators, etc..

Honestly, the outcome will depend on how low the SAO2 levels were, for how long, and why. Hypoxic brain damage isn't something you recover from, but many times we get hypoxic babies that were just temporary or not as bad as it seems. Your kid is off the vent so at least they have stem function. Unfortunately that doesn't mena much with upper brain functions.

If you can give more info I could give better advice. From a HCW perspective I'd probably say to sit down with your wife and discuss the whole gambit of issues you may be facing. Your child could be anywhere from perfectly healthy, to delayed, to little to no cognitive function.

Again, I hope for the best.
Would SA02 levels be shown in a apgar reading?

I have a breifing with the DR's tomorrow, if you think there are any questions i should be asking in particular i would appreciate your input. Unfortunately this hospital has a bad record for getting it wrong, which I only found out since the birth.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Would SA02 levels be shown in a apgar reading?

I have a breifing with the DR's tomorrow, if you think there are any questions i should be asking in particular i would appreciate your input. Unfortunately this hospital has a bad record for getting it wrong, which I only found out since the birth.
SA O2 levels are the partial pressure of oxygen found in her blood, they are measured by Arterial Blood Gasses (ABGs)

APGAR is a culmination of how well the baby is doing at birth and a little after birth and by that score HCWs will determine what measures should be taken. Find out her scores.

Other things to ask:
How long was she on high O2 (above 60%)-ROP possibilities.
How high here her peak pressures in order to ventilate- BPD possibilities.
What were CT results? Any bleeding, malformation, showing of anoxia?
What are the long term issues we're looking at? Neonatal/pediatric neurologist consult?

Keep me informed and I'll try to help as best I can.

·
Flesh Into Gear
94 Posts

I was born with a collapsed lung thanks to the umbilical cord being wrapped around my next. Accounts recall "oh my god, the baby's blue" being uttered post-delivery. Spent a couple days the ICU..

And I'm pretty darned healthy! I had mild asthma as a younger child but have outgrown it.

Good luck to you and yours..

·
Registered
233 Posts
SA O2 levels are the partial pressure of oxygen found in her blood, they are measured by Arterial Blood Gasses (ABGs)

APGAR is a culmination of how well the baby is doing at birth and a little after birth and by that score HCWs will determine what measures should be taken. Find out her scores.

Other things to ask:
How long was she on high O2 (above 60%)-ROP possibilities.
How high here her peak pressures in order to ventilate- BPD possibilities.
What were CT results? Any bleeding, malformation, showing of anoxia?
What are the long term issues we're looking at? Neonatal/pediatric neurologist consult?

Keep me informed and I'll try to help as best I can.
I know you're trying to be helpful, but giving someone who doesn't normally use medical jargon questions to ask like "what's the possibility of ROP and BPD?" is worse than not asking anything at all. then they get the usual information overload with the answers, run to google, and start freaking out when they find out what ROP and BPD is.. when it is probably irrelevent. The high O2 is used because brain wins over eyesight. If they have to use 100 pct O2 for a month.. what's the difference? yeah there are consequences, but the alternative is to save the eyeballs and give away the brain. High peaks are irrelevant because you have to use whatever pressure is needed to move the o2. All he needs to know is whether or not his child will survive, and if she survives, what is her potential for normal development, neurologically. All the other stuff, while important, is not what he needs to be worrying about for the next couple of weeks. not to be an ahole, but that's how i see it. If she makes it beyond that, the other stuff is much more relevant.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts