Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Actual member since 2001.
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so today I got a P0500 code on my 97 TT 6 spd. I did a search and could find much, mostly on autos and most of the time it had to do with the speedo failing. My speedo still works and I dont feel any power loss. Is the vehice speed sensor located on a wheel hub or on the tranny?

Any suggestions?

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, found it. After seeing the picture of the speed sensor I now recall seeing it while under the car a while back and I noticed it was not sitting flush on the side of the tranny. Tommorrow I'll get under the car and see whats up with it. Possibly a loose sensor? Casn this cause a misfire?

Edit: Additionally I have the yellow ABS indicator illuminated on the left side of my dash yet it didnt show up on the scan tool..

·
Registered
460 Posts
The speedo sensor is off of the transmisson case. The ABS speed sensors are off of the wheels. These dont determine what speed your going through the dash instrument cluster. Each wheel has a trigger wheel that uses a sensor to send an AC signal to the ABS computer. The computer monitors each wheel in relation to eachoter so when one wheel spins faster then the others, that alterd AC signal at that wheel is sent to the computer and the computer tells the ABS pump to apply the anti-lock brakes to that wheel(s) (like when you skid on ice so it rapidly applys the brakes to prevent lock up). If the sensor is disconnected or off line from the trigger wheel then it will throw an ABS code. Sometimes scan tools are sketchy about showing that info as with air bag stuff.

·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I removed my calipers a while back to have them powder coated and since putting them back on the car I've had the ABS code. I'll have to check this out.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
TO check the ABS code, go to the diagnostic connector under the hood and connect "Tc" to "E1" with a small wire.
Go inside the car and turn the key to "ON"
The ABS light will stay lit for a few seconds and then start flashing a code.
Refer to the following page for the codes and meanings (8th page down are the code meanings):
http://www.97supraturbo.com/1997 Service Manual/Diagnostics-Other.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.