Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
GT-R DUN, Son.
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I always see traffic ticket questions come up so I decided to start the NW Traffic Ticket Thread.

Please sticky as I know there are other lawyers and will update as the resources become available from valuable contributors such as *YOU*. No more shall we have a wandering noob ask the inevitible question "I got a ticket now what!?"
Look no further.

Here is my traffic ticket advice that I will repeat till I am blue in the face:
(in this case the ticket was for $242 so replace your ticket fee in its place)

1) Just pay $242 + whatever increase in your insurance for the next 3 years (at min) AND lose a clean record (this in of itself is valuable since cops look at your record when they pull you over again and see you have a ticket on it...more likely to give you a ticket)

2) Pay $350 for an 80% chance (for me at least) to have the ticket dismissed. Cop may not show up to court..personally I never cared how the laywer did it, just the results.

Worse case scenario the ticket will be reduced since the court sympathises with the laywers and figure they gotta throw them a bone at least to show that their client got something from their services.

More than likely you can plea it out to have diversion or do some class + avoid getting a ticket on your record if you don't get a ticket in the next year or 2. If you do, then both tickets go on your record (since I always got tickets every year this wasn't an options haha)

This option is a government wins (Since you have to pay for diversion) + the laywer winning since they "won" for you. I never did this since I felt it was the least dollar/time value for me. Since you got to spend a weekend at a hospital watching crap intreviewing with patients affected by speeding..blah blah...I'd rather just take the chance to fight it (it doesn't matter if your guilty..this is the system) and risk $600 hit if I totally lost.

Ultimatly, its your choice AND TIME. Remeber that.

Thats my traffic ticket logic when I get "random taxed" for the State General Fund

Lawyer Resources:

Seattle Area-
Jeannie P Mucklestone $300-$500 flat fee (been a while)
(206) 623-3343
www.mucklestone.com

Jag - ($300-$375)
Matto Law Firm
119 First Ave S, Suite 500
Seattle WA 98104
253 332 4879

Mitch Greene - http://www.speedinginseattle.com/

·
Swing on deezz!!!
2,155 Posts
Yes, thanks Reg for passing your plethora of knowledge to us commoners. I'd like to add that if you are ordered to pay a traffic ticket...pay the damn thing. They'll take your license away if you don't in Washington.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
i've been pulled over probably 16 times in my life. Sometimes for just driving 24 in a 20. Or "looking suspecious".

Ticketed about 15/17 times. Only reason why percentages are so high is because some stos they've given me more than one ticket.

However i have fighted nearly every ticket i've received and only 4ish have ever sticked. Last one i could of appealed easy but due to a health reasons it wasn't worthy y time.

Definately get a laywer. Last cop pulled me over for making a yellow light towed my car and gave me a speed racing ticket admitted i wasn't speeding. Said i burned my tires too. Got pictures showing the lack of tire marks the cop says in the court room that there were no tire marks because i was airborn! WTF at 34mph?!

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
I've always used Scott Wonder. Don't have his info to pass out and I havn't used him in a while since I've been in Japan for years. But if you're looking for top quality he is it. Charges for it too but has never let me down. Was 500$ a pop pretty much flat fee. Probably is alot higher now. I think I put his kids through school! hahaha

For a common speeding ticket I'll give this advice: Never EVER say how fast you were going or how fast you think you were going. If you say even 1mph over the speed limit you've just admited guilt. Just say if asked "I have no idea sir" or "I really don't know sir" If he insists just say "I really don't know sir, so I don't even want to guess" It'll piss the cop off so be careful not to say it in a sarcastic manner. You're also more likely to get a ticket than a warning however.
But without admiting guilt you have a chance to have the ticket dropped in court.

Also, there is no point of getting a reduction in price of a ticket at court. It still goes on your record. So everyone hoping to get a reduction in price just remember, you're really not getting a reduction. Higher insurance and easier to loose your license with just a ticket or few more. Also as Mark pointed out you're more likely to get tickets than warnings with a record. I look at the reduction thing as just a way the system sucks you into accepting a ticket. It's like a bribe to admit fault.

Be safe guys!

Ishii

edit: Forgot to mention one other thing.

Fight every ticket with a lawyer no matter how small it is. Don't just think it is a small fine and small citation and accept it. You might not be able to get out of your next ticket or the one after. So you're just stacking up a record and loosing your license easier.

·
The WOMANIZER
249 Posts
get prepaid legal for $14 a month and when you do, they'll go to court for you and call the radar tech, police officer or whoever and plead your case for you. usually gets dismiised because the either one of those two do not want to show up to court for it.

·
Swing on deezz!!!
2,155 Posts
Anyone gone through one of the deferral programs they have up there? Is it worth my efforts? It only costs a dollar more than the ticket, but it looks like I need to make an appearance at the clerks office in Olympia... :1poke:

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Anyone gone through one of the deferral programs they have up there? Is it worth my efforts? It only costs a dollar more than the ticket, but it looks like I need to make an appearance at the clerks office in Olympia... :1poke:
I paid Jeannie Mucklestone to handle a ticket in Centralia for me, and she was successful. I did a deferral in the past as well, but then another ticket caused the deferral to go away. :dunno:

In short, just get a lawyer.

·
Resident Corolla Driver!
26 Posts
get prepaid legal for $14 a month and when you do, they'll go to court for you and call the radar tech, police officer or whoever and plead your case for you. usually gets dismiised because the either one of those two do not want to show up to court for it.
And if you ever get in trouble with anything else they are there as well.. AND if you ever need a lawyer for such things as buying/selling property etc...

14/month is only a 168 a year.. So you would get 2yrs of legal service for what you paid that traffic lawyer one time..

I personally don't have prepaid legal but I knew this guy who did and he praised the hell out of it.

As for tickets... Best way to get out of one I've found is to:

A. Pull over immediately
B. Have your paperwork/license ready and in your hand with both hands on the steering wheel.
C. Be respectful and if you should need to get any other documents tell the cop all of your moves before you do them.

I used to live in PA and I've gotten like 4 tickets in NJ and I took 3 of them to court and got the fines reduced. NJ has no agreement with PA to share traffic history which is extremely nice since NONE of those tickets went on my driving record :).

As for the 4th ticket it would've been a drive to show up in court and I said screw it and never paid it.. so now I have a warrant for my arrest in NJ. Which still doesn't mean shit because it'll never show up on anything and now I live on the other side of the country lol.

I wonder if Oregon or Was. share info with PA... if not then I might just have to hold on to my PA license and hell even plate/registration... My parents still live there and I doubt they'll be moving out of state any time soon.

·
Swing on deezz!!!
2,155 Posts
I paid Jeannie Mucklestone to handle a ticket in Centralia for me, and she was successful. I did a deferral in the past as well, but then another ticket caused the deferral to go away. :dunno:

In short, just get a lawyer.
Thanks Chris, I went ahead and sent in an inquiry with Jeannie!

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Thanks Chris, I went ahead and sent in an inquiry with Jeannie!
It's a bit expensive (~$600 - 650), but she took care of me.

Funny thing is that I just got another ticket on the way from Sublimity -> Salem last weekend. Here's hoping Bruce Howlett covers Marion County!

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
I don't get it, why do you guys need lawyers to deal with your tickets? I just pay them and be done. Is it that the tickets affect insurance rates? If so, then I understand as mine doesn't affect anything other than my wallet :)

Duane

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
Fight every ticket with a lawyer no matter how small it is. Don't just think it is a small fine and small citation and accept it. You might not be able to get out of your next ticket or the one after. So you're just stacking up a record and loosing your license easier.
I did a deferral in the past as well, but then another ticket caused the deferral to go away.
Case and point. Sorry to hear that happened.

A deferral is admitting guilt and accepting a ticket. It's just the government is nice and says if you're a "Good boy" we'll let it slide, but if you mess up again "we will throw the book at you".

·
Swing on deezz!!!
2,155 Posts
Well...it's my first ticket in ten years...and I've owned my MkIV for almost three. Mucklestone came back with a $500 flat fee that includes everything but a guarantee...I'm on the fence at the moment.

·
The WOMANIZER
249 Posts
Well...it's my first ticket in ten years...and I've owned my MkIV for almost three. Mucklestone came back with a $500 flat fee that includes everything but a guarantee...I'm on the fence at the moment.
Dude go the $14 route first IMO...

I have Pre Paid Legal and used it to fight a BS Verizon collection for $4000 (yellow page ad) and it went away. They handle tickets as well... In fact I think it may be $10 a month for personal and $14 for business

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
Well...it's my first ticket in ten years...and I've owned my MkIV for almost three.
Sounds like you've saved enough money over the past 10 years to splurge $500.
I learned the hard way in the past that not using a lawyer is just silly. Sure it cost me money to use one, but I don't feel bad like I did with a file full of tickets.
The only thing is you have to be willing to pay the ticket ontop of the lawyer if you really are found guilty.

·
GT-R DUN, Son.
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's a bit expensive (~$600 - 650), but she took care of me.

Funny thing is that I just got another ticket on the way from Sublimity -> Salem last weekend. Here's hoping Bruce Howlett covers Marion County!
He does... or did the last time I got a ticket for racing a WRX on i5. oh yea....it was dismissed :)

·
Top Secret T88H
475 Posts
prepaid legal is the way to go especially if you are doing like twice the speed limit and are in extreme risk of going to jail.. you bust out your peace of mind card that they give you saying oh no officer please dont arrest me until i get my one phone call.. lol my friend loves that card with the shield on it.. ;)

1 - 20 of 94 Posts