Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a mk3... well put a payment on one and the paint is pretty shitty... (kinda) Just wondering for an average paint job how much you need to buy? Looking at some kickass paint colors and its a little pricy... and they sell in different quarts and stuff, how much can you paint a mk3 for? :sadance:

If anyone has an idea please lmk... Thanks :bowdown:

·
Where's my turbo?
242 Posts
Well, it depends on what you want. If you want cheap ($400+tax), go Maaco, but from experience in dealing with them, you'll have to go back to them a few times after they hand the key over so the paint doesn't look too bad (and they'll try to turn you away for whatever reason, so get back to them quickly).
I'm not sure about other shops, but there are small local shops that would probably do a better job and be more open to finishing the job properly and in good quality. Check the phone book for your options and hopefully others will post and let you know some more info about local Canadian shops.

Also, certain paint can be more expensive, like two or three stage paints (Pearl White, for example).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah not really looking for quotes on prices....

Just wondering on how much paint it takes? Gallon? quart? I just don't have a clue?

·
Where's my turbo?
242 Posts
My bad. Please, slap me. :1poke:
I couldn't tell you how much it takes. Man, I need to learn how to read.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Depends how much you paint and how many coats...

If you are doing the whole body, in the engine bay, door jams, hatch area, ect. Basically a full colour change you will need a gallon.

for mine...
-gallon urethane primer (4:1:1)
-quart reducer
-quart activator

-gallon 202 black onyx base coat (2:1)
-half gallon of medium reducer

-gallon of clear (1:1)
-gallon of overal hardener

Then of couse any other materials you need for rust repair and dings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts