Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· ELITECUSTOMBODY
7,365 Posts
it appears to be a regular basecoat /clearcoat paint with flattening agent added in the clearcoat , it also could be just straight basecoat with no clear, which cannot last long .unless it just sits at shows or in a garage

· HKS Twins
525 Posts
yeah, it looks like basecoat to me. What i think he is trying to achieve is look that was done in the 60's. DUll,FLAT and cheap! Lucky for you they sell that stuff in a can and it comes with a catalyst so that makes it durable and readily available.

Paul

· Premium Member
4,933 Posts
This look can be achieved properly, however it's not fun to keep clean at all (oil or any touches of the hand will cause the car to have a glossy look in that spot).

This is one of the best import executions of this paint I have seen. Chris Dye used gloss black vinyl on a flat black base to make the graphics stand out but still be subtle.

· Banned
327 Posts
standalone said:
really expensive primer
It is a flat clear over a black base. Any shop painting such an expensive show car wouldnt leave it just in primer. It could be a black base with no clear, but laying graphics over that wouldnt be a good idea, so that wouldnt make sense either.

· HKS Twins
525 Posts
In the old days yes they either left black primer or base coat only but nowadays manufactures have steped up to the plate and offer it as a color code. Only places who are not up to date on products dont know how to get a hold of this stuff. It is like anyother color and is durable just as any aftermarket refinish!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.