Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys i was bored out of my mind, and i had an extra set of valve covers laying around, so i said what the hell, and sandblasted/painted it. lmk wat u think. thnx

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Looks good man. I may be looking to do this type of thing. Will NA covers work on a turbo block?

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they should

·
Broke Supra Addicted Fool
767 Posts
I used some Krylon Wrinkle Paint on mine and than just used a razor and sliced off the layer of paint I got on the stripes and they came out awesome!

·
239RWHP @ 9PSI
1,882 Posts
nice!

·
Ask First Search Later
519 Posts
Those look really nice! What type of paint did you use? I used a high temp. air brush paint and air brushed mine but they are starting to peel and they look like ass now. Here's pics of mine freshly painted:

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mysupra87 said:
Those look really nice! What type of paint did you use? I used a high temp. air brush paint and air brushed mine but they are starting to peel and they look like ass now. Here's pics of mine freshly painted:

Those are nice, i sandblasted it, wiped it down so no oil/grease on there. high heat primer, high heat black, high heat red, aand high heat clear coat. let it sit for a week so it dries all the way, and it will last a hole lot longer :bigthumb:

·
Ask First Search Later
519 Posts
MADSUPRA88 said:
Those are nice, i sandblasted it, wiped it down so no oil/grease on there. high heat primer, high heat black, high heat red, aand high heat clear coat. let it sit for a week so it dries all the way, and it will last a hole lot longer :bigthumb:
Well, I buffed mine with a wire wheel, just used paint adhesive stuff(non HH so that may be it) high heat paint and high heat clear coat.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeap, even though theey dont get all that hot, its still pretty hot for non hh paint you knoe. those are lookin good though, the color is nice.

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
AlexSmith said:
Looks good man. I may be looking to do this type of thing. Will NA covers work on a turbo block?
NA covers will not work on a turbo head if you plan on mounting the coilpack in the same place...

·
Registered
696 Posts
im actualy in the process of piloshing my valve covers right now, they were blue but i didnt paint them good enough and my turbo and intake are both polished.. ill try and get some picts later, but i donno how to postill get my brother to help.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Killer MK3 said:
turbo head u mean/. :bigthumb:
Yeah whoops :doh: LOL

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Powdercoating is the only way to get the color you want, and have any hope of it holding up over time.
Next option is a good automotive two part paint. (Basicly an epoxy paint.)

99% of the "painted" ones I've seen have peeled in a short amount of time.

I've run powdercoated ones for years and years with no problems unless you scratch them, or otherwise damage them. The heat normally found under the hood does not affect them either.

Latest ones are powdercoated candy apple red with a clear coat added. Turned out very nice I think.

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
MADSUPRA88 said:
Sup guys i was bored out of my mind, and i had an extra set of valve covers laying around, so i said what the hell, and sandblasted/painted it. lmk wat u think. thnx

Those look sick! Want to sell them? lol I've been thinking about doing mine the same way.

·
the ferret wisperer
150 Posts
MADSUPRA88 said:
Actually valve covers are small enough to fit in the oven....just bake em at 150 for a half hour, let em cool completely then bake em at 200 for an hour. Let em cool completely and install em!

·
Registered
625 Posts
imho I dont really like the way the black and red turned out. Personally I think you should have sanded it smoother before painting to get rid of all the little bumps and what not. I did mine with high temp black and mine never flaked but did scratch through from hitting with a wrench. Im ethier powder coating mine or polishing them this time around.

·
Registered
198 Posts
very nice valve covers does anybody have a set of na valve covers they want to get rid of they don't have to look great just no cracks pm me : ) love the black and red

1 - 20 of 23 Posts