Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 95 headlights and i was gonna pull them off and bake them and then remove th eplastic cover and polish out the lense on the inside and out...

So since im gonna go through all that trouble of taking them all apart, i figured i might as well paint the inside of the housing black, like the 98s

What i was gonne use is some engine compartment semi gloss paint so it wont be shiny ot wont be too flat, just right... and since its going to be hot inside the headlights then using the engine compartment paint will be perfect.

My steps

take them apart.
sand down the chrome.. not completely off, but enough so it wont be shiny anymore
digrease the inside of the housing and then put a layer on then let dry in the sun, then paint another layer on in the shade, then another dry out in the sun (about 4-5 coats.)

any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
On my old TT the owner burned the passenger side headlight doing this. The driver side headlight looked badass though.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RossoCorsaItaly said:
On my old TT the owner burned the passenger side headlight doing this. The driver side headlight looked badass though.
is there a reason why it burned? how did he?... when he was taling it apart and baked it a little to much or the actual bulb burned the paint off? and what paint did he use ...

·
Stinks like sex in here..
343 Posts
I did my set couple months back, came out great. Look really nice on a black car. Looks like you know what your doing, but if your looking for what paint and what temp to cook in, do a littl search. When I did my set, found a bunch of threads on this.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
booster1 said:
I did my set couple months back, came out great. Look really nice on a black car. Looks like you know what your doing, but if your looking for what paint and what temp to cook in, do a littl search. When I did my set, found a bunch of threads on this.

well i got this far with how to take them apart and such
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/headlights/index.html

and ill be using the Semi-Gloss paint so i wont leave fingerprints in there and i think the flat will stand out better on a shiny car... shiny/shiny would look like i have chrome housing like the 95s... so flat is better IMO.

Now for the prep part, ill use a 400 first or 300 if it has some rough areas, with water. Then move up and finish off with 600 or 700 with water. Then wash them and clean them and then degrease them with gas or some degreaser.

Then mask out the chrome rings and blast away!!

ill prob try and do this next weekend or so... ill post some pics if someone is interested.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
step by step pics would be appreciated :)

·
SF's Cleanest
7,177 Posts
Just send them to mark, trust me, the $100 or so that he will charge will be MUCH less of a hassle than the trouble you will go through buying supplies and trying it figure it out yourself.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Xenon Supra said:
Just send them to mark, trust me, the $100 or so that he will charge will be MUCH less of a hassle than the trouble you will go through buying supplies and trying it figure it out yourself.
nah its alright, girls want guys with great skills!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts