Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,578 Posts
Hey thanks guys ;) I appreciate the compliments and I'm always glad that you guys (my customers) are happy/remain happy with my service :)

However, if you read in your other thread in mkiv section....you can paint them while on the car also. Just mask everything off with 18-36in paper and even if you do get overspray, just use a clay bar.

· Registered
3,578 Posts
nj94supratt said:
hey

I am painting my calipers.
1st how do you get them off. I see the two bolts. I cant get them to loosen any tricks. and does one go before the other.

i am doing black with the chrome sticker. Is it a good idea to do clear coat on top or will it yellow

thanks

matt

i know you can paint them without taking it off but I want it to look really nice

If you want "Really nice", then you might want to use a better paint than spray paint.

I always clear over chrome decals. I have no problems with yellowing, but I also use professional grade products that bodyshops use....not spray paint.

You can get decals/stencils made at your local sign shop if you want...just pull up the "supra" font from their 97-98 catalog and have them upload it into the computer, while adjusting for size and scale to our calipers.

Sean

· Registered
3,578 Posts
TT Tercel said:
I have seen a set that blkturbo did and they are nice. If you want to do it yourself, get some high temp lacquer. I got mine off ebay (folia tech) and its great. You brush it on, not spray

Thank you :) ..........

But just for the record, I do plenty more prep work to the calipers than anyone else would do, even to their own (and I dont mean the cleaning part).....and plus, my painting won't have brush strokes in it.

· Registered
3,578 Posts
Acrylic urethane clearcoat....basecoat/clearcoat system.

nj94 - I'll get with you later tonight.

Thanks

· Registered
3,578 Posts
Thanks for the polite comments PsyKotiC RydeR :)

By the way, as for getting the bolts off, you can break them off with an impact if you can get one....literally break the bolt heads off if you can.
Then slide the calipers off the remaining studs, then grab a hold of that portion and remove them, then replace with new bolts :)
Otherwise, get a good f*ckin grip on them with a 6-point wrench. A 12-point will round those fackers up :(

· Registered
3,578 Posts
You're welcome! :) Everything went pretty smooth or what? Any pics?

· Registered
3,578 Posts
Gotta click on the reputation icon under that person's avatar....

Xenon - I had some lame tool give me a negative rep for telling toyobeastly that I liked his painted headlights :rolleyes:

Reactions: nj94supratt

· Registered
3,578 Posts
The brake dust will build up on the clear just as without it.....it gets stuck/built up in the grooves. When I feel like it, I just get in the grooves with a toothbrush and car soap.

You're welcome Psykotic :)

· Registered
3,578 Posts
xskaboomx said:
Should I even bother then? I'm not picky about the finish (flat finish currently). It's not wiping off too easily however. Let me know what you think. Thanks again buddy.

Oh, so you're having trouble cleaning them all over?.....not just from in the creases?/ okay, I thought cleaning issues were a little too early for you. The build up I was talking about is simply the build up that you will naturally get in creases, over a period of time/mileage.

If you're having trouble just cleaning them in general....already.....then yeah, its pretty much because you used a spray paint (didnt you?), which is not a slick as flowed-out, professional-grade thickness that you'll get with auto paints (like on your car).
And generally speaking, yes, clearcoat (mainly the professional type, not spray can) will "flow-coat" the surface and make it easier for wiping down/cleaning.

I'd say a spray paint clear (2-4 coats) should help with this, but I cant promise how much....I'm just following the logic that it'll help more than it won't (as with your brakes the way they are now).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.